santander scam phone call

Options
2»

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    Once again this morning I got an automated call about 4 transactions they consider that need confirming by myself ( I get these a lot) and of the 4 transactions I recognised 3 but one I did not .It was for 78p and I could not hear the details clearly so I went in to my online account but the 3 appeared OK,one being a £2 Tesco Grocery order charge that they always claim until the order is completed ...the other 2 had already been paid and appeared on the statement .The 78p was not there at all ,not even in the difference between the balances showing .

I called the number and spoke to someone in Portugal and all she could tell me was that the 78p was for today (14Nov) with a company called PSE and I did not recognise that . She said that was all the info she had and that she would stop the card and issue a new one and when I asked what I was supposed to do when I went out today she said I could go to a branch ....I had to remind her that this was a Sunday ??? She asked if I wanted to confirm this 78p and I said that was HER call but she insisted it was MINE so I told her if that was the case then I was unhappy about her being unable to just stop this one transaction and I would be complaining about it ..Santander's UK Fraud do not work on a Sunday so I could not speak to them but I'll definitely be speaking to them tomorrow .
    I definitely did not make any transactions this morning as I was still in bed when the call came and for such an amount it's unlikely to be genuine .
    One problem is that online company names are different from their "banking" names so it might not be immediately obvious who they are . Also I wonder exactly what Santander's system considers to be suss...The Tesco £2 and the others were from well known UK companies ,one a well established website and the other a UK baking utensils retailer ..

Fraudsters often use low value purchases to "test" cards before going for the big ££££.

Are you really suggesting that they are out of order by blocking your card so that no-one gets exposed to fraud on it? You would prefer top leave it open and have to pay for whatever a fraudster orders on YOUR card?

Madness.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 November 2010 at 12:18AM
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    Fraudsters often use low value purchases to "test" cards before going for the big ££££.

Are you really suggesting that they are out of order by blocking your card so that no-one gets exposed to fraud on it? You would prefer top leave it open and have to pay for whatever a fraudster orders on YOUR card?

Madness.

Try reading again what I said ...I made no such suggestion.........Santander's system is the one that I see most complaints about .It is far too sensitive to what it picks up ...as for this particular problem all I asked of them was that they decline this 78p transaction as IT seems to be a problem ..well it is until I can get to speak to their Fraud Dept in the UK ....but for reasons best known to Santander that is too difficult for them ...
    EDIT : Called the UK Fraud department this morning and it doesn't get any better .....as part of "security" she asked for details of a "shop" I had gone in to and used the card in the past week ...I couldn't think of that situation as the only time I use it outside is occasionally to buy petrol ..even looking at the online statement I couldn't see anything but online transactions ...she insisted that she could see one and it was becoming like a game and I was getting more and more frustrated and must admit I lost the plot as she kept insisting ..she then said i had failed security and I had to go to a branch!!! .It was only afterwards that I saw I had used it in Homebase a week ago ......problem is that these folk at the other end of the 'phone don't see things from the customer's point of view ..having these questions sprung on you in what can be a stressful situation. When I went in to the branch with ID the teller called Fraud and found that 6 minutes previously they had cancelled the card and I've to get a replacement ...
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like it when Santander automatic fraud calls my mobile, then has a minor hissy fit because it wants me to dial numbers but mobiles don't have tones so it won't work.

Dunno what mobile you have but mine has tones?!?
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    simax wrote: »
    Dunno what mobile you have but mine has tones?!?

I was going to say " mine does too" but although it seems to work as if it does when you press the keys you can't hear any tone so I checked and "tones when you press keys" is turned off but presumably the tone still goes through to the other end even though you can't hear it .
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    You can definitely choose menu options from a mobile. I don't know of any analogue mobiles.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • Didn't work for me, I assumed no tones on phone - guess usual rubbish Santander IT then.
    Santander are awful - mission in life is to warn people since 17-Sep-10, 18-Sep-10 realised one of thousands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure