Admiral Admin Fee

chipfire
chipfire Posts: 95 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 17 October 2016 at 7:30PM in Insurance & life assurance
Admiral just tried to charge me nearly £20 just to inform them of my new address following a house move.
Thought I would share that

I refused and they relented.

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You'll probably find the admin charge is detailed in their terms and conditions... hardly something new.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They may relent but the more that do it will mean the more the premiums will go up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chipfire wrote: »
    Thanks for that genius. :T

My point in posting was to let others know that they will relent if you push back, whether it's in the terms & conditions or not.

Have a great evening reading your T&Cs lol.

Why celebrate and publish that they 'relent'? As mentioned ultimately rates will go up for all.

You've called them, causing them expense and justifying the staff they employ. All things which justify the fee...

Would you be so happy if they pushed back, using the same T's & C's, if you tried to claim?!

But hey... you're the genius... :T

:rotfl:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm quite disappointed in Admiral's response. If it had been my insurance company and you had refused to pay a fee that you had previously agreed to (and £20 is pretty reasonable for a mid-term change) then I would have cancelled your policy and you'd have had to advise insurers of that for the rest of your life, costing you a hell of a lot more than £20.
  • They're well within their rights to charge for work you cause them, if you don't agree with the amount then you shouldn't have taken out the policy. I assume you read the terms and conditions, right?

I've worked for companies before who charge fees and the response is usually "Pay the admin fee or we won't do the admin. Your choice if you want to have invalid insurance".

You didn't win a battle, you just got lucky, whilst little by little every time someone else gets lucky, premiums go up that little bit more to counteract the loss of fees.

Even worse if it was an additional premium rather than an admin fee which may be the case if it was "nearly" £20 rather than a flat £20.
  • OP's gone silent now... realising he is posting in the wrong place...

He meant to post in the "celebrating ludicrous little wins which will penalise the masses" forum.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    OP's gone silent now... realising he is posting in the wrong place...

He meant to post in the "celebrating ludicrous little wins which will penalise the masses" forum.
    No he didn't.

This is MSE where we are asked to share our money saving tips.

No different to sharing haggling over premiums successes!

A win hits the insurer's profits in the first instance - they cannot just put up everyone's premium every time a haggler manages a result!
  • Quentin wrote: »

A win hits the insurer's profits in the first instance - they cannot just put up everyone's premium every time a haggler manages a result!

And who do you think will pay the price of an insurer not hitting their profit margins...?!
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    They may relent but the more that do it will mean the more the premiums will go up.

Thank goodness I saved £20 then. Cheers
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I'm quite disappointed in Admiral's response. If it had been my insurance company and you had refused to pay a fee that you had previously agreed to (and £20 is pretty reasonable for a mid-term change) then I would have cancelled your policy and you'd have had to advise insurers of that for the rest of your life, costing you a hell of a lot more than £20.

Thanks for voicing your disappointment! Try not to let it get to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure