Medical Trials... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think we can start talking about long term effects because who knows what the products we use do to us over a long term basis. Mobile phones, constant use of electronic devices? These might turn out to affect us.
    What is the difference? At least these are truthfully saying they are tests.

Why add to the risks of life for money? By definition these drugs are untested meaning that nobody really knows what the effects will be.

My life is too precious to me to risk any aspect of it for a relatively small amount of money.

Would you sell a kidney for money as well on the basis that you have two?
  • Tozer
    Options
    talana wrote: »
    What's the alternative? Dispose of healthy volunteer trials and give medicines directly to patients with no prior testing?

Yes if the conditions are terminal. Frankly, I'd take a punt at anything if I was on my way out and there was a chance of cure.

And in non-life threatening situations - use violent prisoners!
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Options
    Why add to the risks of life for money?
    As valid as any other reason I would have thought. Plenty of people risk their lives for pleasure (drinking to excess, scuba diving, mountaineering or whatever). Are they more valid reasons?
    Yes if the conditions are terminal. Frankly, I'd take a punt at anything if I was on my way out and there was a chance of cure.
    That one I agree with you on. This is done already of course for particular limited conditions, but it's only a small fraction of all the drugs that have to be tested.
    And in non-life threatening situations - use violent prisoners!

Can you honestly see that working?
    1. By definition they're violent, so all medical staff are immediately at risk.
    2. They would have to actively cooperate. believe me you can't run one of these trials without the active cooperation of the subjects.
    3. They would have to be wittled down by the usual criteria for these studies: so selected by sex, age, medical history, non-smokers, no history of drug abuse! etc etc. So just how many violent criminals would represent the pool of subjects eligible for these trials? Not enough I would suggest.

Which brings us back to healthy volunteers........
  • chrisxr2
    chrisxr2 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    You have all forgotten to mention though there is a fir chance you will be the person given the placebo and literally get payed for no risk at all. the air force still pay for people to go to porton down and get biological and chemical warfare agents tested on them.
  • Tozer
    Options
    chrisxr2 wrote: »
    You have all forgotten to mention though there is a fir chance you will be the person given the placebo and literally get payed for no risk at all. the air force still pay for people to go to porton down and get biological and chemical warfare agents tested on them.

Yeah and there is a fair chance you will be injected with chemicals that nobody knows what the effect is. I value my life more than a few quid.
  • Tozer
    Options
    talana wrote: »
    As valid as any other reason I would have thought. Plenty of people risk their lives for pleasure (drinking to excess, scuba diving, mountaineering or whatever). Are they more valid reasons?

That one I agree with you on. This is done already of course for particular limited conditions, but it's only a small fraction of all the drugs that have to be tested.

Can you honestly see that working?
    1. By definition they're violent, so all medical staff are immediately at risk.
    2. They would have to actively cooperate. believe me you can't run one of these trials without the active cooperation of the subjects.
    3. They would have to be wittled down by the usual criteria for these studies: so selected by sex, age, medical history, non-smokers, no history of drug abuse! etc etc. So just how many violent criminals would represent the pool of subjects eligible for these trials? Not enough I would suggest.

Which brings us back to healthy volunteers........

Scuba diving, mountaineering is done for the enjoyment. Do you have unknown drugs injected into you for enjoyment or for a few quid?

Comments about prisoners was tongue in cheek (sorry, though it was very obvious). Of course it would never happen!
  • Grass_Stained_Feet
    Options
    My bro did a few of these, nothing ever happened to him, although he thinks it's proabably not a good idea to do too many, so he's stopped now.

I was properly up for it, but then I had to go into hospital and decided that i'd not like to go through that through choice, so went off it...also I'm a girl and it's harder to get in....requirements are harder to meet!

I'll repeat others and say that by doing it you are not only making money but helping out with medical research....! That can't be forgotten.
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Has nobody even stopped to consider that fact that these new drugs will (hopefully in the long term) help alot of very sick people? Think of the good you are doing.
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Options
    Scuba diving, mountaineering is done for the enjoyment. Do you have unknown drugs injected into you for enjoyment or for a few quid?

No, you're doing it for money. But that was exactly the point I was making.
    So you're saying it's fine to risk your life for pleasure but not for money? Frankly I don't see any distinction, equally valid.
    And what about if I did inject drugs for enjoyment? Would that be better?
    Comments about prisoners was tongue in cheek (sorry, though it was very obvious). Of course it would never happen!
    Ok, but I have heard it said as a serious suggestion before. If you accept that would never happen, then we're stuck with healthy volunteer trials.
    If we need them and we can't avoid them (and that's the bottom line here), I don't know how you can really be against people taking part in them for a few quid.
    Should we not pay people? Again, it wouldn't work. People won't volunteer without some incentive.
  • crazyangel_2
    Options
    dfub wrote: »
    I know there have been threads about this before, but i am currently doing (at this very minute) a medical trial at Covance in Leeds. I checked in on Tuesday afternoon and have had a great time. They will only be giving us the drug tomorrow so for one and a half days i will have watched DVD's, used the internet, played video games, read the paper etc.

I was really apprehensive to start with but everyone is so friendly. It is 4 nights now, then 3 in March and 3 in April and for that i get over £1500. It's money for old rope.

Just thougth this might help someone to decide if they were in two minds about signing up.

I have conmsidered medical trials but do you do it along side your main job or is it self employed???
    Also how many trials can you take within a certain time period,I would have health concerns about taking too many.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure