Uni fees on credit card?

Hi there I want to pay my uni fees with some sort of reward/cashback card totalling £4030. I originally wanted to use my BA Amex which has a limit of £6000 however my university does not accept Amex. As an alternative I am thinking about using my Nationwide Select which gives 0.5% cash back however this card as an abysmal limit of £1000. I rang Nationwide and they said if I "pre-load" my card the cash back will only be credited up to £1000.

However would there be an issue of putting multiple £1000 charges on the card and paying them off in turn immediately to allow cash back to be credited on all the fees?

Comments

• shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    philip1427 wrote: »
    However would there be an issue of putting multiple £1000 charges on the card and paying them off in turn immediately to allow cash back to be credited on all the fees?

Presumably the cashback is awarded on the statement amount. So you'd need to be able to spread the payments over 4 months.

IF the university are happy for you to do so then it should work!
  • shiny76 wrote: »
    Presumably the cashback is awarded on the statement amount. So you'd need to be able to spread the payments over 4 months.

IF the university are happy for you to do so then it should work!

Could I not do this over four days by immediately paying off my balance to allow access to my full credit limit again?
  • philip1427 wrote: »
    Could I not do this over four days by immediately paying off my balance to allow access to my full credit limit again?

I fail to see what you are trying to achieve.

do you have the cash to pay off multiple £1000 payments on the credit card? if you do why all the cloak and dagger stuff to get £20 cashback in the credit card.

if not do you have 0% fees and interest on balance transfers on the amex card? if not the interest and fees on 4k will be a killer
  • I'm trying to achieve some cashback on a large purchase. Of course I can pay it off. If I couldn't I would be using student finance.
    20 quid is 20 quid, eh?

PS I don't think Amex does 0% finance
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try hagling, see if the Uni will take 4K cash :D
  • I wish lol

From this link, It would appear to be awarded on purchases. In which case doing it over x days and paying off in between should work - assuming Nationwide counted the transaction as a purchase.

I say x days as it pay take more than 1 day to for each transaction (debit and credit) to hit your account.
  • Thanks for all the replies. In case anyone else is in this situation, I rang Nationwide this morning. They stated that cashback is only paid up to the credit limit per month. Therefore I can only gain cashback on £1500 of my purchase. I hope this helps anyone else trying to 'work the system'

I have currently maxed out my credit card which I intend to pay off in full straight away when the charge hits my account. Hopefully this will spur Nationwide on to offer me a credit limit increase.
    I'm trying to achieve some cashback on a large purchase. Of course I can pay it off. If I couldn't I would be using student finance.
    20 quid is 20 quid, eh?

PS I don't think Amex does 0% finance

They do - https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/rewards-purchases-credit-card/
  • Will your uni offer a discount for payment in full up front maybe? Southampton Uni offer 1% for example.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport