PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does fresh garlic keep for?

124»

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Many months, if stored in a cool, dry airy place.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I just keep an eye on it when it starts to dry ,pop it in some olive oil.Lovely for pasta etc.

Oh that is a good idea! I grow my own garlic, and manage to keep it for almost a year (in a cool barn over the winter) until the next harvest is ready. Putting some in olive oil would take me through that very last month....
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • ScoobieGirl
    ScoobieGirl Posts: 488 Forumite
    I just keep an eye on it when it starts to dry ,pop it in some olive oil.Lovely for pasta etc.

Be careful there is a health risk with this

Check out these other threads on it
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66131
    This is a discussion I had with some people a while back as they wanted to make flavoured oils to give as xmas gifts etc, but obviously there's a risk involved in keeping these oils long term.

Anyway I found some info from the Food Standards Agency which might help anyone wondering whether to risk making the oils or not ...

Q Is it safe to make my own flavoured oils at home using herbs?

A Lots of different types of flavoured oil are available in the shops, containing garlic, peppercorns, chilli and various herbs including rosemary, oregano and bay leaves, and these often have a long shelf life. But it’s not a good idea to make flavoured oils at home unless you are going to use them immediately.

This is because plants, including herbs and spices, can carry spores produced by bacteria. Occasionally, they could carry spores of a type of bacteria called Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism. This is a very unpleasant disease, which is rare in the UK, but can be fatal.

Clostridium botulinum multiplies in places without any oxygen, so if there are spores on plants such as herbs and garlic, putting them in oil can create the right conditions for the bacteria to multiply, particularly if the herbs are fresh or wet.

Companies that produce flavoured oils and foods preserved in oil are expected to take Clostridium botulinum into account and formulate their products to make sure that this type of bacteria doesn't multiply.

Even though recipes for flavoured oils can be found in cookery books, magazines and websites, these might not have considered the risk of botulism. So if you would like to make your own flavoured oil, the safest option is to make a small quantity and use it on the day you have made it. If you have some oil left over, put it in the fridge straight away and use it within a week. Some oils can go cloudy or become solid in the fridge, but if this happens don’t be tempted to leave it at room temperature, because this might not be safe.
  • ScoobieGirl
    ScoobieGirl Posts: 488 Forumite
    zippychick wrote: »
    SOme people keep after sprouting, i wouldnt)

Is there a specific reason that you dont - like there is something on the sprouts that is bad for you like the solanine in the green bits of potates?
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Be careful there is a health risk with this

Check out these other threads on it
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66131

Thanks ScoobieGirl, I understand your point, and I will take this into account when olive-oiling my garlic. I will not keep it longer than necessary. But I'm prepared to take a small risk, all the same.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Is there a specific reason that you dont - like there is something on the sprouts that is bad for you like the solanine in the green bits of potates?

No but it will be bitter - you have to do the fiddly bit of removing the green bit!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport