PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Housing?

Options
I don't understand council housing.

Why is it you can get council housing when you earn enough to afford something off the private rental market? Yes, there's a wait and you can have your reasons. But shouldn't council housing only be available to the needy, not those who 'meet' the criteria but could reasonably afford private rented accommodation. I don't get why they don't mean test this aspect of the applicant?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Allocation of houses is means tested, However after you move in they aren't going to (aint nor should they) kick you out if you start earning
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is rent councils charge cheaper than private rents?

I thought the reason council houses are in high demand is the security they offer, not the rent. Why should a working family (who would pay full rent) not be allowed the same security than those not working?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Is rent councils charge cheaper than private rents?

I thought the reason council houses are in high demand is the security they offer, not the rent. Why should a working family (who would pay full rent) not be allowed the same security than those not working?

Some are at market rates, but the majority of stock is generally far lower, especially in London.

In my area you can get a three bed council house for £85 a week, and a two bed flat for £65 (the latter including heating). On the open market you'll pay £150+ and £110+ respectively.

I wouldn't assume that those unable to afford market rents are out of work, particularly in higher cost areas.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't understand council housing.
    have you even tried to find out given the naivety of your question?

here is lots of info
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-rents-lettings-and-tenancies
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is it you can get council housing when you earn enough to afford something off the private rental market?

I earn £15k and lived in a privately rented terraced house for 10 years, I am now in a council rented property that was more expensive, but it does have better facilities.
    People on benefits can earn more than people working.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    Allocation of houses is means tested, However after you move in they aren't going to (aint nor should they) kick you out if you start earning

You should see some of the expensive cars parked outside social housing, those in private rented housing are not so rich.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    You should see some of the expensive cars parked outside social housing, those in private rented housing are not so rich.

Reasons for both, person in social housing could be in a good job, person in private housing low income.

Or like the new builds (1 year old) near me they were made for disabled people who needed big cars that often ended up to be new or close to new.

Anyone walking past would just assume they were wealthy.

So reality is we can never know.

My friend jokes with me when he comes to my council flat that all the cars around are no more than a few years old, even seen new audis parked outside mine.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE.

OP has odd name perhaps indicating less than serious approach.

No response to replies. Zero other posts.

Perhaps possible tr#ll? Perhaps not.
  • wullie
    wullie Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    People who have lived in their council houses for 20/30 years shouldn't be thrown out now just because they got off their bottoms and worked. It's not their fault the " market value " in private renting is so high. The reason it's so high was the sale of council houses in the first place which fell into the hands of buy to let landlords eventually. These landlords charge more than the council for the same properties. Well, in fact, the council properties are nearly always better maintained. It's an insane situation, but hardly the fault of the council tenant.
    If an original tenant had bought their house years ago, they'd have made a killing and added to the problem. If they didn't agree with the policy and kept their house in council ownership, people are now saying they should be kicked out of their homes because they earn a living.
    In other word council tenants. You're damned if you don't. You're damned if you do.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    wullie wrote: »
    People who have lived in their council houses for 20/30 years shouldn't be thrown out now just because they got off their bottoms and worked. It's not their fault the " market value " in private renting is so high. The reason it's so high was the sale of council houses in the first place which fell into the hands of buy to let landlords eventually. These landlords charge more than the council for the same properties. Well, in fact, the council properties are nearly always better maintained. It's an insane situation, but hardly the fault of the council tenant.
    If an original tenant had bought their house years ago, they'd have made a killing and added to the problem. If they didn't agree with the policy and kept their house in council ownership, people are now saying they should be kicked out of their homes because they earn a living.
    In other word council tenants. You're damned if you don't. You're damned if you do.

Which buy to let landlords? I am a landlord and I don't own any ex council houses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure