Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Tesco food bank collections

Options

Comments

• calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    For the record I wasn't offended.......

Just thought it was a bit OTT.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Truepat
    Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2014 at 7:07AM
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Sanctimonious, self righteous, rude, arrogant and insulting....you going for the record or something?
    Common characteristics of many left whingers.
    Peel away their charade of caring and you will find out the real person who is totally dishonest, lacks integrity and is only interested in lining their own pockets.
    35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
    When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I have donated to food banks in the past...and will be doing so again.

In the past I have had to rely on this sort of help myself. (Benefits are NOT that generous....and multiple c*ck-ups by the JC+ meant I was without any money on a number of occasions - and somehow still had to make rent, bills et.c...food- any food was a luxury)...I still live on benefits (disability now) but if I can help those who are struggling then I am only too happy to help.

However....I have to admit that I have reservations about donating via Tescos. I have done so in the past, but over the past year I have become more and more disillusioned with them.

I will donate via my local Church.

I am passionate about foodbanks. I think it is a disgrace that in a so-called civilized society, so many should be reliant on them - including people who work but whose wage is so low they cannot feed their families.....However, this is a PERSONAL passion (which I am thrilled others share!), and I do not think that anyone should feel coerced into donating. (I do mention foodbanks to others....maybe let them know where they could donate...but then leave it to them)
  • UKGuy
    UKGuy Posts: 15,571 Forumite
    Options
    The Tesco haters will pounce on and whinge about whatever Tesco do regardless of whether it's good or bad!
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    In the Camborne - Redruth - Pool area the Tesco supermarkets are the most supportive and have permanent baskets by the checkouts for donations. The one Morrisons does too.

http://cprfoodbank.co.uk/drop-off-points/

funny how all of a sudden when theres a chance of free food the majority of the population jump on the i'm poor and cant afford to feed my kids bandwagon , they can afford big screen tvs , game consoles , mobiles and baccy though

i know as i live in the area
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • itch_for_a_glitch
    Options
    I have donated to food banks in the past...and will be doing so again.

In the past I have had to rely on this sort of help myself. (Benefits are NOT that generous....and multiple c*ck-ups by the JC+ meant I was without any money on a number of occasions - and somehow still had to make rent, bills et.c...food- any food was a luxury)...I still live on benefits (disability now) but if I can help those who are struggling then I am only too happy to help.

However....I have to admit that I have reservations about donating via Tescos. I have done so in the past, but over the past year I have become more and more disillusioned with them.

I will donate via my local Church.

I am passionate about foodbanks. I think it is a disgrace that in a so-called civilized society, so many should be reliant on them - including people who work but whose wage is so low they cannot feed their families.....However, this is a PERSONAL passion (which I am thrilled others share!), and I do not think that anyone should feel coerced into donating. (I do mention foodbanks to others....maybe let them know where they could donate...but then leave it to them)
    Its clear from your post that benefits are overly generous (no surprise), that you live entirely dependent on benefits yet regularly donate to food banks is proof of that.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    jinty271 wrote: »
    Personally, I have my own opinions about how budgeting /money management would be a better service for people who generally need to use Food Banks, however I can appreciate that in the interim period, some people fall through the cracks until their adequate benefits get sorted and I am happy to add to my monthly standard donations ( Third World, pets, Genetic issues, Cardiac issues) by flinging in a couple of extra tins if there is a campaign on in the supermarket. We have also chucked in a couple of Advent Calenders.
    Martin is helping to fund exactly that with the Trussell Trust:
    http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbanks-new-financial-programme
  • Steve_Perry_2
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    funny how all of a sudden when theres a chance of free food the majority of the population jump on the i'm poor and cant afford to feed my kids bandwagon , they can afford big screen tvs , game consoles , mobiles and baccy though

i know as i live in the area

Oh good some more sweeping generalisations to add to the mix !
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Its clear from your post that benefits are overly generous (no surprise), that you live entirely dependent on benefits yet regularly donate to food banks is proof of that.

Yes...I am entirely dependant on benefits - after years of working full-time, part-time and voluntarily.

I was born with a number of disabilities and worked for many years despite this - Not all benefits claimants are work-shy scroungers!

It is true I no longer work - my disabilities worsened to the point when work is no longer possible - something I fought like mad! I now live in sheltered housing as I need extra support - but am determined to keep my independence as long as possible.

Yes, I donate regularly to food banks. ...but within my means....a jar of 'value' coffee and a packet of 'value' biscuits costs less than £1 but can make a struggling family feel a little more 'normal' in a crappy situation as they have a cuppa and a biccie.

I do not have a widescreen TV....I do not have pay-for-view TV....I have a bottom-of-the-range mobile on a £5 a month contract....I do not own games consoles and the latest games (oh wait....I have a second hand Nintendo DS given to me a few years ago!)....I do not smoke...I rarely drink....It is hardly a cushy life on benefits.

But there are people who do not want to believe this. They want to believe the Daily Mail, the Channel 5 'documentaries', the government -approved bile. It is much more comfortable for them to see all benefits claimants as lazy scroungers living in luxury at tax-payers expense....rather than opening their eyes and seeing benefits life as it really is. After all, if they did this then their conscience might be pricked and they might actually have to DO something about it!

If anyone really believes that my life is easy and I have overly-generous benefits....then swap with me! Take my disabilities.....take the daily meds - with the various side-effects....give up your independence before you are 50 ....live off benefits and see how much you are left with after topping up your rent and council tax benefits and paying your bills........in return I will gladly have your health, the chance to work again and regain independence and self-esteem.......
  • UKGuy
    UKGuy Posts: 15,571 Forumite
    Options
    Yes...I am entirely dependant on benefits - after years of working full-time, part-time and voluntarily.

I was born with a number of disabilities and worked for many years despite this - Not all benefits claimants are work-shy scroungers!

It is true I no longer work - my disabilities worsened to the point when work is no longer possible - something I fought like mad! I now live in sheltered housing as I need extra support - but am determined to keep my independence as long as possible.

Yes, I donate regularly to food banks. ...but within my means....a jar of 'value' coffee and a packet of 'value' biscuits costs less than £1 but can make a struggling family feel a little more 'normal' in a crappy situation as they have a cuppa and a biccie.

I do not have a widescreen TV....I do not have pay-for-view TV....I have a bottom-of-the-range mobile on a £5 a month contract....I do not own games consoles and the latest games (oh wait....I have a second hand Nintendo DS given to me a few years ago!)....I do not smoke...I rarely drink....It is hardly a cushy life on benefits.

But there are people who do not want to believe this. They want to believe the Daily Mail, the Channel 5 'documentaries', the government -approved bile. It is much more comfortable for them to see all benefits claimants as lazy scroungers living in luxury at tax-payers expense....rather than opening their eyes and seeing benefits life as it really is. After all, if they did this then their conscience might be pricked and they might actually have to DO something about it!

If anyone really believes that my life is easy and I have overly-generous benefits....then swap with me! Take my disabilities.....take the daily meds - with the various side-effects....give up your independence before you are 50 ....live off benefits and see how much you are left with after topping up your rent and council tax benefits and paying your bills........in return I will gladly have your health, the chance to work again and regain independence and self-esteem.......

Well said! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport