PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mandy_moo i am sooooooooooooo hyper now, very crazy, did get some great flat shoes for dancing in at m&s yesterday, kind of flipflops with big pink roses on them.

i'll def put a pic up, have to show the wedding thread gals as well
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• 4Moneysaver
    4Moneysaver Posts: 116 Forumite
    I'm in. A single woman living on her own, no cat (yet) a passion for thrifty cooking and a whole lot of takeaway containers to fill with meals that I'll be creating once a week.I have no idea what I usually spend but I'm aiming to keep my monthy expenditure under £100.I have lots of store cupboard reserves already so this shouldn't be a problem....let's see! Good luck everyone.
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • Here goes - yesterday was pay day and today is my first day of GC. I have my allowance in cash in a separate purse.

There is plenty in my freezer and storecupboard for main meals but I need to shop and plan for packed lunches to take to work. I think that soup and some sort of salad is the answer, so will be checking out recipes tonight ready for the market tomorrow. Lunch in the staff restaurant can range from £3 to £5 and I think I can do a better lunch for less money if I just get organised.
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    went into town this morning to do my gran's shopping and i only spent £2 myself...on 2 more sealed money box tins.

Can I ask where you got your money tins from? I want to get something to save £2 coins in to go towards the wedding, that I can't open easily. I like the look of those terramundi jars, but they are SOOOOO expensive!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good afternoon GC'ers :)

First day of the month and I rushed straight off to the supermarket, shopping list in one hand, shopping bags in the other. I've now spent half my August budget but did manage to get a very large chicken, some pork steaks and turkey breast fillets all half price, so I'm happy with my haul. £20.01 spent, £19.99 left for the entire month but I do have a £10 Asda voucher tucked away for topping up the stockpile first chance I get. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Right, I'm going to try and be in for this month. I'm aiming at £20 a week as I'm trying to clear out my freezer and cupboards ready for a big shop when DD goes back to school in September ;) Also I'm aiming at £10 a week for travel costs (excluding trips to ex's to drop DD off at £10 a time, which I'll have a word with him about reimbursing me for even if its just half!) So I'm going to try and keep track of that here. £5 contingency for REAL emergencies.

Currently in my purse £16 and I'm hoping to make it stretch to next Friday ;) With DD off school this may or may not prove to be a struggle. :confused:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ohh my 1st challange can u put gailey down for £200 a month please.:j
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    Hi all. Went £30 over last month so willl try for £200 this month. I have lots of fruit from last autumn so will make some crumbles and pies. My month started last Sunday and have already spent £70:eek: and yet do not really seem to have much for it. It will be an expensive month as I'm going on a course for a weekend. B&B and train fare paid for but I still have to pay for food whilst away. I'm leaving DH on his own, goodness knows what will be left in the freezer when I get back. Proably find he has lived on takeaways.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • nicnacnoo
    nicnacnoo Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    NSD for me today, not got much food in so will be off shopping tomorrow, went to my mams and managed to get dinner out of her for me and the kids so cant be bad.
    Tea is sorted, ive got potatoes and carrots in, im sure theres something in the freezer to go with that.

good luck all
    Nic
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi everyone, just updated signature will catch up on all the posts later, not a good start alreay spent £45.17:eek: . Must go and sort out some sort of meal plan for next week an easy one, problem is soooooooo tired, make a meal plan then just haven't got the energy to stick to it! Going to go and check the budget that should give me a kick in the right direction to get my act together;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure