PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken Stock Gone Like Jelly

Options
167891012»

Comments

• vouchersrme
    Options
    Wonderful, well done this is the tastiest stock. But, did you know that you can soread the fat and jelly on toast with salt and pepper and it is that old fashioned favourite dripping on toast!. Beef dripping is best but chicken is still lovely,
  • Europa_2
    Europa_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I made a chicken stock last night with a chicken carcass and some veggies I had laying around. Sieved it and put it in the fridge before bed last night expecting it to have a solid layer of fat to skim off this morning but the whole lot is just one lump of jelly!

Is this normal? Can I still use it? This hasn't happened before when making my stock. Have I been doing it wrong in the past or is it wrong this time?!!

Many thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Europa,

It is the gelatine released from the chicken bones that has caused it to gelify. This is absolutely normal and means that you have made a really good stock. Enjoy! :)

You'll find more advice in this thread:

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Flora_Poste
    Options
    It's fine. All my stock looks like that. Should make lovely soup or whatever
    "A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
  • Europa_2
    Europa_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks!! I did a quick search but am in the middle of making a chicken and mushroom pie and needed the answer quickly!

Thanks again x
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Europa,

It is the gelatine released from the chicken bones that has caused it to gelify. This is absolutely normal and means that you have made a really good stock. Enjoy! :)

You'll find more advice in this thread:

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink

THIS!!!!
    (message too short, need to write something else:-)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    no you havent done it wrong - either now or in the past! I dunno why this happens with some stock batches and not others - but my stocks either come out like water or jelly! and I rarely have to skim fat off the top!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure