Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Comments

• davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    If CRBs are only valid for a specific school, how do supply teachers get on then ?. I think you'll find a CRB is for the LEA area not just a given school. I'm an ACSL and my CRB covers me to attend as a leader or assistant in any Group within our District, but to work in another District I would need to have another CRB check.

As for updating the system, this was mooted by the Labour Govt. and the public were up in arms. Mainly due to the papers getting it wrong with scare stories about people needing CRB checks just to take their friends children to after-school activities along with their own. Ridiculously, Churches are exempt from CRB checks.

Is that seriously true?

Churches are the first place where CRB checked staff should be required given their less than perfect track record in this area.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    My son once brought home a worksheet for homework for spelling numbers Twenty Thirty Fourty <sigh>

Quite honestly though your first point irritated me. In the private sector it is considered an employee's responsibility to get themselves to work and many companies would have the attitude that if transport is too difficult-get a car, move closer or leave. I do see their point. Why on earth would anyone living in a country that routinely has winters where public transport stops for snow take a job far from home when they could work closer to home (as there are schools in every town)-it makes no sense.

I do wonder if teachers (and some other public sector employees) lost pay for days they couldn't attend due to weather if the absence rate would still be as high .

I am a public sector employee at a university. If we have bad weather and don't come in, the day is counted as a day of our annual leave. We aren't penalised in this way as long as we make an effort to get there, even if we arrive late and have to leave a bit early to get home safely.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is that seriously true?

Churches are the first place where CRB checked staff should be required given their less than perfect track record in this area.

No it is not true.

You need a CRB check to do most things in church including giving out communion and also doing readings. As you are seen as someone with authority and children or people with special needs may come to you .

Not sure where the person got their "fact" that churches were except from. Maybe from their own strange land.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • The headteacher is responsible for closing the school, which lets face it is usually after a flurry of phone calls from the TEACHERS who can't get into work on the same roads the rest of the working population are using to get to work ;)

You are not a Headteacher, and you are, frankly, clueless. In all likelihood you have not been near a school since 1970 when Mr Evens the P.E. teacher strung you up by your underpants. For some reason you keep perpetuating the same myths over and over and over, despite lots of people who actually know what they are talking about politely pointing out the opposite. There is a large amount of research into why certain groups of parents do not engage with schools. Inevitably it is down to bad experiences when they were in schools themselves. I suspect you fall into this category. Please accept that schools have moved on. Mr Evans is probably dead by now from work related stress and schools are very different environments to what they used to be. Whatever it is let it go, you will be happier!
    Edible geranium
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    If CRBs are only valid for a specific school, how do supply teachers get on then ?. I think you'll find a CRB is for the LEA area not just a given school. I'm an ACSL and my CRB covers me to attend as a leader or assistant in any Group within our District, but to work in another District I would need to have another CRB check.

As for updating the system, this was mooted by the Labour Govt. and the public were up in arms. Mainly due to the papers getting it wrong with scare stories about people needing CRB checks just to take their friends children to after-school activities along with their own. Ridiculously, Churches are exempt from CRB checks.

Which Churches are exempt? Definitely not the Catholic Church as I have seen the paper work involved just to give out communion to people a church
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • FYI CRB's are changing in January to DBS's which *should* tackle a lot of the issues raised, although we will wait and see.
    Edible geranium
  • Hmm71 wrote: »
    It's neither childish nor clutching at straws. I expect the people who are going to be teaching my children to be decently educated themselves.
    Knowing the difference between "you're" and "your" is a very basic point of grammar. I fear for the future of education if you think things like that don't matter.
    Perhaps you should think again about becoming a teacher.

40% of millionaires are dyslexic. Do they not make a worthwhile contribution to society?

On wealth, jobs with the highest earning potential require Maths, Science or Engineering type qualifications - and the lowest*? English.

You really are a special one if you think command of English is the only requirement to making an outstanding teacher.

* of core subjects, although Media Studies is often run by the English Department.
    Edible geranium
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Storck wrote: »
    No it is not true.

You need a CRB check to do most things in church including giving out communion and also doing readings. As you are seen as someone with authority and children or people with special needs may come to you .

Not sure where the person got their "fact" that churches were except from. Maybe from their own strange land.

I thought that one was rubbish as well, one of my uncles spent decades working in various churches around the world (basically wherever his job sent him he'd play the organ/teach it/help out at the local COE/Anglican church), and I remember him being really very upset when the CRB's came in, as he saw it as a personal insult on his character/honour, and as he put it "all it shows is someone hasn't been caught".

Back on topic.
    Personally I suspect a lot of teachers these days cannot afford to love close to the Schools they work at (or wouldn't want to due to the local area), let alone the issues of liability and legal requirements for minimum staffing.
    I'm also quite aware that most of the teachers I know tend to work well past their contracted hours, not just the sort of 5-15 minutes in many places of work*, but hours at home doing work that needs to be done for the classes. And that's before any of the clubs/activities that teachers are often expected to take part in during their free time.

*And I know a lot of non teachers who get quite militant about being asked to spend 5 minutes past their contract hours on a regular basis.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bugbyte wrote: »
    40% of millionaires are dyslexic. Do they not make a worthwhile contribution to society?

On wealth, jobs with the highest earning potential require Maths, Science or Engineering type qualifications - and the lowest*? English.

You really are a special one if you think command of English is the only requirement to making an outstanding teacher.

* of core subjects, although Media Studies is often run by the English Department.
    Your post reminds me of an interesting article I read a while back, basically a very surprising number of computer programmers (well above the number in the general population) are dyslexic, and apparently it doesn't make any difference to their ability.
    As like many programmers as long as they are consistent in the mistakes, it doesn't affect the programmes they are writing, it only tends to become a problem when someone else has to work on the same programme, and that's true of any programmer, as different programmers may have their own short cuts for coding or even if not dyslexic can consistently use the same but different way of spelling something (especially if they are from a different country but share the same language).
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Storck wrote: »
    No it is not true.

Although people working in the Sunday School etc need PVG checks (Scotland), they aren't needed by everyone giving out communion or doing readings across the board. I say this as in my church anyone could be asked to help with communion or give a reading so that would mean the whole congreagation. :rotfl:
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport