£161,044.25 reasons to be mortgage free

Comments

• wantabetterlife
    wantabetterlife Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone...another mortgage payment has cleared and £579 has come off the capital and the balance is now £142632 :j

Daily interest is now £18.07 :D

Have 11 items listed on ebay and am hoping to get up into the attic to find some more things to sell this evening......now that i have wrote it down hopefully i will do it!

Overpaid £105 in total this month by transferring over the small amounts i managed to save on vouchers. I have been posting quite a bit on the "all the small things" thread which i am finding really motivating.

I have booked my laser eye surgery for 10th march and cannot wait to hopefully be free of glasses and contact lenses :j...will have quite a bi tof ebaying to do to raise the 2k price tag :eek:.
    Hope everyone is keeping well
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
  • wantabetterlife
    wantabetterlife Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just checked halifax current account and i have recieved my first £5 reward :j:j...am waiting on them to validate the joint account and that will be another fiver a month.
    I wish i had set these accounts up earlier as it literally takes a few minutes to transfer the money in and then take it back out again a few days later.
    Anyway i have paid the £5 off the mortgage as my first o/p for march :D
    2 bids on my ebay items so the minimum o/p from these when they finish on sunday will be £7.00 :j
  • Credit Card statement arrived this morning and i have been paid £86.29 in cashback for the year :j:D.....so happy with this and have just rounded it up and paid £90 off the mortgage.

Also have a bid on another ebay item so the minimum i will make on sunday will be £11.00...would love to get it up to £20, but we will see.

Have a duplicate present to bring back to MrS later on so that will be a few pounds i can put towards the groceries.
  • Ayeshalush
    Ayeshalush Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have just read your diary from the start and found it very motivating. I do overpay on my mortgage but could do more if I'm honest!!

Just wanted to say that I had laser eye surgery with Optical Express on 29/12/10 and its fantastic. I was so nervous on the day but there is really nothing to worry about. The only thing that bothered me was the 'burning' smell. In the paperwork I had read before hand it said that you could smell the 'ozone' gases from the laser but I didn't realise that they smelled like burning!!! I was amazed that, apart from a little haziness, I could see instantly - i could read the sign on the door as I got up off the bed, before the surgery I would have been lucky to even find the door without my lenses/glasses!

Just pm me if you want to ask me anything but I just wanted to say that you'll be really pleased you've done it.

Ali
    xx
  • Ayeshalush
    Good luck for today, if you're still going ahead with your laser eye surgery. Not that you need luck.....you'll be fine, there's nothing to worry about.

Let us know how it goes.

Ali
    xx
  • cha97michelle
    cha97michelle Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The 10th akready?

I guess you won't have a lot of money saving to report today. Hope today goes well. x
  • Lori007
    Lori007 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I have a very bad left eye which can't be corrected with glasses or laser. Because of that I can't take the risk of something going wrong with the right eye else I'd have it done like a shot. However, having read The Secret I have decided what every optician has told me for the last 30 years is wrong. I WILL have a fully functioning left eye. To help it on its' way I have just ordered an eye patch for my right eye which I will wear in the house :D. The Universe WILL deliver..... :o[/QUOTE]

What does it say in the secret? My Father has lost part of his sight in one of his eyes due to a stroke a few years ago and finds it really upsetting. He can no longer drive, read or watch tv properly. When he went to the optician yesterday he said if he hadn't had the stroke his eyes would be that of a 20 year old (he is 81) and wondered if the eye patch would help or is he beyond this? Many thanks.icon7.gif
  • Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.........Yes today is the day i go for the laser surgery, although my appointment isnt until 6.30pm....i am absolutely bricking it and have a sick feeling in my stomach...i cannot wait until its over!
    I think the first thing i will do is throw out all my contact lenses, glasses, cases and solution....this will be very therapeutic for me :D

Ayesalush thanks for posting i am so glad it was a sucess for you...i have read of a few people on the internet that have been dissapointed but hopefully i wont be one of them........my eyes are -6 so it will make a big difference to me.
    If you all seen me today you would wet yourselves...i cant wear lenses today so i have to wear my glassses. DD1 broke the leg off these a long time ago and i am walking about like Jack Duckworth with them sellotaped on one side....and every 5 minutes the lens keeps falling out...serouisly not a good look :rotfl::rotfl:

Michelle i could'nt help but laugh when i read your post as earlier on this morning i was actually thinking that i wasnt going to be able to post on the "all the small things" thread today...it doesnt really seem appropriate when i am about to spend 2k getting my eyes done...lol.

Lori i havent read that book that gallygirl was on about, perhaps you could post on her diary and ask her about it...she will probably miss your post on this diary. I can understand why it upsets your dad...eyesight is so precious. My husband hasnt got a clue what its like to not be able to see properly...i suppose its like everything you cant really understand unless you have been there.

Wont be home till about 10pm as its an hour drive away and i expect to be there for 2 hours.....i promise to update later if i can see the keyboard and i might even manage to sneak on to the "all the small things" thread :D
  • Ayeshalush
    My vision is now better than 20/20 - can't remember exactly how much better but at last check up it was 2 lines better on the sight test than I could see with my lenses/glasses prior to surgery.

I was told to allow 2 hours for the appointment but I was actually in and out in 45 mins including waiting time and recovery time. I would recommend that when you get home you try and sleep for an hour or so. I did this (to be honest I didn't have much choice as my eyelids were so heavy I just couldn't keep them open) and once I got up all the discomfort (and, for me anyway, it was only a little worse than when I peel onions) had disappeared. It's amazing how quickly the eyes recover!

Sorry to go on, I just know that on the day I was a nervous wreck and really wished that I knew someone who had had it done and that I could ask a few questions.

I hope your experience is as good as mine was. I'm sure it will be.

Ali
    xx
  • Ayeshalush wrote: »
    My vision is now better than 20/20 - can't remember exactly how much better but at last check up it was 2 lines better on the sight test than I could see with my lenses/glasses prior to surgery.

I was told to allow 2 hours for the appointment but I was actually in and out in 45 mins including waiting time and recovery time. I would recommend that when you get home you try and sleep for an hour or so. I did this (to be honest I didn't have much choice as my eyelids were so heavy I just couldn't keep them open) and once I got up all the discomfort (and, for me anyway, it was only a little worse than when I peel onions) had disappeared. It's amazing how quickly the eyes recover!

Sorry to go on, I just know that on the day I was a nervous wreck and really wished that I knew someone who had had it done and that I could ask a few questions.

I hope your experience is as good as mine was. I'm sure it will be.

Ali
    xx

Thanks ayesalush, i think i am really nervous as the last time i went to the optician my eyes were -5.25 in both eyes...but when the optician at optimax tested them she said my left was -5 and the right was -6. I dont understand how this can be as i cant see much difference in them at all and there is no way that my left eye has improved. I am afraid that they will overcorrect one eye and undercorrect the other if you know what i mean...think i will have a chat with them when i go down any maybe they will recheck them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport