PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical

Options

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I was in Currys today to buy my son's ipod for Christmas, and they have the 510 in there for £179. I'm tempted, I'm tempted! :D

In fact I'm thinking of going in tomorrow to buy one :o Ages ago my mum gave me some money to buy myself some clothes. I hate buying clothes. Normally when she gives me money for myself it usually ends up being spent on everyone else but me, but I think I might treat myself, and slowly buy the accessories that I might need (I quite fancy making my own pasta).

I will keep you informed :rotfl:

Do it! do it! do it!

I did it yesterday but only because my OH made me, I still feel guilty spending so much money on myself :o

Then I stroke my beautiful 510 and feel soooo much better.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    Options
    I've been waiting for one (or a KitchenAid) to come up on the lightning deals all week but no sign :( I take it the ones you're referring to just have a special offer discount on at the moment.

Assume it's this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Classic-Kitchen-Machine-Silver/dp/B000Q7ZCFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353688590&sr=8-1#productPromotions

Looking at the specs the one linked to on Currys is £20 cheaper but potentially better?

I still haven't been able to get my Freecycled A701A to lift up, but a local expert repair man has said he can service it for £30, which I suppose I'll do now I can't get a really really good deal on Amazon BF deals

Yes, you're right the one in Currys is better, for less money.

It's got an all metal body, whereas the Amazon one is mostly plastic, it's got a larger 1000w motor, the Amazon one has 800 watt and it comes with an extra flexible beater and cookbook, which are both £20 each to buy.

TBH, the 336 hasn't been the £299 quoted for quite a while and it's only £187 at Tesco!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in love! I went to Currys and bought my Kenwood Chef. So far all I've done is admire it and stroke it when I go past, but tomorrow morning I'm going to make bread with it. I did like the picture on the box of how the Chef has progressed over the years. My mum had one of the 1960s ones, but I think the 1950s one is a thing of great beauty. Am I a bit of a saddo :rotfl:
  • Rossy2692
    Options
    Just done a loaf, proving now for its first prove :)
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • peachyprice
    Options
    Congratulations on your new arrival justamum :j

I made bread in mine at the weekend, twice! It came out just as good as the rolls and french sticks I've been using my BM for.

And I made pastry, which was fantastic, I don't usually bother making my own because I'm pants at making it by hand, it comes out really tough, by my beautiful new boy made lovely light dessert pastry.

And I made a pandan chiffon cake, it's the first time I've made one, it's one of those cakes that you have to whisk the egg yolks and sugar first, then the egg whites, then add flour etc and fold the whole lot together. It's supposed to be an incredibly light fluffy cake and although mine tasted just as it should it came out a bit more dense than it should have. I think it may have been because I had to move the whites out of the mixer bowl so that I could whisk the yolk mixtutre, soooo I bought another bowl that arrived today! I'm going to try it again this weekend.

I am so in love.
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in love! I went to Currys and bought my Kenwood Chef. So far all I've done is admire it and stroke it when I go past, but tomorrow morning I'm going to make bread with it. I did like the picture on the box of how the Chef has progressed over the years. My mum had one of the 1960s ones, but I think the 1950s one is a thing of great beauty. Am I a bit of a saddo :rotfl:

You are absolutely not a saddo. The asthetics of the early chefs are gorgeous. Design classic - and still are!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs G is getting one of these for Christmas...

A700D-500x500.JPG

Where did you find one of these originals? How do they compare on price?
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 29 November 2012 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Well, a little update from the first post. The Kenwood is going great guns at the moment. The reason I went for the K010 (reduced price £260) was because the motor is more powerful. I don't want it conking out on me too soon. However I still haven't had much chance to use it...

However, our lodger, who is a dancer, is currently out of work and rather bored. He's been using it on a daily basis making bread, pastry (though I've pushed him towards potato pastry as it's lower in fat), carrot cake etc.
    So far he's done
    Sour dough bread
    Rye bread with Caraway Seeds (great with sliced brisket)
    Semolina flour bread
    Soda bread
    Ciabatta

So far I've only used it for Banana Bread, Mash and Bubble and Squeak - not exactly stretching it.

I have used the food processor bit for Hummus - wonderful and so cheap for the quantity, for chopping onions, slicing/julienning carrots and grating cheese! Planning on using it for Guacomole (sp?).

The multi-mill has been used for coffee and quick sorbet.
    Still haven't used the mincer - we seem to be getting through the meat before I get a chance to use it. Though the lodger is looking speculatively at the kebbe maker.

The liquidiser is being well used and seems a lot sturdier than previous ones. It's a glass one - though I wouldn't've minded the tempered glass one which can cope with very hot liquid, or the stainless steel one which can cope with anything!

I have on order from e-bay a roto slicer/grater and a high speed continuous slicer. Those will do the same as the food processor, which came with the chef but are unlimited with the quantities. Good for layered salads etc.

By the way, all the A9XX Chef attachments should work with any of the more recent versions of the Kenwood. Only the A7XX don't - which i know to my cost as I got a peeler, slicer grater, continuous slicer off e-bay but neglected to notice the fact that they were for the A701 - so useless to me!:wall:

All the A9XX Chef Bowls should fit the new Chefs too.

You may find that some of the A9XX attachments for the KMs don't appear to fit some KM models as they have a 'high wall' at the back rather than the whole back plate being able to be removed. I have been informed by Kenwood that they won't work - any using the high speed attachment at the back need to be new ones to fit! How annoying as I'd just got one of those too!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • peachyprice
    Options
    Where did you find one of these originals? How do they compare on price?

They come up on ebay regularly and there's a company who restore them. The ones on ebay seem to go for around £100 ish.

http://www.kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk/Restorations-Done.htm
  • peachyprice
    Options
    dronid wrote: »

The multi-mill has been used for coffee and quick sorbet.
    Still haven't used the mincer - we seem to be getting through the meat before I get a chance to use it. Though the lodger is looking speculatively at the kebbe maker.

Thanks for your most informative post, but what's a kebbe? I saw it in my book but still don't know what it is :o

I'm watching a few extruding pasta makers on ebay at the mo, I don't really want to splash out for the roller type yet as although I'm sure they make better pasta I'm not sure how much I'll use it, not being a great pasta lover (OH is though).

I shall watch with interest how you get on with your roto slicer, that looks good, especially as once I get rid of my food processor I won't have anything to slice the potatoes for potato bakes like dauphinoise, I thought that might do the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure