PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking Powder or Self Raising Flour?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question!

I made chocolate brownies yesterday - it called for baking powder. Lurking at the back of the cupboard is baking powder - best before Dec 2000.

So I used it anyway... and besides the brownies being a little flat, it seemed OK.

Could I have used self raising flour instead? Is this is the same as using plain flour & baking powder?

:confused::confused::confused:

Mo x

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    I think the basic answer is no but all this bicarb vs baking powder is a bit confusing to me.

Baking powder has an active ingredient so, although it looked OK the active ingredient probably wasn't so active anymore.

Have a look at THIS thread for more info.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    I don't buy self raising flour - I buy plain flour and then use baking powder if a recipe calls for self raising.

If a dried product, (in your example baking powder or as in a thread earlier this week ground ginger) is that long out of date, I wouldn't have used it anyway. If it's only a month, then yes - but if your product is now out of date by *years* .... best bin it and start again.

Basically, baking powder is a raising agent. When the quantities of baking powder to plain flour are given in a recipe it can vary depending on the type of recipe you are making.
    For example: generally, for every 8oz of plain flour you would use 4 tsps of baking powder and this would then be "self raising flour".
    However, if you were making a sponge cake with plain flour, you would use 3 tsp per 8oz flour; a fruit cake would need only 1tsp per 8oz plain flour
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mightymo_2
    mightymo_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

:eek: Best bin the baking powder then!

I know it isn't money saving, but I think I will buy another pot of baking powder - I'll never get the "adding baking powder to plain flour bit right" - it sounds very confusing!

Mo x
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I used to do as Queenie, buy plain flour and add baking powder to make self raising. But since we're about money saving, it's cheaper to buy self raising! If you lookin old (70s and before) cook books, there are usually tables of how much baking powder to how much flour. Generally, the lighter the cake (sponge lighter than scones lighter than fruit cake), the more baking powder.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Magentasue wrote:
    I used to do as Queenie, buy plain flour and add baking powder to make self raising. But since we're about money saving, it's cheaper to buy self raising! If you lookin old (70s and before) cook books, there are usually tables of how much baking powder to how much flour. Generally, the lighter the cake (sponge lighter than scones lighter than fruit cake), the more baking powder.

You could well be right there, haven't worked out a costing on the differences (that'll be nice challenge for me :) ) - however, some recipes do require you to use the plain flour + baking powder option, as per the OP, when SR flour just shouldn't be used.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I have seen recipes that call for self raising flour AND baking powder (I've turned the page and moved on!) but I think SR flour would be fine for brownies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure