UTR Number ?

Options
I have just started a spot of Mystery shopping and one of the companies is asking for my UTR number ?, and I do not know why they want it, or indeed what they are going to do with it ?, do they need this to Tell the Inland Revenue that you are working for them ?, they said it was 'Just for there records'.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Your UTR is your unique taxpayer reference when you are self employed. This is a bit cheeky of them to ask as they could potentially access your tax records with it. Either you are self employed or you are not - its the relationship between you and them that counts, not whether or not you have a URT.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    You might do better asking this on the 'up your income' board, where there is a regular thread on mystery shopping. Certainly I shop for a wide range of companies, but I have never been asked for my UTR, nor would I give it. AFAIK you don't get issued with a UTR until you register for your first tax return, which could be over 18 months after you start self-employment!

I would love to know which company this is - I suppose you are certain that they haven't used these intials as an abbreviation for some strange phrase of their own????
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    You can't blame them for asking for it as proof you've registered as self employed because many people don't, just say they have and then it's the company that gets into trouble.

I can't remember when I got my UTR but it was by no means as long as 18 months.

Have you registered as self employed, Dannydebt, because if you haven't and you're doing this self employed, you're breaking the law regardless of how little you earn from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure