Samsung UHD TV + Cashback = Bargain

Ok, so I had decided to splash out on a new telly and because I wanted a decent 4K jobby I gave myself a budget of £1500.

Unfortunately, I then fell in love with the SAMSUNG UE55JS8500 which is an absolute belter but the best price I could find from the usual retailers was about £2000!!

Then last night I got a newsletter mail from Whathifi.com saying that pixmania.com are selling this exact tv for a limited time only at £1499 - ( This offer ends at Midnight on Sunday 6th September so be quick. They've also got some other models on offer )

Add to that the fact that Pixmania pay 10% cashback through Quidco and I've used a cashback credit card for the purchase and I reckon I'll have paid less than £1350 altogether....
A tidy £650 saving! :beer: :j:money: :beer:

Just got to wait for it to turn up now...... :(

And explain this ridiculous purchase to my wife! :eek:

Comments

• NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2015 at 2:07PM
    Unfortunately pixmania have terrible feedback and dont always sell UK models so you could possible have problems with guarantee with samsung as it could be a grey import

Long thread on mse too abeit old

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677665

They were sold a while back as Dixon group use to own them

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/pixmania-any-good-263881
  • Legocar
    Legocar Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've used them before and never had any problems.

Besides, I have 650 good reasons to take the risk and having paid by credit card I'll have an extra layer of protection if it all goes wrong......
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's a good saving, certainly, but it's Pixmania, so far too risky in my book.

It won't come with the full Samsung UK warranty, it may not be a UK model, and Pixmania has a pretty appalling reputation.

Good luck! S75 is a wonderful piece of legislation! :)
  • Taken from the website...
    "This product requires a mains adapter for the UK. Pixmania supplies an adapter when you buy this product"
    I can only assume it's an imported model. I'm going to sound clueless now, but why is an import such a bad thing?
  • what do you think of Samsung products??
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    wendy1201 wrote: »
    what do you think of Samsung products??
    Almost invariably excellent - and particularly the televisions, which are amongst the best.

Which? said this about this model:

Should I buy it?

Yes. Although you're paying big money for this TV, it'll delight you for years to come. If you're in the market for a premium 55-inch TV, then the Samsung UE55JS8500 is one for your shortlist.

I certainly wouldn't buy it from Pixmania though!
  • Ok, so I thought I'd post a quick update....

So my TV arrived 5 days after I placed the order and after following a calibration guide on YouTube the picture and functionality is absolutely fantastic.

I messaged Pixmania once to enquire about the expected delivery date and they did reply (albeit a little late..... :p )

I had an issue with some of the smart functions on the TV after a couple of days and contacted Samsung Tech Support. They were helpful, efficient and at no point did they suggest that I was the spawn of satan for buying a grey import! In fact, they never even questioned the source of the product. They just pointed out (quite correctly) that the problem in fact lay with my internet connection which had admittedly been a bit ropey for a few days (thanks Virgin Media!)
    All of the documents and on-screen menus etc are set to English by default so I didn't even have to brush up on my Swahili....

I realise that people are understandably cautious about buying products from retailers like Pixmania but they are not cowboys. They may have a poor reputation for some things but show me a retailer anywhere and at any price that doesn't occasionally screw things up and leave a percentage of their customers feeling disappointed.

After cashback I will have purchased this TV for about £1375. The best price I could find on the high street was £2099
    That's a £724 difference!
    If something does go wrong with the TV I can afford to put it in the back of my car, drive to Dover, cross the Channel and personally deliver it back to the retailer for repair or replacement and I'll still be better off financially!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure