Avoid like the plague

Hi just want to spread the word about dealing with this unscrupilous company, for ease of facts I have copied the claim to ofcom below

"
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi there

in August 2016 I ordered internet and broadband for 12 months.

This was for a second branch of my business in a new town, the line was already installed with XLN TELECOM and so I thought it easier to stay with them, I filled in all the relavant forms online, entered my bank details and completed the application. At that point my order was placed (or so I thought)

a few days later I got a phone call from an XLN advisor to set up the account, no matter how many times I tried to tell the advisor that I had already signed up he would not listen, felt very much like he was just interested in getting his commision!

Anyway as I NEEDED to get my line active for this new part of my business I aggree to go through it over the phone, all be it very hard to understand and broken information (i have a copy of the telephone conversation if needed).

Susequently after 12 months the new part of my business did not work out so I have closed that branch and went to cancel the contract with XLN, I am now told that I have a 2 YEAR contract not a 1 YEAR that I ordered on the internet! I feel this is very underhanded and almost a scam!

So if I want to cancel my contract which I have already paid sept and oct over and above the 12 months I was expecting, I have to pay £299 to cancel the telephone service and £99 to cancel the broadband, total of £400!

I have tried to speak with customer service but have mainly been met with aggression and a poor attitude.

Please help Below services has been selected : Bundled Services are Landline,Broadband"
[/FONT]

Would you ever deal with XLN TELECOM again 4 votes

YES OUTSTANDING PRICE AND SERVICE
0%
NOT ON YOUR LIFE THEY ARE SCAM ARTISTS AND BULLIES
25%
bitsnpcs 1 vote
NEVER USED
75%
motorguyrobin58v40vol 3 votes

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NEVER USED
    bitsnpcs wrote: »
    Hi just want to spread the word about dealing with this unscrupilous company, for ease of facts I have copied the claim to ofcom below

"
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi there

in August 2016 I ordered internet and broadband for 12 months.

This was for a second branch of my business in a new town, the line was already installed with XLN TELECOM and so I thought it easier to stay with them, I filled in all the relavant forms online, entered my bank details and completed the application. At that point my order was placed (or so I thought)

a few days later I got a phone call from an XLN advisor to set up the account, no matter how many times I tried to tell the advisor that I had already signed up he would not listen, felt very much like he was just interested in getting his commision!

Anyway as I NEEDED to get my line active for this new part of my business I aggree to go through it over the phone, all be it very hard to understand and broken information (i have a copy of the telephone conversation if needed).

Susequently after 12 months the new part of my business did not work out so I have closed that branch and went to cancel the contract with XLN, I am now told that I have a 2 YEAR contract not a 1 YEAR that I ordered on the internet! I feel this is very underhanded and almost a scam!

So if I want to cancel my contract which I have already paid sept and oct over and above the 12 months I was expecting, I have to pay £299 to cancel the telephone service and £99 to cancel the broadband, total of £400!

I have tried to speak with customer service but have mainly been met with aggression and a poor attitude.

Please help Below services has been selected : Bundled Services are Landline,Broadband"
    [/FONT]

And did you get any paperwork at all or emails conirming what you'd signed up for?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds fairly typical ... I've not heard of this company but at work we've extended our phone system several times. They have the most appalling ordering service, NOT UK based, and they set up a new contract absolutely every time we do anything. Standard contracts are for two years, and they often 'suggest' that if we want everything to show on one account we should transfer the existing phones onto the new contract / account which they've set up.

Should you agree to this, thinking that one account is better than two or three, you may find that they fail to cancel the DD on the previous account, and then fail to collect on the new DD, and then get to a delightful stage where they are not collecting AT ALL, but setting the debt collectors onto you.

when you explain to the debt collectors who phone what's happened, they back off. You then go back to the phone company, they assure you they've sorted it all out, there's now only one account and everything will be collected on one DD, and yes they will email you to confirm this.

so it's all wonderful, until the following month ... when it all starts again ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I too run a small company and have dealt with XLN for a few years. During that time they have never really fulfilled their promised economy and their service has been patchy, but still the direct debits roll out.

Most recently they have changed all their systems over to a new cloud-based service because 'we have had more thaqn a few problems in the past but it is all going to be wonderful now'.

Having completed a very bumpy changeover in which their techicians actually sent us an electronic PDF copy of their own service use instructions to run their systems by mistake(!!) we start the New Year with an announcement that the new systems will only run on fibre connections due to the increased data flow of the new setup. Not only was this never a condition or up-front consideration, we are now advised they are simply pulling the plug on any customer who hasn't paid them to upgrade the system which we never really asked for but were connect into last autumn.

I was told we are only one of 10 (yes ten!) customers nationally who are stuck with the problem so tough luck. Pay up for fibre or get lost.

Avoid this company like the plague. Their promised costs savings have proven hollow over time and their customer treatment in this matter - if no other - is contemptuous.

We all know companies have problems at time. It is then you find out how good they are from how they handle the solution. This lot would seem to almost be shutting up and starting again with a new customer base when the going gets tough and they have to deliver what they promised.

Awful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport