PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor wants to leave things in garage

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Margot123 wrote: »
    All I can hear is: 'are you stupid enough to provide free storage, guard my stuff, keep out of the garage in case you damage something, provide me with access when I want it, let my relative/friend/dodgy acquaintance in at their convenience....ad infinitum......'.

For all you know it could be something dodgy you are taking care of

I think this is a ridiculously risk averse view to take.

If you take the view that you are not going to do anything nice because there is a chance of it going wrong, you'd never get out of bed in the morning. You wouldn't take a shower for fear you'd slip on a bar of soap and break your neck.

And you'd certainly never buy a property. Because for all you know the electrics could be dangerous, and the roof could be falling down, and the neighbour could be a serial killer.

Back in the real world, is it really that much of an inconvenience to have someone's stuff in your garage for a few days while they move?

The risk of the seller leaving their crap in the garage for a few days longer than you'd like is a tiny risk in the overall list of risks one takes when buying a property.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    Forumite
    I think this is a ridiculously risk averse view to take.

If you take the view that you are not going to do anything nice because there is a chance of it going wrong, you'd never get out of bed in the morning. You wouldn't take a shower for fear you'd slip on a bar of soap and break your neck.

And you'd certainly never buy a property. Because for all you know the electrics could be dangerous, and the roof could be falling down, and the neighbour could be a serial killer.

Back in the real world, is it really that much of an inconvenience to have someone's stuff in your garage for a few days while they move?

The risk of the seller leaving their crap in the garage for a few days longer than you'd like is a tiny risk in the overall list of risks one takes when buying a property.

So far I haven't heard any ideas as to what happens if someone breaks in and steals stuff left in garages or gardens?
  • jimbo747 wrote: »
    Tell them to stick it in one of those self storage places. A garage style lock up for the month will be £100 or so. And they can get cracking now rather than moving day.

It's what we did for most of our stuff as we were moving ourselves, granted it was only 200 metres down the road.

Some will collect it all for you for a bit more money.
  • steampowered
    Forumite
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    So far I haven't heard any ideas as to what happens if someone breaks in and steals stuff left in garages or gardens?

Someone could break in and steal things regardless of whether the seller's stuff is there or not.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What do you mean by "what happens"?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2018 at 10:12AM
    Doing something nice is what you do by donating to charity, giving a handout to someone on the street, helping out a friend when they need a hand, it is not giving a total stranger free access to your property (ie your garage etc). My garage is for keeping my car in (yes i know this is revolutionary these days) it is not for other people's junk.
  • Cakeguts
    Forumite
    Someone could break in and steal things regardless of whether the seller's stuff is there or not.

Of course they can but what would the vendor say to the buyer if someone broke in and stole the vendor's stuff that they had left behind? Would they be likely to accuse the buyer of taking it?
  • steampowered
    Forumite
    Of course they can but what would the vendor say to the buyer if someone broke in and stole the vendor's stuff that they had left behind? Would they be likely to accuse the buyer of taking it?

Then the buyer confirms they didn't steal the stuff, and there is nothing more the seller can do?

This is getting a bit silly now. The chances of a garage getting burgled so that the burglars can steal miscellaneous items of furniture, and the buyer then accusing the seller of stealing the stuff, are pretty much zero.
  • Cakeguts
    Forumite
    Then the buyer confirms they didn't steal the stuff, and there is nothing more the seller can do?

This is getting a bit silly now. The chances of a garage getting burgled so that the burglars can steal miscellaneous items of furniture, and the buyer then accusing the seller of stealing the stuff, are pretty much zero.

We don't know what the seller wants to leave behind. I think it is more likely that someone will steal pots from a garden. Getting into the garden may be a problem but if the house is empty thieves have all the time they need especially over a weekend.

Many places are watched before people break in so that they know when they are unattended.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We don't know what the seller wants to leave behind. I think it is more likely that someone will steal pots from a garden.

But the seller has already lived there for (presumably) years with exactly the same risk applying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure