PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chickens & s.12 Allotments Act 1950

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2014 at 12:49PM
    The text of mine you quoted was about a person with chickens who was looking for a new tenancy. It is impossible for that prospective tenant to have a secure or assured tenancy because they aren't a current tenant and they have specified that their existing tenancy that is being ended is an AST.

Other types of tenancies certainly could apply, but not to a prospective tenant.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    I spoke to the legal man at the council who was happy to email me saying that the council can't stop you keeping chickens on allotments. :)
  • jjlandlord
    jjlandlord Posts: 5,099 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2014 at 1:39PM
    jamesd wrote: »
    Please read the link to the Thorpe Report and the rest of paragraph 54 of that report which contradicts that claim, specifying that:

"Since 1950 the occupier of an allotment garden has ... been permitted to keep hens or rabbits on his land" .. and then moves on to give the specific requirements that I quoted.

Artful quoted you the act itself, which is clear.

The report you quote does not imply that the right is restricted to allotment gardens only.
    As said the Act states that it applies to any tenancy for any land.

Why trying to argue at all costs?

In addition, the point is still relevant for ASTs because, while it is understood that the landlord can easily evict, it means that the landlord will not be able to claim breach of contract irrelevant of what the tenancy agreement states.

Eventually, it is not obvious to me that a landlord would give notice as soon as he learns that a couple of chickens are being kept in the garden.
    As long as they are kept in an enclosure there're not causing damage.
  • jamesd
    poppysarah wrote: »
    I spoke to the legal man at the council who was happy to email me saying that the council can't stop you keeping chickens on allotments. :)
    Right. Clearly permitted, same as rabbits.
    jjlandlord wrote: »
    Artful quoted you the act itself, which is clear.
    The Act is about allotments. Picking odd pieces of an Act and applying them outside its context might be fun but that's not how they are supposed to be read.

If you don't like it, go ahead and pretend that it applies. I've pointed you to more than ample resources that show you want it's for and when it applies. If you really want more you can go and look up the discussions in Parliament in Hansard prior to its passing to see what they say, or the report on Allotments that led to the introduction of the Act.
  • jjlandlord
    jjlandlord Posts: 5,099 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2014 at 9:57PM
    The Act is about allotments. Picking odd pieces of an Act and applying them outside its context might be fun but that's not how they are supposed to be read.

If you don't like it, go ahead and pretend that it applies. I've pointed you to more than ample resources that show you want it's for and when it applies.

Read the Act first, then argue if you have arguments (you don't):
    12 Abolition of contractual restrictions on keeping hens and rabbits.

(1) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise than by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as reasonably necessary for that purpose:

Provided that nothing in this subsection shall authorise any hens or rabbits to be kept in such a place or in such a manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance or affect the operation of any enactment.

If the legislator had wanted this to apply only to allotments, he would have said so instead of using the very clear terms of 'any tenancy' and 'any land'.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, but clause 12 says..

which means not just "allotment gardens"..

As I suggested earlier, it needs a test case. And not all tenacies are ASTs. They might be Rent Act, Secure, Assured.. for all of which S21 doesn't apply..

Cheers!
    jjlandlord wrote: »
    Thanks artful.
    Indeed right to keep hens and rabbits is in regards to any land, not just allotment (though section is in Allotment Act, indeed)
    Please read the link to the Thorpe Report and the rest of paragraph 54 of that report which contradicts that claim, specifying that:

"Since 1950 the occupier of an allotment garden has ... been permitted to keep hens or rabbits on his land" .. and then moves on to give the specific requirements that I quoted.

Jamesd, I usually agree with you but I cannot do so here.

The report is correct insofar as allotments are concerned, but it does not say that s.12 applies ONLY to allotment land.

The Act has a dual purpose, as evidenced in the introduction.

The structure of the Act has a separate heading for s.12.

Section 12 refers repeatedly to "any land".

If it was intended to apply to just allotments, the intro would have been worded differently, there would be no separate heading before s.12, and it would refer to allotments rather than any land.

Statues are strictly construed and this is clear cut.

Just because the title is "Allotments" is not determinative.
  • FWIW my understanding (I kept urban chickens for about 6 years) is that unless there's a clause in the deeds of your house, or a local bylaw against it, you can keep chickens in any house that you own. Obviously the tenancy agreement is relevant for any house you rent.

It should be noted that hens DO cause damage to gardens - they like to create dustbathes that resemble moon craters in lawns, eat plants and if in a relatively confined space for a period of time, the grass can be reluctant to grow back. So, anyone who does keep chickens in a rented property should be prepared for some loss of deposit.

However, they don't really attract cats if they're properly enclosed - I just watched a neighbourhood cat run headlong into the chickenwire when we first got them, bounce off, and decide that it wasn't worth the effort. Ditto foxes - chickens must be locked in at night, and foxes are largely nocturnal.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2014 at 9:59PM
    The text of mine you quoted was about a person with chickens who was looking for a new tenancy. It is impossible for that prospective tenant to have a secure or assured tenancy because they aren't a current tenant and they have specified that their existing tenancy that is being ended is an AST.

Other types of tenancies certainly could apply, but not to a prospective tenant.

Sigh!

A secure council tenant moving to another property in the same council area may well be granted another secure tenancy. Or a new tenant might be (probably won't..) be offered a "flexible council tenancy".

Many/most Housing Associations grant Assured tenancies as well as ASTs..

A couple of years ago there was a fashion amongst HMO "experts" (I never saw the arguement myself..) to grant AS's rather than ASTs
  • jamesd
    Yes, I agree that in that for an existing rather than prospective tenant other tenancies could apply. That's irrelevant to the case that the quoted text came from because the original tenancy of the person asking the question is an AST.

Interesting that HA's will grant assured tenancies, I wasn't aware of that, thanks! In those cases I agree with you about their effects.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2014 at 10:09PM
    FWIW my understanding (I kept urban chickens for about 6 years) is that unless there's a clause in the deeds of your house, or a local bylaw against it, you can keep chickens in any house that you own. Obviously the tenancy agreement is relevant for any house you rent.

Section 12 is explicit that the right to keep chickens exists irrespective of any clause in a tenancy etc. So the tenancy cannot over-ride statute. [STRIKE]Neither can a local bye-law over-ride statute.[/STRIKE]

Edit: - part struck through in light of further posts below.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure