PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Spent today being the one person in the building who did not lose their temper with the Offspring of the Parish. Mainly because when they started whining at me about their grievances (ie, being told 'no', arguing about and demanding it, being told 'no' again, going to bother somebody else, being told 'no' and then arguing the toss further about their 'Rights' - rights to behave appallingly, apparently) and crossing into my physical exclusion zone despite being told they were too close and I didn't appreciate their raising their voice at me, I stepped back into a room, closed the door and locked it behind me.

Please, people, don't let your kids grind you down with whining and arguing and making excuses why 'no' shouldn't mean no. Arguing about anything needs to result in an absolute 'no' and an additional consequence for trying to manipulate you. Otherwise you end up with hulking teenagers who simultaneously behave like three year olds and try to use their physical size to try to intimidate staff, especially when they do it in packs. But, naturally, when it gets home to Mummy, it'll be the big, bad teacher picking on them.

:mad:

Last night's packet went in bin, tonight's foil wrapping went in bin. That'll do for today. If I have something to eat (got chicken stock in the SC right now), I might even do some washing up.

Practically crawled home with tiredness and intend to keep as immobile as possible - went to bed and went to sleep before 11pm last night :eek:. Woke up at 4.50am :wall:, but went back to sleep again. Hopefully, I'll sleep earlier tonight as well - and stay asleep.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    Slow cooker prepared for tomorrow. Recipe only needs 6 hours so I will switch on when I pop home for my break (the perks of living opposite work) very simple chicken curry recipe so I hope it's tasty.
    Onion, pepper, curry paste, can chopped toms, 2/3 can water & chicken. Coriander to add when serving.

Marvellous Monday - Christmas madness Looms - get your retreat ready - your bedroom

Level 1
    Strip bed - leave to air while you have breakfast/school run etc...
    then - vacuum/dust headboard and bedframe
    remake bed
    clear floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Level 2
    Dust bedside tables
    Wipe sticky mats, sockets and switches
    Dust any other furniture
    Polish mirrors
    Level 3

Clean windows and sills
    Check corners for cobwebs
    Dust skirtings
    Vacuum floor
    Extras
    MAD half hour - if you can't think of one why not have half an hour wrapping presents/writing cards/sorting out online shopping - writing Xmas Toots list
    For those for whom there are mixed feelings at Christmas - be kind to yourselves.
    [STRIKE]S&S kitchen[/STRIKE] and bathroom.

Tuesday - time to sort out the kitchen
    Level 1

CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE
    wash all moveable bits eg shelves, salad boxes etc
    Check de-icer/drain holes are running clear
    [STRIKE]Dispose of anything that's crawled into a corner and died.[/STRIKE]
    wipe down fridge innards and don't forget the seals - you want the fridge clean and fully-functional for December
    Level 2
    wipe drawer fronts
    wipe handles, sockets, switches and splashbacks
    Level 3
    Clean the floor
    Extras
    S&S bathroom
    Make your bed and all beds in the house
    MAD half hour - what can you tick off your ominous xmas to do list?
    [STRIKE]Have you got enough stamps?[/STRIKE] Nope. BF been given instructions to get some when he's in town on Saturday.
    Write a minimum of 5 cards None written, but I have created my list. Checked on my stamp supplies and dug out the cards from the xmas box. We are very low, I have a pack of 10 'colour your own' cards that will do for family (I will colour them in at work on Sat :p) and enough nice cards for close friends. I need a box of 'cheap & cheerful' for the work colleagues, so BF has his orders.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    - [STRIKE]Write two covering letters to go with LPA and Vet thing
    [/STRIKE]- [STRIKE]Post LPA[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Post parcel to Vet UK
    [/STRIKE]- [STRIKE]Order from Vet UK[/STRIKE]
    - Minutes
    - [STRIKE]Visit new voluntary role place[/STRIKE]
    - Make a couple of things
    - Make another couple of things
    - [STRIKE]Get Christmas cards down from attic[/STRIKE]
    - Write some Christmas cards
    - [STRIKE]Go to the pub and talk to the landlord about an idea we had that I need to rein in and put on hold until next year when we'll have time to organise it properly
    [/STRIKE]- Meal plan from yesterday's freezer sort
    - Sort out another space, dining room cupboards might be a good place to start
    - [STRIKE]take small pile of gibble to nearest CS[/STRIKE]
    - First draft of letter to vet
    - [STRIKE]Do a bit of cosmetic Flying.[/STRIKE]
    - Do a bit more cosmetic flying.
    - [STRIKE]Return two library books and get the reserved one[/STRIKE]
    - Do some six hat thinking about never-ending listys
    - Query pension anomaly
    - Polish and spray boots
    - Protect study
    - Sort In Trays

Well, some of it's done. It's a bit better. The dsyon's been sounding a bit funny and conking out, so I've given the filter a thorough wash. It took far longer than doing the vacuumming would. Kitchen tidied, laundry sorted for at least one load tomorrow to take advantage of the forecast.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »

Well, some of it's done. It's a bit better. The dsyon's been sounding a bit funny and conking out, so I've given the filter a thorough wash. It took far longer than doing the vacuumming would. Kitchen tidied, laundry sorted for at least one load tomorrow to take advantage of the forecast.

When I had a Dyson (and carpets in every room/hallway, cats, a dog, two longhaired regularly moulting children, one with a dustmite allergy, myself and an ex who was thinning rapidly), I bought a second filter, so I could rinse out one every 3 - 5 days - I vacuumed daily at that point. Rinsing it regularly made cleaning it much quicker; it took longer to get the long ginger strands out from where they wrapped around the turbo brush.

Daily? It's not even monthly since Himself has been in charge of the housework. Having a £30 vacuum cleaner off ama zon would suggest that he's trying to make it last longer. At this rate, it'll still be barely used when I'm retired. :cool:
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Options
    Jojo.. I have taken on a huge hulking ex-navy tutor who was bullying my then 14/15 year old son (his boss also sided with me because he was in the wrong), usually I will back the teachers as I do appreciate their insanity in dealing with hundreds of spotty oiks with hormones and attitude problems and thinking a split end foretells the end of humanity.. But I utterly agree.. whining and snivelling gets an absolute no in here.. I do usually explain why it is a no rather than just a flat 'no' .. if someone said no to me I would like to know why so feel it is only fair to offer that info to my sproglodites.. Other times I ask them to give me the reasons why I said no.. they know the answer if they think about it.

bed time in here... Christmas tree is hopefully goign up tomorrow!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I didn't drown or get swept away by the rising water, so that's good. Well, for me at any rate - it does mean you lot have to listen to me twittering for a little longer :D

Laughed out loud at the dog discussion. I'm sure I've seen a programme about people who dress up as dogs...

We have just invested in some super-duper thermal dog kennels, which DH now has to build a base for, erect (correctly) all the panels and frames, then kit out with cushions and blankets, water [STRIKE]troughs[/STRIKE] bowls and electrickery for heating, lighting and ambient music. Then, and only then will we be able to go out, safe in the knowledge that our hounds are warm and snuggy while we are doing dreaded Christmas shopping.

Another chook carked it in the night, so a hole must be dug in the frozen ground this morning to bury her. The antibiotics didn't work and the third hen is wheezing and looking sad now, so I think she may be on her way soon too.

Right, let's get my ratbags ready for school!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all,

V quick one as working all day so need to be super organised. Sending big hugs to LW, there's sticks, spoons, brews and chocolate aplenty here. Sorry to hear about your chook Dizzy x

Will post properly later have lovely days all x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all :wave:
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    It's typical, isn't it. I've done 12 things that were on a listy, but that listy never made it as far as the computer. I seem to spend my time not doing what I thought was urgent as something, in fact many many things, have cropped up in the meantime that are far more urgent. As this seems to be a permanent state of affairs, clearly I am getting something very wrong. I need to work out how to be realistic about what needs doing and what I can actually get done. No wonder Flying's so far down the list and gets left until the place is a shambolic sty.

That's exactly how I feel most days, Honey Bear.

Sorry to hear about your hens, Dizzy :( I won't tell Rosie about your new kennels - she'll want one too! :p She is turning into a well-behaved and contented indoor dog, but still loves being outdoors.

LOL at the idea of dog impersonators lining up to stay with LW :rotfl:

Yesterday evening's college lecture was utterly exhausting, so why did I have to wake up at 4.45 this morning?
    I spent an hour tidying up emails, sending birthday cards, etc, and downed :coffee::coffee:
    I have also done a bit more of my essay and the word count has shot up from 300 to 800 - how on earth did that happen? If I can persuade DH to give Rosie her morning walk, I will crack on while I'm in the mood. It definitely needs to be finished by Saturday evening, as I've got other urgent work to be done over the weekend, but I'd really like to have the bulk done by noon on Friday so that we can go and see DS2 and family for a few hours.

Today:
    - food will be cooked as necessary
    - WMx1
    - S&S bathroom and kitchen
    - quick tidy round everywhere else (especially kitchen table)
    - an hour's walk for Rosie this afternoon

DH is tidying his man-cave again and actually decluttering a bit.
    He has routine appointments with the dentist and GP today, so I will send a bag of stuff to the CS and might also ask him to do a mini top-up shop while he's out.

Hope everyone has a good day. (((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Options
    Well I just skived out of a trip into town.. it is blooming freezing out there!! OH is not at work until 4 so he can drive me there and back tomorrow and I can squeeze in a speedy T shop.. we need cereal and baby slop.. yes I am fully aware she should just eat what we eat but she doesn't and won't, she is offered food several times daily, so slop it is.. she does at least feed herself the slop now so we are heading in the right direction just very slowly.

WM on

Squeak has a school trip tomorrow so I need to build her a packed lunch which she is more excited about than the trip.

Everyone away to school/college/work (DS2.. I do like that he is employed albeit voluntary)
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Sorry about chickens Dizzy
    Funeral day today; suitably grey and murky outside.plus in the last 2 days I've developed a cold, a cold sore and 2 zits so I feel just great!
    I got this eve's dinner part prepared yesterday.
    Study now tidy, clean and fit for BIL to stay in tonight.
    Bird feeders filled - 8 fairies yesterday.
    Work emails replied to.
    Almost finished a report last night, would be great if I could finish it later but not holding my breath.
    Did a lot of Christmas planning with mum yesterday, we visited a Christmas barn to put us in the mood then started making lists of who is buying/cooking what.
    Oh well catch up with the rest of life some time.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure