Flexible Working. Reduce lunch break...

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    But they dont need all their staff from 4.30 which is obvious. Think you will Find majority of offiice type employers offer flexible working for their employees these days

You do not know this as fact. And ultimately, the employer can run their business anyway they see fit as long as it remains within the legal parameters. Just because some may not agree or like it doesn't mean the employer is wrong.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could the op maybe confirm -

What were your old (original) hours, were they 9-5, with an hour lunch unpaid?

What have they agreed? To finish earlier, start earlier or both?

Have they agreed you can work 9-4.30 with an hour unpaid lunch, and you lose 1/2 hour pay (which would be 4.30-5 originally)?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • 74jax wrote: »
    Could the op maybe confirm -

What were your old (original) hours, were they 9-5, with an hour lunch unpaid?

What have they agreed? To finish earlier, start earlier or both?

Have they agreed you can work 9-4.30 with an hour unpaid lunch, and you lose 1/2 hour pay (which would be 4.30-5 originally)?

I can confirm most of that; there's no ambiguity in what the OP has said. The only thing in any doubt is whether they have given her the option of starting earlier as well as the option of losing half an hour's pay. That isn't really material anyway; the question is simply whether they can refuse to let her work half an hour of the lunch break and leave early, and the answer is that they can.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    So then just wonder when they recruit staff. Advert states if you arent prepared to work 9 to 5 just dont bother applying.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I asked my employer the same a few years back and they allowed me a shorter lunch in order to leave early. My pay wasn't adjusted as the hours worked were the same. I guess it depends on the job. I worked in a call centre so having me there for the busy lunchtime was actually beneficial to them. I can see why some companies would say no just because everyone would ask. I know I'd say yes if it meant keeping a good worker. I'm struggling again now trying to find a new job that still fits in with childcare. Its not easy.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's really the employer's call on how they want to do things. If they insist everybody has an hours break then that is it

I have worked for an employer where the lunch break was an hour and could not be shortened and also you had to leave the work area for that period. It was only an office area so nothing special but you had to leave for an hour.You were also allocated one of two one hour slots for your lunch
  • Stylehutz wrote: »
    So then just wonder when they recruit staff. Advert states if you arent prepared to work 9 to 5 just dont bother applying.

They state that the hours are 9 to 5, no doubt. A tremendous number of jobs do that. Why are you reacting like it's unusual?
  • I asked my employer the same a few years back and they allowed me a shorter lunch in order to leave early. My pay wasn't adjusted as the hours worked were the same. I guess it depends on the job. I worked in a call centre so having me there for the busy lunchtime was actually beneficial to them. I can see why some companies would say no just because everyone would ask. I know I'd say yes if it meant keeping a good worker. I'm struggling again now trying to find a new job that still fits in with childcare. Its not easy.

You'd say yes to keep a good worker even if you knew everybody else would then ask?
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    How is it petty? They want people in the office from 9 until 5.

No, they don't. They're happy for her to leave at 1630 - they just want to pay her 30 minutes less.
    If they let her be in the office from 9 until 4:30 with no loss of pay, everyone will want to do the same.

Doesn't matter if they do or not. They're not obliged to treat everyone the same, just consider each request given the business conditions at the time. I have people who work part time who requested it. Someone else recently asked to go part time - and I said no because I can't accommodate any more flexibility with the amount of work we have to do. Doing it for one person does not set a precedent.
    They'd be stupid to agree.

I disagree. If I want to keep them engaged and I can accommodate it, I will.

Sounds to me like they just don't like people taking less than an hour's lunch break - and that isn't a reason to turn down a flexible working request.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • KiKi wrote: »

Doesn't matter if they do or not. They're not obliged to treat everyone the same, just consider each request given the business conditions at the time. I have people who work part time who requested it. Someone else recently asked to go part time - and I said no because I can't accommodate any more flexibility with the amount of work we have to do. Doing it for one person does not set a precedent.

Good luck with that. I'm sure the people you've turned down are really engaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure