Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Chlorine7
    Chlorine7 Posts: 256 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Virgin is one of the worst providers to deal with. They couldn't simply change the person paying for the bill in my flat when my previous housemate moved out. I spent hours on the phone to them trying to sort out connections and refused to pay me back for my phone bill even though it was all their mistakes. I found a complaints process on their website. Funny how I quickly got the money for bill after that. I went to Sky instead.

My friend signed up to Virgin, waited 3 weeks with no broadband and on the day the engineer was due to come to the flat Virgin said they didn't have a connection there and it would take 6 weeks to get council approval and the CS agent lied to him stating there was no complaints process or department. Once he called back to cancel the order they suddenly offered him a dongle (not offered the morning of the cancelled engineer) I convinced him to move to BT. No issues at all.

A colleague tried to move to Virgin after Virgin spent thousands installing a box in the new build he lives in. Turns out they hadn't figured out how to connect the box to any of the flats. He's going to Sky.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edirepair wrote: »
    Talk Weekends + VIVID 200 Gamer
    12 Months contract
    £50 package price
    -£29 discount for 12 months
    new price: £21 total

Just to add to this one, I finally got them down to the same price for 150mb and talk weekends. So maybe not quite the same BB speed as edirepair but very happy with £21/month versus the £38 I was on before... and they are sending me a new router (not that my current one is that old).
  • hunsbury0
    hunsbury0 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ratechaser wrote: »
    Just to add to this one, I finally got them down to the same price for 150mb and talk weekends. So maybe not quite the same BB speed as edirepair but very happy with £21/month versus the £38 I was on before... and they are sending me a new router (not that my current one is that old).

How long did you have to wait to get this deal after giving your notice?
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They were phoning me pretty much from the moment I cancelled. I made them sweat for a few days though...

Really, compared with Sky, Virgin are not hard to beat down... they know what BT are offering and this current price is there to compete with it - makes sure you tell them you are getting £100 TCB on top of BTs own £150 cash back offer...
  • hunsbury0
    ratechaser wrote: »
    They were phoning me pretty much from the moment I cancelled. I made them sweat for a few days though...

Really, compared with Sky, Virgin are not hard to beat down... they know what BT are offering and this current price is there to compete with it - makes sure you tell them you are getting £100 TCB on top of BTs own £150 cash back offer...

I have to ring vm tomorrow to give notice & it is also the last day for BT reward offer of £150, so I hope they offer a good deal or else I will go to BT 52mb which is enough for me. I need to know before 8.00pm tomorrow. I will also go through TCB.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 7:39AM
    Just had my new bill for £33 for telephone weekends and 50Mb broadband.

How do you haggle?

I tried last year, no interest in adding services (just want to pay less) if anything I only want BB. I give notice last year after they wouldn't drop as said I wouldn't find anyone else that is generous to allow me to download an average 300Gb a month - online gaming and TV/Movie streaming.

Waited for my call and nothing, I had to call last day myself it was disconnecting in 4 hours. I belive they could only offer £29 and i had to take it - it was cheaper with the telephone weekends (makes no sense).

I see what offers have had and think how?! More for less than me :(

I don't want to lo leave as cannot fault the service itself, and if I went with anyone else will have to A BT line installed.
  • hunsbury0
    I have given my notice. They best that they could do was £32 & thats only for 100mb broadband. Without landline.
    I cannot understand why to some they have done deals for £ 18 for 150 or 200mb broadband & landline.
    So I am off to BT. Today is the last day for the bt £150 reward.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hunsbury0 wrote: »
    I have given my notice. They best that they could do was £32 & thats only for 100mb broadband. Without landline.
    I cannot understand why to some they have done deals for £ 18 for 150 or 200mb broadband & landline.
    So I am off to BT. Today is the last day for the bt £150 reward.

As has been said on numerous occasions, to get the best deal you need to give notice then wait for the call from Outbound.retentiobs. Inbound Retentions (those you call to give notice) have access to limited offers but not the best ones. Giving notice shows them you are serious - putting in an order elsewhere with a phone number port works even better according to reports of results on here and elsewhere.

If you have placed a BT order you have 14 days to cancel without penalty (assuming not installed before then). Don't be bounced into a BT order by the offer - the combination of £109 cashback/£150 gift xard or £150 cashback and £109 giftcards has been repeating for months so may renew in some form.

If your cancellation is now on then you should hopefully start receiving calls over the next week.
  • hunsbury0
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:27AM
    Anon wrote: »
    As has been said on numerous occasions, to get the best deal you need to give notice then wait for the call from Outbound.retentiobs. Inbound Retentions (those you call to give notice) have access to limited offers but not the best ones. Giving notice shows them you are serious - putting in an order elsewhere with a phone number port works even better according to reports of results on here and elsewhere.

If you have placed a BT order you have 14 days to cancel without penalty (assuming not installed before then). Don't be bounced into a BT order by the offer - the combination of £109 cashback/£150 gift xard or £150 cashback and £109 giftcards has been repeating for months so may renew in some form.

If your cancellation is now on then you should hopefully start receiving calls over the next week.

I have given up with vm, as I have given the notice, I will go to bt , also my landline has to be active at the time of transfer to port the number over. I will go to bt as long as I can get min 20mb unlimited broadband. They guarantee minimum is 50 mb for my address.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you have someone else in your household that could sign up as a new customer then you might be able to get one of the fantastic deals that are available. Like the one I got - TV, 100Mbps broadband, weekend phone package, line rental - all for £23 per month along with free activation and £50 credit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback