PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you Bibbitybob, I will look at LA when I'm over in town next week.

Good for you colouring the light shades.

Used to live nearish a Reject shop that had a massive fabric section that I would get material from - must google it to see if it's still on the go.
    Ebay is interesting-ish for fabric, but I want to kinda feel the thickness of it. But if I see owt that I think would do I might ask for a sample before ordering the lot I need - which will only be a few metres. But don't want to get something not suitable.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bumping the Thread
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Hello everyone. I havent posted here for ages but I have had a little success with a shabby chic item this very week in fact!

I bought a little pine decorative shelf unit, country cottage style, you know the kind of thing, from a friend when her mum was moving out of her house to downsize. I sanded, primed and roughly painted it and it looked really nice. But after all my work hubby didn't want it up and tbh there wasn't an ideal place to put it. So it sat under the wardrobe for about a year.

Been having a clear out lately and speculatively put it on eBay and I'm delighted to say it sold after only a couple of days! I've got a great price for it and the lady collecting seemed really pleased with it! So smiles all round :D

Looking for other small pieces to do the same with now!
  • pollyanna_26
    Good to see you Hoploz . I love those decorative pine shelves painted up . I have three in different room and one waiting for the day when I get time to turn the smallest spare bedroom into a sewing / craft room .
    I've been hoping to do it since 2012 and real life keeps happening instead .
    My favourite shelf is in the main downstairs room and is a flat white painted one , not distressed . I think it's up in the top 5 of my favourite pieces and not to be parted with .
    I do pale neutral walls thing and play around with different coloured soft furnishings . Winter mode is lots of red , grey , white and silver and putting all the tealights , stitched hearts , ornaments and other bits and pieces on that wall shelf is my favorite bit of getting ready for Christmas . Apart from the obvious christmas stuff it's still in winter mode as life has been pretty full on .I've just added other suitable bits .
    At the moment I'm searching for a very pale grey paint as I'm thinking of using it on the walls . I've tried a ridiculous amount of testers, ones from family and friends stashes and so many seem to have a bit of a yellow or green tinge . I like the grey/blue ones but the seem thin on the ground .
    Selling your piece seems to have been a win , win . You've been spared storing something you can't find a space for and it sounds as though you have one happy buyer and money to help reward your hard work .

Bluebell I hope the little ones and yourself are well . I've wondered if you ever found the time to do any of the things you wanted to .

I'll pop in when I can
    Take care all
    polly x

• zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    Not much action on here. I'm thinking that as the nights draw in its a good time to get on with some crafting, up cycling, sewing, knitting etc. What's on your list for this winter?
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • Have just purchased the stuff to have a go at making my own chalk paint as I have a chair ready to paint. i need a china cupboard for my fabric stash and I am thinking about decorating a bedroom so looking at ideas. I enjoy watching "French Connection" and "Money for nothing"
  • Absolock
    Absolock Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Things pretty much ground to a halt through having to house move to a modern rented house in England while trying to sell our characterful beamed and stone house in West Wales. I brought all the 'brown' furniture including a half-sanded oak two drawers chest I never got around to finishing. We hope to be in a new 'old' house 'by Christmas' so if all goes to plan I'll be getting crafty up cycling as soon as the weather warms up enough to do the sanding outside.

I used to enjoy cross stitching and still have the silks to produce something.

For the winter, though, I think it will be interior decorating and making curtains and maybe a new sausage dog draught excluder. One thing we will need is a lot of book shelving - we didn't bother unpacking 99% of our books, DVD's and CD's so that will be the top of the To Do list.
    Currently renovating a house. Too much house left after the end of the month's money
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As the weather is getting better. Anybody doing any painting? I have just bought a pine extending table and have sanded top and chalk painted base. And to save money have repainted my old chairs same colour.
    Is looking really good:)
    Have paint left so I am going to paint and decoupage some mason jars.
    What is everyone else up to?
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • pollyanna_26
    Bumping the thread Hope to catch up next weekend .
    polly :)

• Tinydancer
    Tinydancer Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi all, I used to be on here many, many moons ago and posted under a different name.
    I remember Bibbitybob........she says, waving frantically.
    Pollyanna gave me the heads up to pop over and have a look.

Have recently acquired an pine table for the kitchen, so I sanded the top back to bare wood and painted the legs. Gave it a new lease of life. Also painted an MDF shelf that looks more like a mantle. Goint to put that above a sofa with bits and bobs on. I got DH to put it up yesterday using Velcro type hangers which are supposed to be able to carry a heavy weight.
    I dressed it beautifully with candle, candlesticks, propped up picture etc etc.....and it looked lovely.
    For half an hour!!! We heard an almighty crash and the lot was on the floor, complete with shattered candle glass. Aaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure