We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Not so distant future - walled garden

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Since my post yesterday, what I was reading on the Web seemed to amount to the usual reason for plastic being put down was weed suppression. There was another comment though, ie that its sometimes put down to stop soil erosion.

Don't know if the soil erosion theory might help explain your own plastic?
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Since my post yesterday, what I was reading on the Web seemed to amount to the usual reason for plastic being put down was weed suppression. There was another comment though, ie that its sometimes put down to stop soil erosion.

Don't know if the soil erosion theory might help explain your own plastic?

Sorry - didn't see your reply and query until now. No, no soil erosion. The garden is fully enclosed and mostly level with a couple of raised beds.

The update is that a landscaper is coming tomorrow to look at the soggy mess and (hopefully) give me a quote for the work. Think it may be a touch high as the soil underneath seems to have a lot of rocks/stones in. May have been used as a dumping ground for unwanted stuff... the current lawn isn't too bad, just soggy with black plastic 'cuffs' and the odd dip in the surface.

Fingers crossed!
    Options
    I shall be interested to know what level of quote you get given for this, as the one I've received is....errrrr...RATHER high.
  • Gers
    Options
    I shall be interested to know what level of quote you get given for this, as the one I've received is....errrrr...RATHER high.

Yes, will let you know. I expect a substantial amount as its a lot of work and I'll want a porous membrane too.

Don't know how large your garden is but the pictures on page one should give an idea of mine.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds a bit drastic/unnecessary to me to pay for all that work.

I'd just get a breaking bar or similar and go to town on the lawn making loads of holes in it and the plastic.

An hour or so later and you're sorted. Water will find it's way through then no problem.
  • Gers
    Options
    ixwood wrote: »
    Sounds a bit drastic/unnecessary to me to pay for all that work.

I'd just get a breaking bar or similar and go to town on the lawn making loads of holes in it and the plastic.

An hour or so later and you're sorted. Water will find it's way through then no problem.
    Did that. See earlier post.

It may sound unnecessary to you, however I deem it necessary and will b guided better by someone who actually sees the garden.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    I'm guessing that Gers has (like me:() got a thick layer of hardpan clay subsoil down underneath the top layer.

I know I have. I've seen the blimmin' stuff and it looks a couple of feet thick (maybe thicker) and is very clidgey and compacted.

Basically, I've been recommended to have the top couple of feet (soil and subsoil) removed, then a drainage layer of some inches thick of gravel or similar put down, then a thick layer of normal topsoil put on top (18" worth should do the trick to give me enough depth for roots of everything up to and including shrubs to grow as normal).

EDIT; I believe that these hardpan layers might have been caused by soil compaction of people/animals/etc walking over it for some years and compacting it down??? I've no idea just how deep a compacted layer like that can go down - so if anyone has photos/diagrams of that sort of situation to help assess it better that would be useful please. I never did study geology..
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Did that. See earlier post.

It may sound unnecessary to you, however I deem it necessary and will b guided better by someone who actually sees the garden.

Only trying to help. You said you tried forking it earlier. A breaking bar is much heavier duty than a fork and will go a lot deeper and make big holes.

Paying for someone to dig it all out, when you can puncture it seems a bit extreme to me, but each to their own.
  • Gers
    Options
    Well, landscaper has been, nice chappie.

Grass needs removed, topsoil added and the whole area levelled. Not got a price yet though he said the main cost will be labour and the topsoil. We've got hordes of slate slabs, natural stone slabs, firebricks and wood in the outbuildings so that can all be used to create paths and edgings.

I feel tons happier now that the process has started.
    Options
    Is a lot of existing stuff going to be taken away and dumped, or is it just the grass?

I understand a lot of the figure I've been quoted boils down to cost of disposal of rather a lot of existing earth (trans. that hardpan).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure