Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Comments

• moneymouth77
    moneymouth77 Posts: 225 Forumite
    I got the same letter... they used to, but not any more. Like so many places...:confused:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • shadyron
    shadyron Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do: Webtapestry (Internet provider):
    Don't: Iceland
  • just_about
    just_about Posts: 241 Forumite
    Amex in ASDA i think works under very mysterious circumstances.
    The other after doing my grocery tried paying using my amex, at the self checkout, did not work. The next day tried paying by it again at the tills, and guess what... Just worked fine :j
  • just_about wrote: »
    Amex in ASDA i think works under very mysterious circumstances.
    The other after doing my grocery tried paying using my amex, at the self checkout, did not work. The next day tried paying by it again at the tills, and guess what... Just worked fine :j
    I tried to use mine at the Tesco petrol station pay at pump and it wouldn't work but it did when I went inside to pay.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • moneymouth77
    I did a wee bit of research... turns out that AMEX cards have a different type of chip and pin system, the same on the surface, but different to the card readers. Either way, places have to do extra to accept it, so I wouldn't try it anywhere too old or too cheap (hence Iceland don't)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cdixon1041k
    cdixon1041k Posts: 41 Forumite
    Works great overseas, people in USA not so crazy about AMEX.

Chris
    Saving is Everything. Cash is King.
  • moneymouth77
    It is "American" Express... ;)

No seriously, in America there are loads more independant card companies, they accept most everything anywhere...
  • I was informed the other day by B&Q that they have stopped accepting Amex since 30th April 2009!!
  • Nearly everywhere in Cornwall doesn't take Amex. Frustrating since we were on holiday.

Wished I hadn't got card.
  • duggie1982
    duggie1982 Posts: 717 Forumite
    British Gas dont accept AMEX.

Just so you can add to list.

Source: Myself as I work for them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income