PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trying to buy with Redrow

1235»

Comments

• Interesting post Poppy and a good read.

I have to admit, I can't argue with the fact that many new built houses today do appear to fall short of acceptable standard of work. I think this is mainly due to pressures of time, with developers constantly looking to hit their financial targets and deadlines. When you factor in that virtually all the guys working on new houses are subbies, getting the job done as soon as, often skipping the detail, it makes for a nasty recipe.

I've been there and done that with the renovation thing, and actually enjoy it, although less so now. There is something to be said for knocking your house about and getting to know it intimately. It brings about a kind of connection that I'm not sure a new house can provide, but as yet, I have no experience of new. Will have to wait a month or so before I try that.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. There are good and not so good for both old and new. For most people, a house has to have some compromises somewhere, it's just a matter of what people's prferences are in respect of those compromises.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    makeitstop wrote: »

I've been there and done that with the renovation thing, and actually enjoy it, although less so now.
    We don't DIY anymore, we get someone in which is better but the mess!!! I hate renovations but I don't think you can avoid it as styles change. Even with a new build you will start altering layout, replacing kitchen, bathroom etc. and even if the walls are plasterboard, it's still messy and disruptive.

makeitstop wrote:
    I guess it's swings and roundabouts. There are good and not so good for both old and new. For most people, a house has to have some compromises somewhere, it's just a matter of what people's prferences are in respect of those compromises.
    Absolutely and people who buy new or renovated houses think they will not have to do anything and they will have hassle free homeownership but lets face it with any property that's rarely the case.

We have one major job that we've been ready to do for 20 years - replace our back boiler! We nearly changed it when we moved in but it means new pipe work from inside wall to outside wall. We were told by those in the know not to as new boilers only last 10 years and we wouldn't get the money back in cheaper bills So here we are 20 years later with a boiler that was at least 10 years old in 1995 and the money we put one side still in the bank!!!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • I'm a bit late to the party but can offer some insite to my very own purchase experience with Redrow.

Me and my partner pruchased a 4 bed detached off plan which sold at £260k. At first the sales staff didn't want to know us because of my buying circumstances. To cut a long story short my brother bought me out of my previous house but the sales staff insisted they wanted to see in writing from our solictor that i'm no longer liable at my previous property which they couldn't really do because the solictor can only send off the forms to remove me from the deeds which takes time. Eventually they did accept our circumstances and we did the early bird and passed all the finance checks. So our experience for us started off a bit sour.

Now keeping an eye on this estate in Rowley Regis, West Midlands we saw the prices increase and increase over time. We were very frustrated we couldn't haggle with the price but at the end of the day we really wanted the house and were prepared to pay. However when the estate was first being built the prices for the 4 bed was around 250k so we paid 10k over however now the 4 beds are going for 270k and will probably contunue to rise. This estate has no problem selling and even with the rise in prices Redrow continue to sell. At the minute they have sold all the released plots.

We have now exchanged contracts and since we have gone through the sales procress their attitude has changed now they know we aren't time wasters! But beside the bad start with Redrow they have gone above and beyond for me and my partner and the service has been great. We move in July and the houses on the estate look well built with high ceilings and wide roads.
  • DB4
    DB4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Also a bit late but myself and my partner have exchanged contracts on a property at Rowley grange, due to be completed in July too.

They would not budge at all with the price which is 15K more than they were selling for a matter of months before we reserved. No incentives.

Rowley grange seems to be a popular site!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure