No will, really confusing (please help!!!)

Hi everybody, just registered for the forum to ask for some advice. I have spent days looking around for a conclusive answer, and whilst I think I may have found it, I am hoping that somebody may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Its a long story.....

My Grandmother got married when her son was 12 years old. Her son (my father) has no idea who his birth father is and as such had looked upon my Grandmothers husband as his father. My dad is an only child and my grandmothers husband had no living family whatsoever.

My grandmother died in 2007 and left everything to her husband.
Her husband passed away on 10/09/2015 and does not appear to have left a will.

We know that there are approximately £40,000 in savings and a house (value unknown), this is where the confusion starts....

The property in question was originally owned by my fathers great-grandmother and was passed through the family, so understandably I am keen to hear that he has inherited the property.

I always looked upon this man as my grandfather even though there was no "blood link", because he had been around for my entire life. It is proving a traumatic experience and we are keen to resolve but fear that as he has no blood descendants, the government will acquire all assets.

The only living family he has are my Father (his stepson), and myself (grandson) and my 2 sisters (grand-daughters). Between me and my 2 sisters we have 4 children of our own (great-grandchildren).

In the eyes of the law are we considered Grandchildren/Great-Grandchildren, or Step Grandchildren and Step Great-Grandchildren????

If somebody could offer some clarity regarding who is entitled to the estate, I would really appreciate it. I know its a long story, but my understanding is that my father has no entitlement. The confusion is that my father had an appointment with my grandfathers bank to advise of his death and to freeze his accounts, the chap he spoke to in the bank said that if there was no will he would inherit all assets?!?!!?

Really appreciate any assistance that you may be able to provide. Thanks, Wayne.

Comments

• Oakie
    Oakie Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Was your father formally adopted by your grandmother's new husband ?
  • no he wasn't
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    WayneJ81 wrote: »
    In the eyes of the law are we considered Grandchildren/Great-Grandchildren, or Step Grandchildren and Step Great-Grandchildren????

Unless your father was legally adopted by his step-father, you have no right of inheritance under the intestacy rules.

my understanding is that my father has no entitlement. The confusion is that my father had an appointment with my grandfathers bank to advise of his death and to freeze his accounts, the chap he spoke to in the bank said that if there was no will he would inherit all assets?!?!!?

Either the bank worker doesn't know the law or he didn't know that the deceased was a step-father.

It's not very common for someone to have no living relatives at all. If you go back up his family tree and then follow lines down, there probably are some distant relations alive.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    Either the bank worker doesn't know the law or he didn't know that the deceased was a step-father.

It's not very common for someone to have no living relatives at all. If you go back up his family tree and then follow lines down, there probably are some distant relations alive.

This was my fear to be honest. Does that essentially mean that any relative regardless of how distant they are on his side stands to inherit all assets? Appreciate all responses so far.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    WayneJ81 wrote: »
    This was my fear to be honest. Does that essentially mean that any relative regardless of how distant they are on his side stands to inherit all assets? Appreciate all responses so far.

This is the way it gets distributed -
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/IHTM12125.htm

It's very sad that your grandfather didn't make a will.
  • Thanks Mojisola, really grateful for your help. Exactly as I thought (hoping I was wrong) thanks again.:cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure