PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chutney overload!

Hi there,

I really love making jams and chutneys from cheap or ys goodies but we seem to have a serious backlog of chutney. Strangely, the jam never hangs about. :D I just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to use it up (aside from with the usual cheese and cold meats)?

In case it make a difference, we have:
Spiced carrot chutney
Beetroot and cherry
Chilli and tomato jam
Various other odds and sods.

Any help much appreciated! :j
Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Got a cheese and chutney loaf from Tesco the other day, I guess any flavour chutney would give it a little zing.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Send some to me :)
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you put it out when you have curry etc? A dollop IN curry is usually good, too.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Blob a tasty huge spoonful alongside chips.
    A big blob's good with a quiche.
    Toppings for burgers.
    The chilli/tomato you could use as a pizza sauce layer on naan or pitta based pizzas.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have a passion for red onion chutney and its around a quid a jar !!! never made it, but if prices keep going up I may have to is it easy to make do you think ??? I couls easily do a jar or two a week :):):)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,597 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I serve chutney with kebabs, chilli, curry, spicy pilaff.

When cooking, if something needs a kick or a touch of sweetness then a blob goes in. I have red cabbage braising in the SC at the moment - that will get a blob of chilli jelly at some point.
    I am lucky that I have a cellar but I have enough chutney of various flavours to last me for years - and being homemade it will last that long and not go off in the fridge after being open for 6 weeks like the shop bought rubbish does!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,597 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a passion for red onion chutney and its around a quid a jar !!! never made it, but if prices keep going up I may have to is it easy to make do you think ??? I couls easily do a jar or two a week :):):)

Costco do a massive jar of the caramelised one for not very much - I think it is a kilo
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks! Some great suggestions, having quiche for tea tonight so will be dolloping it on that!

JackieO, I've made that before and it's fairly simple. Cheap too if you have brown sugar and whatever vinegars in stock already! Does make the house stink of vinegar though!:rotfl:
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I usually share my jars with family. If I've really overdone it, they go to work for people to help themselves. I enjoy making it more than eating it.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Got a cheese and chutney loaf from Tesco the other day, I guess any flavour chutney would give it a little zing.
    Me too (YS of course :D) and shared it warm with my family, alongside butter and a good dollop of tomato chutney. It was bloomin' lovely :)

I'd be inclined to stick an ad on Freecycle, offering one jar per person. You will be surprised at the goodwill this creates in the community. Even if people don't reciprocate, decent folk will feel more inclined to nice things for other people. You could initiate a virtuous circle :A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure