Cheap Granite Worktops

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Anyone else think Alan M is a granite God?? :)
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Meepster wrote: »

Yes.

Alan suggested a stonemason in Horley for me and they have turned out to be at least 10% cheaper than anyone else I considered. Plus, Alan's suggestion is 30 miles from me and the alternatives are only 10 miles away - work that out

Thanks again Alan
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Meepster wrote: »
    I think Alan M is great, one of a number of people on here who I find give invaluable advice. :)

But....it's a double edged sword at times !

If I had never found this forum I would have quite happily gone for a range cooker presented to me by a local kitchen company (Belling). However, once you start reading on here I am now leaning towards a RangeMaster Toledo with matching hood. Better cooker, but at a higher price!

My point? I guess a little knowledge gained can raise your expectations!
    (and perhaps your budget has to move to match...)
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    I've been in the kitchen industry for years, but have still managed to learn a couple of things from him...
    Innys wrote: »
    Yes.

Alan suggested a stonemason in Horley for me and they have turned out to be at least 10% cheaper than anyone else I considered. Plus, Alan's suggestion is 30 miles from me and the alternatives are only 10 miles away - work that out

Thanks again Alan

It is good to have someone who is willing to help out the best they can. Especially when they are doing it for your good and not any personal gain for themselves.
    kabayiri wrote: »
    I think Alan M is great, one of a number of people on here who I find give invaluable advice. :)

But....it's a double edged sword at times !

If I had never found this forum I would have quite happily gone for a range cooker presented to me by a local kitchen company (Belling). However, once you start reading on here I am now leaning towards a RangeMaster Toledo with matching hood. Better cooker, but at a higher price!

My point? I guess a little knowledge gained can raise your expectations!
    (and perhaps your budget has to move to match...)

I'd be leaning towards the Toledo too. I know you will be paying a little more for it, but quality wise, you are getting a MUCH better product.
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Thanks for comments people, it is appreciated. I do get a bit of stick on here from a minority that feel I'm touting for business - it's nice to know the advice is being taken in good faith though by most.

I re read post #23 on this thread I made nearly two years ago now. How things have changed.

As I type this sat in a hotel in Shanghai about to visit a second Quartz factory.

I lost a lot of confidence in the big brand products I found it overpriced and not able to deliver on it's promises, Chinese material has come a long long way in two years and there really is little differentiate the two products now, other than price of course.

Once you have good production and good quality control there's is absolutely nothing in it, in fact one of the big names was so impressed with some of our stock they took a sample back to their factory to replicate - I guess we should be flattered by that.

We've seen the market changing, lighter colours are coming back into fashion and in lighter colours quartz products have a lot of upsides.

If you're in the market for Black I still say you can't beat a bit of granite - but light colours quartz is the way forward.

Anyway "Made in China" no longer means it's automatically lower standard - it's going to take a long time to change perception of that fact, but it is a fact.
  • ddenver
    ddenver Posts: 6 Forumite
    I got few qoutes for Star Galaxy granite worktops ranging fr0m 1150 to 2350

The one for 1150GBP is from Cardiff Granite( the website looks okayish)
    includes undermounted sink drainer grooves , they will do templating first , would take 30 percent deposit after that and do fitting in a week. I have seen there workshop, with two men only working. there wasnt any showroom to impress,not sure if they would be able to provide good customer care afterwards(Do i need to consider that?)They say that Star Galaxy they are getting is from the same quarry supplying other south Wales businesses.

I am bit confused as it seems to good to be true...

Any suggestions
  • Alan_M_2
    £1150 for supply and fit is terribly cheap for a galaxy job - they must be very keen to get the work.

I'm not entirely sure how they know where their competitors buy Galaxy - that's just a line.

I've never actually seen any of Terry's work, He used to buy from us but we've not seen him for some time.
  • ddenver
    I am inclined to go with them...considering their cheap price:)
    but confused....

Do i need to consider...aftercare/aftersale...:)
  • Alan_M_2
    If it's fitted as it should be - i.e. right first time there shouldn't be any real need for backup/aftersales.

They are not fly by nights, they've been established for some time.
  • ddenver
    Thanks alot Alan

I will go with Cardiff Granite:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business