IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

scs debt owed?

Options
Hi
Im looking for some advice..... I got a parking ticket from a private car park back in December, On a Friday night for being 8 minutes over. They have sent around 8/9 letters but I have ignored them all.
However I now got a letter from a company called SCS Law saying I owe £150.00 to highview parking. in the letter it states "unless out client receives full payment from you within 14 days, they may issue legal proceedings against you and can obtain a county court judge"

Is this letter real? Do I pay?
The last thing I want is someone knocking on my door and taking personal items that they believe to be a value of £150.00

Any advice would be welcome
Thank you

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post four of the Newbies Sticky covers this in its entirety - Please read.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name you need to get MSE to change it asap to something anonymous.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You owe nothing unless a judge so decrees. Private parking companies trying to scare people with such threads, your pianoforte is safe. Read the stickies and be prepared to go to court.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Hi
    Im looking for some advice..... I got a parking ticket from a private car park back in December, On a Friday night for being 8 minutes over. They have sent around 8/9 letters but I have ignored them all.
    However I now got a letter from a company called SCS Law saying I owe £150.00 to highview parking. in the letter it states "unless out client receives full payment from you within 14 days, they may issue legal proceedings against you and can obtain a county court judge"

Is this letter real? Do I pay?
    The last thing I want is someone knocking on my door and taking personal items that they believe to be a value of £150.00

Any advice would be welcome
    Thank you

What you mean is that they MAY take you to court.
    A misleading letter trying to extort money from you ?

They are trying to scare you but in reality this is what happens
    1: They issue a county court claim (they may or may not)
    At this stage you will need to defend yourself and you will get
    all the advice here to help you win

2: In the very unlikely event that you lose, the judge will order
    that you pay the amount within 28 days. Only if you fail to pay
    do you get a CCJ entered

NOBODY BUT NOBODY WILL CALL ON YOU TO SEIZE GOODS

Again, this could only happen if you lost, did not pay as the court
    instructs, the PPC COULD THEN, BUT ONLY THEN, ask a bailiff
    to call
    You are a long way off that so stop worrying.

So, your job now is to tell this forum the full facts of this to get the best help. Also how much the charge was on the ticket as it will not be £150

By ignoring, you lost your chance to appeal so now you go into ignore mode and wait. If you do get a county court claim, please return here
  • bethhaywood
    Options
    Thankyou so much for help, this is helping me already as I was very worried.
    so When it says Baliffs can attend to my address and removes good, ignore that?

In your opinion do you thunk they will take it any further then this if I dont pay?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Which parking company please - hint, it won't be SCS?

To whom does the SCS letter tell you to pay, if you were daft enough (normally on the second page)?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bethhaywood
    Options
    the car parking company is highview parking
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It's highview .

So far not litigious.

They do have 6 years to start legal action so can't be certain what may happen in the future
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the car parking company is highview parking

What about my second question?

It does help us to help you quickly if you come back with everything answered to save us having to query again. We can be dealing with 30-40 different cases each day, so we need to knock things off quickly to deal with more complex issues for others.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bethhaywood
    Options
    sorry, it says to contact debt recovery plus to clear your balance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business