Post Office Savings Withdrawal Issues!

Comments

• I had exactly the same issue this week. I tried to withdraw some money on Tuesday, trying several times, then again Wednesday and then on Thursday, all with the same error "Transfer cannot be applied at this time".

So I phoned them up using the 0800 number listed on this thread, then after ignoring the first automated menu and getting a second menu after a bit of silence, got through to some one straight away who told me he could see no reason that I couldn't withdraw money. I mentioned that I had been trying for several days and that this seems to be a persistent issue with their site and he said he would put me on hold while he talked to technical support.

After a couple of minutes he came back and said that if I try again in 5-10 mins that it would be OK now, but no explanation of what the problem was.

It did indeed work, so after reading the history on this thread, I withdrew it all to put in one of my online accounts that does actually work properly.

I can't fault them on their phone support, but I am shocked that this issue seems to have been going on so long and I am not happy to keep my money in an online account where their don't seem to be able to resolve such a fundamental problem after several years.
  • IT IS 2015 AND I AM GETTING THIS 'TRANSFER CANNOT BE APPLIED AT THIS TIME' SIGH. emailed them twice already, will call them on Saturday and see.. wish i saw this thread before opening this stupid account. I will make sure to warn everyone i know about Post Office banking services.
  • devbv
    devbv Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 May 2015 at 7:12PM
    TRANSFER "still" CANNOT BE APPLIED AT THIS TIME!
    I got it too. Surprising post office saving haven't managed to fix an issue in 4 years or at least managed to put a good process around it. I wonder how safe our money is in their hands. I am taking it all out as soon as I can get my hands on it... only their technical team knows! :(
  • BeachNut
    BeachNut Posts: 121
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been experiencing this problem for the past week - internet explorer or chrome, same message "Transfer cannot be applied at this time."
  • jo13
    jo13 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I've been trying to withdraw funds for the last week and keep getting the same error message, no matter how small the amount. Having read these posts, I'm not going to bother wasting money on a phonecall to them and I'm just going to close the account. A very poor way to run a business.. and ridiculous that we can't access our own money!!
  • sophia5892
    sophia5892 Posts: 19
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jo13 - have you managed to close your account? How long did it take?

I've been having the same problem for the past week (since July 23rd). I sent my letter to close the account on the 24th. Really hoping they process it soon as not sure how much longer my overdraft will last me!!
  • Just an update for anyone with the same issue -

posted letter of complaint/request to close account on July 24th

August 3rd - received a letter saying they needed my signature (even though I did actually provide this when I opened the account!)

August 4th - posted signature letter back to them

August 11th - account closed/money received in current account.
  • jaizan
    jaizan Posts: 41
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In January 2016, I have exactly the same problem as in the earlier threads.
    I got the "Transfer Cannot Be Applied At This Time" error.

I phoned them and she tried to fix it over the phone. However, that didn't work. This will now be referred to their IT people. But they could make no commitment about fixing it the same day, or even the next day.

So my review of Post Office savings? Highly Unsatisfactory.
    You get instant withdrawal rates, yet when you need an instant withdrawal, they cannot be relied upon to honour this.
  • I found this thread after searching about the same problem.
    This morning I tried to transfer money from my Online Saver Postoffice account to my linked account. "Transfer cannot be applied at this time" was the error.

I rang the helpline displayed on the website and after going through the options was told to call a different number (0800 1697500 by the way).
    I spoke to a lady at 08:30 who, after a while, said there was a problem with my account but I'd have to wait and ring back after 9am as that is when the 'technical' team come in to work.

09:30, I call back and get someone else. I explain the problem and what I was told an hour previously. He says there is no 'technical' team and I should just keep trying!! I said this was unacceptable and he asked what would be acceptable. I said - "Being able to transfer my money from my account now!".

After being put on hold for 4 minutes, he comes back on to say that it's magically been fixed and I should be able to transfer money now - and it worked. No explanation of the problem was given. Pretty dissatisfied with the service to be honest!!
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm getting this problem. Opened account late in 2015, deposited a few times and today trying to make my first withdrawal to the linked account. Whatever amount I try to withdraw, I get this error.

Phoned up to be told my account is restricted and I need to speak to their fraud team - who go home at 5pm. So I can't get hold of my "instant access" savings until tomorrow at the earliest.

If there was a problem, they could've contacted me long before I tried to make this withdrawal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure