New Tesco digital payment app

Comments

• D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep, Apple Pay (and presumably other contactless methods) are now working on the scan as you shop checkouts in some stores in Northern Ireland, so there's absolutely no good reason at all to use this app instead.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I don't suppose this will work on my Nokia, then? :D

Personally, I'll stick with chip-and-pin.

Personally with Tesco at the helm of this I would rather pay by cash. ;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    harz99 wrote: »
    You've misunderstood. Its not the provider having access that concerns me, its having to rely on the providers services for access to the app in the first place. No phone service no access.

The app works offline (as the unique barcode is pre-generated) so as long as you have battery you can use it. and its rare for me to not have a debit card on me, so if my battery is flat or the app won't open then the only thing I'm losing out on are the Clubcard points.
  • jon81uk
    Forumite
    D.A. wrote: »
    Yep, Apple Pay (and presumably other contactless methods) are now working on the scan as you shop checkouts in some stores in Northern Ireland, so there's absolutely no good reason at all to use this app instead.

The only advantage of the PayQwiq app is you don't need to scan a Clubcard and then tap a separate debit card. Its not a huge time saving, but its stopped me having to carry a Clubcard around. If you don't want the Clubcard points, or are happy to scan Clubcard and then tap debit card then don't use the app :-)
  • A similar thing has been tried by a group of retailers in a America, think they've delayed further roll out due to contactless like Apple Pay.

Note Apple Pay can be linked to loyalty cards, not aware of a UK retailer that does this yet. Also shops like Lidl take Apple Pay without the £30 limit too.

This just seems like a hassle opening an app and scanning a barcode. Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.
  • jon81uk
    Forumite
    mrzippy wrote: »
    This just seems like a hassle opening an app and scanning a barcode. Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.

As in my previous post, the key thing is the clubcard. If using Apple Pay you either need to open Apple Wallet and scan the Clubcard barcode or scan a physical Clubcard and then tap your phone to may with Apple Pay. With PayQwiq you don't need to scan a Clubcard, both cards are registered at once. Of course if you don't use Clubcard then payment will always be quicker as you only need to scan one card/device.
  • Scad
    Scad Posts: 38 Forumite
    I've now used it a couple of times and think its great. To get a 100 bonus Clubcard points each of the first 5 times you use it is a nice incentive too.

As others have said, you don't need/use any precious mobile data to use the app.

I just wish it was in all Tesco Stores not just a limited number (currently 600) at the time of posting.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Question I have to ask.

Is this service worth the £500 - £700 you pay for a phone to be able to use it when you can get a debit card and Tesco Clubcard for free?

All for the sake of not taking out 2 cards with you?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • snozdop
    snozdop Posts: 12
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mrzippy wrote: »
    Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.

The double-click is unnecessary if you only have one card in the Wallet, or the one you want to use is already set as the default.

Finger on TouchID sensor and place near reader.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've downloaded, will try it 5 times and see how it goes.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure