Options

Comments

• 4_Pete's_Sake
    4_Pete's_Sake Posts: 309 Forumite
    Newshound! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:36PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    A full service history at Vauxhall will not include a 6 monthly oil change. So your attention to detail must be lacking because you obviously havnt even bothered to read the book.

IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS :j
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:36PM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Just think what will happen to the daughter if she doesn't get a first?

It's an interesting perspective from the OP, his daughter is obviously the first in the family to go to university and so there is little knowledge of the way higher education works.

• 4_Pete's_Sake
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    From your OP

I think you mean your daughter renews tax with her green tear off slip as a new keeper... is that right?

You then do the transfer on the 1st

Why don't you do the transfer on the 1st as step 1
    then step 2 new keeper buys tax.

It would still work.

Hi Wig

As the old tax ran out at Midnight on the last day of the month I wanted to tax it as soon as possible after midnight, which can be done either online or by phone using the Ref. No. on the green slip. However you cannot complete the online Change of Keeper form until after 07.00 hours in the morning.

We could have done it the way you suggested if the car had been off road at the time.
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    If that comment is aimed at me then you need to re-read what i actually said:

• 4_Pete's_Sake
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    OP decided to go off piste, no indication that any siblings went to uni or not, just the posting style suggests a parent who decides their child is unique and special.

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Wig

As the old tax ran out at Midnight on the last day of the month I wanted to tax it as soon as possible after midnight, which can be done either online or by phone using the Ref. No. on the green slip. However you cannot complete the online Change of Keeper form until after 07.00 hours in the morning.

We could have done it the way you suggested if the car had been off road at the time.

If you do the date of transfer as the 1st December, on the 1st, I don't think DVLA would have anything to say to the old keeper for not taxing it for December, because it is taxed from the 1st December by new keeper.

It is the same as what you did, she just bought her tax first the night before. If she buys the tax on the 1st, the end result is the same.

I think the waiting to midnight part is not necessary.

I will have to do mine with a 5 day SORN from 30th - 4th because mine is in the middle of the taxed period. We won't need to drive the transferred car for those 5 days.
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    If you do the date of transfer as the 1st December, on the 1st, I don't think DVLA would have anything to say to the old keeper for not taxing it for December, because it is taxed from the 1st December by new keeper.

It is the same as what you did, she just bought her tax first the night before. If she buys the tax on the 1st, the end result is the same.

I think the waiting to midnight part is not necessary.

I will have to do mine with a 5 day SORN from 30th - 4th because mine is in the middle of the taxed period. We won't need to drive the transferred car for those 5 days.

Providing you are not using the car then in the early hours of 1st of the month then it could be left till later in the day. However if you were using it in the small hours of the morning and got stopped by the Police or were unfortunate enough have an RTC then when the Police carry out their checks on the cars it would show as untaxed and they would not let you continue to drive it and may even have it recovered at your expense. However the Police cuts have been so severe that the chances of getting pulled over in the early hours are remote.

The 5 day SORN option is a good one if you don't need to use the car for this period and can keep it off road.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Service Manager at our local Vauxhall Dealer has advised me that if a 1.0L Corsa is only doing 2,000 miles a year that there is absolutely no need to have the oil changed every six months. But clearly you think you know better. LOL.

If a car is only doing 2000 miles a year with lots of short journeys it certainly does need an oil change every 6 months, just do some research about oil not getting up to temperature and how bad low mileage cars that have only done short journeys are.

By your own admission you have overpaid for a car which hasn't been serviced to a good standard.

But now the car is doing less than 5,000 miles a year:
    It is a 5 door Vauxhall Corsa Active 1.0L first registered in 2003. For the first 13 years & six months of its life it was owned by an elderly man who had only done 27487 miles and had FSH with his Vauxhall Dealer. (An average of 2036 miles a year). The car was in mint condition and came with 12 months MOT. No one had ever sat on the back seat! Just over 13 months later, it has done 32705 miles,

But by your own admission you are doing a 6 monthly oil change on only 5,000 miles a year.
    cost of Oil for the 6 monthly oil change

So considering the service interval will be way over 12000 miles a year (sometimes up to 20000 miles) then the vauxhall service manager will also advice you that a 6 monthly oil change isn't necessary. So why are you doing it every 6 months if your put so much faith in the advice of the service manager?.

You seem to be so determined to prove me wrong that your contradicting yourself.
    You now also imagine double spaces. Try copy and pasting my previous post into Microsoft Word and you will see that there are no double spaces. Perhaps you ought to invest in a proper laptop as clearly your one has a problem with its display.

Yes your right it doesn't have any double spaces and i will happily admit when i'm wrong but i was on my phone at the time. But ironically when i copied the post into Microsoft word it did point out several grammatical errors; which is quote ironic.
    It's not just about my daughter. Qualified Vets find your suggestion for getting a first to be laughable and impossible. And with respect they are going to know a lot more about this than you or I.

That just sounds like they are being very big headed by saying that anyone who does the part time course cannot possibly get a first. Do you really believe a university would continue to offer a part time option if nobody ever achieved a top grade while also working (which is the purpose of offering part time courses).
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    Options
    Takman

You're just jealous and I know why.

I'm so glad I live in the real world and not in your fantasyland.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Takman

You're just jealous and I know why.
    Mmm. Jealous of a grannied Corsa. Aren't we all?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure