Going rate per square metre for roof ?

A builder told me that his rate for a slated roof is £64 per square metre. It made it sound more like buying carpet... but any how, what do you think ?

I've got no idea what it would cost to replace what is a very big roof. It needs doing as slates are split in several places, theres wonky ones, it would be better to replace the lot rather than do patches. One half of the roof is about 40 years old, the other half anything over 60 years.

I'm waiting for the estimate,.....

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It depends on the slates he intends to use.

According to pricing book:

Welsh are £80 to 170 per sq m, Spanish are £64 to £86.

This includes all underfelt, battens, eaves treatment and ridge tiles.

If he is replacing all of them there may be salvage value in the ones he removes. Call a salvage yard and ask them what sort of cash they would give for them - this should come off the quotation.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    Sounds cheap for slate, or are you taking roof tiles??? many roofer will use some of the old ones to save money. No felt anymore but membrane will waterproof the roof (80£ a roll ) and new batterns about 24p ft for the best. Did he give you a total size?
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2009 at 4:08PM
    From what I can suss out some of the roof, the newer part, is welsh slate ( I think). The old part is a mix of slate and asbestos slates ( oh god !).

It will be great to have a lovely new roof !

It will definitely not be Welsh slate they use for the new roof as the guy said it would be very expensive.

The builders have a very good reputation and trustworthy. It's just nice to get a second opinion as it were from you. I would ask for a price off another builder but I do not know anyone else I would trust to do the job.

No, he did not give me a total size. He says he will be giving me a full breakdown of everything when he works out the price. Even then he said ' we could talk'. I like this man ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure