PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Hello,

I know I'm a bit late but wondered if I could join too. Been meaning to for ages. I'm doing the Debt Destruction December challenge and the NSD challenge which are going ok, but I think I'm in denial about how much I spend on food. Probably more than I think but not sure as I usually not separate my food spends from non-food spends in my head or on my receipt, which I only started keeping this month. So my aim is £220 on food including christmas dinner for 6.5 people. If it's not the food then it's the non-food spends that my bank balance doesn't like :o

I keep an A5 sized diary and I draw a line down the centre. One half of each page is non food and the other half is food. It is a godsend to refer to for many things as well as budgets. Good to know how long something lasted-what you spent on petrol the last month etc-I am often referring to it. I also keep notes in it if I lend the kids any money or if they pay me any back-its my all in one refernce moneywise! I look down each receipt and I do separate my spends so if its £50 spend and £15 is on household stuff I write it as £15 and £35 respectively sometimes with extra notes on the household side to list what it was. I found over the last couple of years that quite a large chunk was indeed on "other" stuff and not all of it necessary!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Nothing spent today or yesterday. Ah, the willpower that comes from being skint! Made vegan mac and cheese for myself last night (homemade burger for him) and had leftovers for lunch today. Tonight I'm killed with college work so it's baked potatoes and beans, and bread and jam for afters. Not fancy, but hot, filling and very comforting. Everything out of the pantry/freezer as well.
    Need to pick up a few bits tomorrow though. Almond milk and fake meat mostly.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I keep an A5 sized diary and I draw a line down the centre. One half of each page is non food and the other half is food. It is a godsend to refer to for many things as well as budgets. Good to know how long something lasted-what you spent on petrol the last month etc-I am often referring to it. I also keep notes in it if I lend the kids any money or if they pay me any back-its my all in one refernce moneywise! I look down each receipt and I do separate my spends so if its £50 spend and £15 is on household stuff I write it as £15 and £35 respectively sometimes with extra notes on the household side to list what it was. I found over the last couple of years that quite a large chunk was indeed on "other" stuff and not all of it necessary!

I like this idea! thanks for sharing :T
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I like this idea! thanks for sharing :T

I like the idea of a budget diary too! I might actually do that for 2013!!!!

Brilliant idea!!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • In order to keep on track need to note every spend - 64p on a couple of YS items today.

Flat Eric - I think the curry will be fine for one extra day, I often use stuff up a couple of days after their date and have never had a problem.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Went shopping for my DD today as she is working right up to the 21st December (shes a teacher)

She asked me to get either a Turkey crown or a whole Turkey (theres only six of us for dinner and already have 2Kg leg of pork in freezer.)

So sorted out Iceland stamps (25.00 ) plus 3.00 off 20.00 voucher and 4x2.00 Asda cards for being overcharged.

Went to Asda first and as I always do looked at the reduced first and got a ys beef joint 5.00 instead of 10.00 and 4 bags 2/5 kg potatoes 50p each, so 7.00 of my 8.00 gift cards spent. So free beef and potatoes and still1.00 in hand.

So off to Iceland to get this turkey, they ony had the very smalll left in either the crowns or the whole, 1.70 or 1.80 for 10.00 where as the large was 15.00 for 3kg, made it up to 20.00 with two boxes of victoria biscuits and 2 for 1.00 rum truffles, pressies for the grqndads, less my 3.00 voucher 17.00, so still have 7.00 in stamsps, got a 1.00 off 10.00 spend and another 3.00 off 20.00 voucher.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and am on day 5 of my fiscal fast.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I spent £105 in a&da today :eek: but only £24 of if it was on food - the rest xmas gifts, xmas cards and clothing for the OH (I'll get the money back for this).

Got pizzas for tea then seen that the curry I have in my fridge from m&$ needs to be used by today (chicken korma). do you think it will be ok if I eat it tomorrow or should I freeze it ???

I wouldnt think just one day over would be a problem
    Slimming World at target
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Spent £66.28 in mr T's last night, lots of reduced meat, spices, £10 odds on lovely candles and those air wick stick thingies....

£15 in poundland buying dog chew treats, a pair of those touchscreen gloves, sugar and some sweets :o

Total so far this month £81.28/£180
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • MoonJelly
    MoonJelly Posts: 330 Forumite
    I hope I don't get stoned but I CAN'T do the grocery challenge for December. Hubby is coming back from overseas and I will be spending on goodies such as a duck for Christmas Day. We have a birthday and a wedding anniversary. We also have a family reunion to celebrate a wedding and baby in the family and we are suppose to bring something to the event.
    I will try to keep the budget around £300 but don't think I can do it for less.
    Sorry, I feel like such a wimp...:p
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In order to keep on track need to note every spend - 64p on a couple of YS items today.

Flat Eric - I think the curry will be fine for one extra day, I often use stuff up a couple of days after their date and have never had a problem.
    meg72 wrote: »
    I wouldnt think just one day over would be a problem

Thank you. I thought it would be fine but I just thought I would post and get other opinions. I think all stores build in a day or 2 of error - because how many people have stuff in their fridge and don't check the date before they cook? I'm sure the stores scare us into be frightened of sell by dates so that we needlessly throw food away only to fill their coffers with more money to replenish.

I haven't caught up properly but in answer to the recent post, doing this challenge hasn't made me any better with my food budgeting and that is something I shall be working on in 2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure