PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• So what happened to "the warmest summer for 40 years" that we were promised?

We've had some summer weather here in Wales - and I duly headed out with sighs of relief.

Now trying to do some major work on the garden and rain keeps "stopping play". Keep ploughing on ...or digging on (as in this case).

Sitting here right now and wondering whether I should flick the heating on for an hour or so though....:cool:

The good news though (on a totally unrelated front) is I think my hair is starting to get back to normal thickness at last. It's been a right nuisance - being thinner than normal - for some time. I think its on the turn though - cautiously optimistic. I shall never ever again believe any British medics opinions on levels of nutrients in blood being adequate - I think it's the iron I'm now taking that's making the difference basically. Health definitely feels more "normal" than it did. I'll get there....
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Same up here nursemaggie coolish days and at this height there's that constant cold wind from the north. Temps always around 13/15. I haven't grown any veggies at all this year, wasn't well enough in the Spring to bother, but the flowers are doing ok. I've got a big cream wool dressing gown but it only gets used in power cuts because our fire is on 24/7 most of the year. That way the brick walls heat up and stay that way - but when that fire goes out then this place is cold.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Rain here in the south too - my trip to see Monnagran also looks in jeopardy as they are forecasting high winds over the weekend ( too high for my little boat!!) but I am keeping my fingers crossed that the wind drops so Monna and I can carouse and enhance her reputation!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a fluffy pink towelling robe that is cosy and just treated myself to a new velour type patterned one in grey for the colder days.

Builders are working on the new flooring in the hall so doors are open. I really hope I get everything done before autumn so I can be cosy when it gets cold. Youngest dd made a very good point urging me to get rid of the multi fuel burner in the living room and replacing it with an easy to use modern electric fire. When looked at we found it had been installed badly and had burnt the wall. We were lucky it had not caused a fire.

So far we have found at least three or four things that could have caused a fire or a flooded upstairs bathroom. I am trying to sort through some more boxes into "stay" or "go". The local charity shop is still closed after the floods and the bridge collapsing so one of the builders will take things away for me while they are here which is a big help.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Elona

Guessing you live in a part of the country where "recycling" by builders happens a lot then?:)

During my major house renovation work I was most amused to get requests from various ones to have something I was chucking out as rubbish. I'd never heard of this before. Obviously - I agreed - it saved me wondering how to dispose of it.

But I did find that "taking away some rubbish" by a recent builder translated into "...and charge for it" - which he hadnt mentioned and I therefore hadnt expected it.:cool:
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have two softstuff one purple with spots on and a red one with reindeers all over. Never thought of giving them names. I often thInk the red one should belong to Santa but he is not having it it is just like you describe yours and it has kept me warm in the evenings ever since I have been on this cancer treatment.

Ok, so purple should be Barney and the red one Rudy. Never let it be said I'm not helpful.

I named next doors chickens for them. Nugget and Kiev. I've also named many inanimate objects here at home, the vacuum cleaner is Miles (Miles Dyson), my rice cooker is Raisu San.... and I've never even had a single visit from men in white coats.

I did my first pilates session at the physio today. They use a machine called a reformer. It sounds like something from the spanish inquisition. Bloody feels like it too :rotfl: I made a point on the way out of pre paying my next 11 sessions. Thus ensuring I have to go to the bloody things. If it doesn't kill me it'll certainly make me stronger.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Yikes Silvasava! If the wind goes on the way it is now I personally wouldn't even attempt to cross pickle's paddling pool, never mind the Solent.
    Shame. I was looking forward to a bit of carousing and debauchery. I've not caroused or been debauched in a month of Sundays.

Softstuff: I've flirted with the idea of Pilates but really don't fancy racks and thumbscrewy things. Mind you, our sessions are held in the Village Hall and I'm not sure they would look kindly on medieval instruments of torture being installed just for the benefit of stiff and creaky pensioners. Or maybe theyd think it a good idea. Ah, dont think I'll pursue that line of thought.

I'm rambling again.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Never mind Monna - one way or another we will indulge!! Perhaps if I get the ferry over one day we could meet in Ryde instead? (then the neighbours wont know what we get up to)
    Not tried Pilates but have been doing Yoga for years. Not sure if it does me any good but I kid myself lol.
    Weather is totally pants now - so I've hoovered & dusted downstairs & mulling over what to get for tea and whether to do any baking - decisions decisions. Will probably just try to tackle some more of the RoD instead.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Elona

Guessing you live in a part of the country where "recycling" by builders happens a lot then?:)

I think Elona lives on the outskirts of York without a car, where the bridge collapsed & a lot of shops were affected by serious floods. Her builder lives in a different area so helps by dropping any charity donations off for her.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Monnagran, pilates at least isn't a sweaty class. It's slow precise movements designed for core strength. Seemed to be working a treat for the senior in my class.... she made me look like a complete weakling. I believe it can be done very successfully sans torture instruments, but this is a physio and if there's an instrument of torture, you can bet they have it and aren't afraid to use it.

Silvasava, after 12 months of yoga I still hadn't improved. To the extent where on the last class the yoga teacher looked down on me, shook her head and suggested I give up. My pilates instructor is a physio... give up is not in his vocabulary, he is determined I will improve and I think would see it as a slight on his person if I didn't.

Anyhoo, woke up just fine this morning and in fine gardening form. So I'll go hop to.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport