Work shy relative is becoming a nuisance

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Reminds me of the disfunctional family of the late lamented Blue Lass!

Trophies, Christmas lunch, black plimsolls, fake Uggs, blazers....all variations on a theme. I'm so pleased my family don't poke their noses into my business and start threads on me.:D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Trophies - to be engraved as well! Wow! :D

At least its original: if unbelievable.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    I have said this before I am not blue lass. I'm sure other members on here have quirky family members and unfortunately I'm one of those members. My aunt is a pensioner and only receives her works pension. She had to work until she was 71 due to her bone idle son and he has no shame about that. He goes to a local pub once a week and has a 30 a day smoking habit. He know wants to claim care attendance for himself be saying my aunt is infirm and needs 24 hour care at home. This is because he will no longer have to claim JSA if he does so and they job centre are pressing him to get into paid employment. He is like a petulant teen. He has never even known what it's like to pay a bill. My aunt won't be around forever and he assumes the house will be his if she dies and his sister won't get her half because he has always lived at home. He annoys me there are plenty of jobs he is capable of but he doesn't want to be a tax payer.
    It's not "care attendance".

Your Aunt would need to claim Attendance Allowance and then he could apply for Carer's Allowance.

And it's not that easy to be awarded Attendance Allowance.
    It really isn't as simple saying 'my Mother is infirm and needs 24 hour care at home'.

But - none of this is any of your business.

Continue saying 'no' to his requests for money and leave them to it.

If anyone should get involved it should be your Aunt's daughter.
    What is she doing about this?

Did you ever resolve the issue of the 'fake' jewellery you sold?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone who has been unemployed for over 2 decades and only has a drivers license and an obsolete IT qualification doesn't get offered a job with a salary of £25,000.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Last month he wanted £ 100 so he could buy a trophy and have it engraved for a pub friend who won a quiz, he expected his sister and myself plus 2 other cousins to chip in.

This doesn't make sense to me.
    Why would somebody want to pay £100 for a trophy for somebody else who's won a pub quiz?
    Surely the pub would supply the trophy if the quiz was that important.
    And to expect other family members to pay towards it......
    .that beggars belief
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I find it v hard to believe that someone would sit on JSA since 1996 and only get a few sanctions. Sanctions have been in place for at least ten years. If he had refused 3 jobs he could easily have ended up on a 3 year sanction.

His JSA will be replaced by universal credit sooner or later and its got much stricter conditions than JSA for people jobseeking. You have to show you are jobseeking 35 hours a week if you are in the all work group. Actively seeking work.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Someone who has been unemployed for over 2 decades and only has a drivers license and an obsolete IT qualification doesn't get offered a job with a salary of £25,000.

Took the words right out my mouth!
  • Bath_cube
    Options
    My aunt is sick of him and his sister has told him to pull his socks up and act his age but he tells her to do one. The trophy because he wants to look like the big working class hero. He has told us his pub mates think he is a forklift driver in a argos warehouse and they treat him to drinks because he told them he is getting less than the NMW. He is a sponge for sure. Thank God I live miles from him or I would kick his but.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Its not your business to be fair
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »

Exactly what I was going to say. I have multiple IT qualifications and worked since I was 14 and have had to work my way up from the bottom. My lack of driving has held me back from a few promotions but I've been given others. Only now I'm at a £25,000 a year position (finally decided to learn to drive so got a long awaited promotion a few weeks back just weeks after passing my test). I know so many people in the industry and these days there are not that many IT jobs paying that sort of wage and never to a new starter with an old qualification and lack of work history. It just wouldn't happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure