PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Please help re flat deposit

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Hi all,

Thanks for the advice - there is an address on there but it says 'c/o' which makes me think it's not her real address - plus it was 2 years ago and I am sure she'd said around 8 months ago she was moving, therefore we never got new address. She has always been very cagey and we were one of the few tennants she allowed to call her - she asked us several times never to give her contact details to the other 2 flats in our building, even though she was managing their properties (she refused to pay agents to do this, then didn't want the tenants calling her when they had a problem!)

You can see why she is such a nightmare to deal with. She now has the nerve to say 'Hope you had a nice holiday' - why I oughtta....

Anyway, still no address, no cheque, no list - nada.

I think we will have to call the agents again Monday and ask for the address - they are obviously ignoring our e-mails and just printing them to add to the file as they don't care anymore and are awaiting landlady sign-off. What worries me is they could take 28 days to give that address if they wanted to.

Trying to think positive thoughts... but other thoughts creep in as to what sort of junk mail she could get if we got her address! Bad karma I know, but keeps me going he he...

Mantra:

At least a large part of £625 will come to me...

Thanks guys - will keep you posted!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • EagerLearner
    Dear all,

Latest news - the agency have now told us that from now on we have to liaise with the landlady direct as they are spending too much time on it :mad: , and were never managing agents so should not be spending 'so much' time on it! I think this is not right so have asked them to put it in writing in an e-mail. She then contradicted herself by saying they would 'continue to chase' but that we should communicate directly with the landlady and that they had still not received any paperwork.

When I repeated to the agent my request for her address, she said 'unfortunately we can't give you that (it would be illegal), as it is a 'care of' address'. When I asked, 'if that's the case, why did you accept (an illegal) address in the first place?' she did not have an answer.

This is getting harder and harder - if we write to the 'c/o' address I am sure the landlady will deny having received anything even if we send it Special Delivery.

What can we do? :confused:
    MFW #185
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    What can we do? :confused:

Who did you pay your deposit to? The landlady or the letting agent?
  • EagerLearner
    Hi - we paid it to the agent who hold it for both parties until the tenancy comes to an end.

The agency tell us that as the landlady has not written to them yet they can't do anything further apart from make the odd chasing call, but they have over 200 properties that are active, whereas this one is not as she ditched them (and us) to rent privately.

Without her signing a release form, we do not get any funds at all. But without her sending paperwork, we don't even know what funds she plans to let us have - we know it's probably £0. Then on top of that her address is c/o so we can't even be sure she'd get any chasing letters we send (or more importantly that she'd admit to receiving it).
    MFW #185
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Send a copy of the letter as suggested above to the agency, send one to the agency addressed to the landlady highlighting that it is the case and send one to the care of address. If that gets you no where, pay the £2 to get the land registry info and add it to your costs when it goes to court!!

Sounds like a nightmare that I hope ends soon

x x
  • EagerLearner
    Hiya - we have texted landlady but no response. As you say, we will have to write to agency x 2 and c/o address x 1. Searching land registry would do no good would it as the address is 'care of'?
    MFW #185
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Personally I would stop texting her. There is no documented copy of what was texted and she could claim harrassement. Ensure all further communication is written, preferably by letter. Always put time lengths when you expect to hear back from them and be firm but polite.

I thought the land registry had to have the proper address? but don't know. If the care of address is the only one available then that's what you need to use.

Good luck!!
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Hi - we paid it to the agent who hold it for both parties until the tenancy comes to an end.

Your LA is acting as escrow.
    The agency tell us that as the landlady has not written to them yet they can't do anything further apart from make the odd chasing call, but they have over 200 properties that are active, whereas this one is not as she ditched them (and us) to rent privately.

You've moved out this property on 4th June, so you're approaching 2 calendar months.

Without her signing a release form, we do not get any funds at all. But without her sending paperwork, we don't even know what funds she plans to let us have.

I think you've been reasonable. Time to stop.

You need to exert pressure on the LA to return the money - they must have procedures in place which compell both parties to act in a timely manner.

Get your forms ASAP for small claims court. Fill them in. Don't submit to the court just yet. Send a copy to the your old address marked FAO the owner. Send a copy to the LA. Do this by recorded delivery so they recieve it by Monday 7th August. Inform them that on Monday 14th August you will submit it to the small claims court and let them decide what % of your deposit should be returned.

They may acquiesce, they may fight. Either way you'll make progress.

Small claims info and moneyclaim.
  • EagerLearner
    Thanks Irnbru & Murtle,

Here is the letter we thought we'd send her tomorrow:

"Dear xxxxxxx

Re: Return Of Deposit – ADDRESS XXXXX

We vacated the above property on 5th June 2006, having cleaned and left it in good order as per the check out instructions from our letting agent.

Our deposit was due to be returned to us on 4th July. It is now 8 weeks since we vacated the property - the property has been let to another tenant and our deposit has not been returned, we have not been given any written explanation for this delay and the letting agent have had no written correspondence from you.

We now have no option but to commence Small Claims proceedings. If you are happy for this matter to be settled in court, you need do nothing now: you will receive a summons in due course stating the date and time of the hearing. Otherwise, please ensure that your payment of six hundred and twenty-five pounds (£625.00) reaches us within SEVEN DAYS of the above date."

The only problem is, we don't know if we can claim the full £625 in court so is this the amount we should put down in the last paragraph? We always expected an amount to be deducted (maybe £100?).

I will get the forms at lunch today - should I fill them in and send a copy with the letter tomorrow or is that too much? Should I send another letter in 7 days (if she doesn't answer the above) showing a copy of what will be submitted to Small Claims, with 3 days for her to pay up for example?
    MFW #185
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    EagerLearner have you thought about actually going back to the property and knocking on the door and asking for LL's address from the new tenants :D

Even if they dont give it to you, you can bet that they would inform her that you have been round asking and it will show the lengths you are willing to go to reclaim the deposit, it might prompt her to have the funds released ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure