Frump to Fab - Onwards and Upwards

Comments

• sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Prudent wrote: »
    SW I got a couple of bottles of this from a comp win:

https://www.aveeno.co.uk/products/cream

I found it cleared up dry areas that other creams simply weren't dealing with. I mostly use body shop body butter, but I find the Aveeno better on my upper arms. It doesn't need much either, which makes it quite economical.

Thank you, I shall look that up :)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Maman - I have those shoes!

All the talk of P333 yesterday lead to me going through my wardrobe this morning. All the autumn/winter stuff I'd moved to one side of the wardrobe has gone into a bag (well, a pillowcase). All the summer stuff that I know I'm not going to wear this year but can't quite bring myself to get rid of has gone into another.

I don't know how I feel about what's left. There are a couple of things I love love love, there are some really useful things and then there are a couple of things I bought earlier in the year and they're really nice, but I think I feel quite old in them. There's one top that DH chose (he usually picks really nice stuff) and it's a design and colours I would never choose for myself. I make myself wear it once a week or so to try to get used to it, but I just can't get used to it. I'm going to relegate it to wearing when I'm at the charity shop.

DH gets Aveeno on prescription for his many skin problems. When he uses it he does get great results.
  • lizzie157
    lizzie157 Posts: 542 Forumite
    Looks like we've all got the 333 bug!

I ended up cleaning out a couple of kitchen cupboards yesterday, not really resting but very cathartic. The whole house is a total mess not to mention the garden. H does as little as possible these days and i swing from 'if he wants to live in a pigsty let him' and not doing much myself to 'I can't live like this.' Not really sure how to approach it. If I do everything H has got out of having to lift a finger but if not I'm ashamed should anyone have to come as the house is such a mess. It is clean(ish) but very untidy. Will tackle the clothes when I feel ready to.

Perused the jobsites again yesterday but very little on there for round here. Tbh don't even know what the hell some of the jobs are with their fancy titles - I despair!

Anyway more de-cluttering this morning -off out this afternoon out of H's way.

Enjoy your day.
    Frump to Fab - Solstice Sizzler :)
    OU creative writing student :)
    Striving for a better life! :)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lizzie I have faced a similar dilemma with regards to housekeeping and I decided that I would rather live in a clean tidy house than a messy one. I have to admit getting a dishwasher went a long way to keeping my marriage happy :rotfl:

Unfortunately we are all naturally untidy in our home so I have had to work hard to keep on top of it however it is worth it for me and I love getting up in the morning to a neat home. Although at the moment I seem to be constantly tidying without really seeing any impact :eek:

I had a delicious breakfast of HM pancakes which although wasn't overly healthy was certainly a treat ;) Going for a long long walk today so I will soon burn them off.

My outfit for the day is looked out and I am going to adda bit of makeup today as I am taking DD to an appointment and I want to look smart and organised :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2014 at 7:23PM
    There's one top that DH chose (he usually picks really nice stuff) and it's a design and colours I would never choose for myself. I make myself wear it once a week or so to try to get used to it, but I just can't get used to it. I'm going to relegate it to wearing when I'm at the charity shop.

Maybe you could accidentally leave it on a rail!!;)

I've been out to lunch today and wore this skirt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZARA-BASIC-Silk-skirt-Size-S-/281368025244?pt=UK_Women_s_Skirts&hash=item4182d7589c

Very floaty and pretty and I got loads of compliments. With a white top, little turquoise cardigan and my holiday tan I was pleased. Mine cost £3.99 in a CS a few weeks back. So even more pleased.:D

MY DH is the absolute opposite when it comes to housework. IMO he's obsessed! I think it comes from living in a fairly disorganised home as a child as a few of his siblings are the same. It can be irritating as he doesn't like it if I leave cupboards or drawers open and I think he dusts, polishes and vacuums places that look perfectly clean to me. Left to myself I think I'd do a good clean every couple of months and then just basic tidying and hoovering round the bits that show in between. That's what I used to do every half term holiday. Now I just leave him to it.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm with Rummer on this one.

I cannot bear a messy house - it makes me "angsty" - I simply have to clean it up. I cannot function in mess and chaos - I can't think straight.

The thing to remember is - families, husbands, kids, pets etc create mess. When I used to get cross my wise Aunty S use to say "One day the house will be still and quiet and clean, there will be no mess, no clutter and you won't be endlessly hoovering and mopping. You will have mud free floors. You will probably be living alone"…...

Unless you have a very modern man then, realistically, I think that for most of us it is always the female who does the lion share of the housework.

When the house was at its worst I used to say to my OH "How wonderful it must be to see a house through a man's eyes and just not see the dirt, mess and clutter". He would look astonished and say that the house looked perfectly ok to him. :rotfl:

All my female friends say the same about their menfolk. Perhaps it's a generational thing but then again my sons are just the same. I feel sorry for their future wives. They will probably blame me for spoiling them but hands on heart I did my level best to make them modern metrosexual males. They still turned out to be little better than cavemen.:o . They will roll up their sleeves when press ganged.

All I can say is it appears that a man's version of clean and tidy is very different from a woman.:rotfl: I think this is really one of those instances when the expression "Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars" really does ring true.

There will always be exceptions of course - some men are actually better at keeping house than women, but on balance, it's usually down to the "little woman" ;)

Lizzie - if it upsets you to have your house in a state then clean it up, for your own peace of mind, your own sanity and your own self respect. Do it for you - never mind anyone else.

I think that, deep down, your malaise is not your messy house - rather it is the attitude of one of it's inhabitants!!! Address this issue for once and for all and everything else will fall into place.

You really do seem to be struggling with your relationship. Unfortunately no-one can really advise you. It's down to you now.

Just ask yourself one question.

Can I really stomach the thought of spending the next 30 years or so living with a man I no longer love or respect……..

Only you can answer that one.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Maman that is such a pretty skirt. I love turquoise and have a few turquoise items which will stay.

Rummer I am doing the constantly tidying thing too just now. We have had a fair bit of upheaval. In the last few months I decorated DD's old room and boxed her stuff and put it into the loft. She left home nearly 3 years ago and I have finally given up keeping the room as 'her' room. I think the stuff may be in the loft a while as she is working in London as never seems to have long term accommodation. Now I am in DD's room, while mine gets decorated. OH sold his house in April, so his things are in my spare room. I hate clutter - determined to be sorted by the end of the summer holidays. He is less tidy than me and I can relate to how Lizzie feels. Alec eiffel its sounds like you have had a very productive day - brilliant.

I haven't achieved a lot today. I have a very painful muscle just under my right shoulder. I am not sure if it was the aqua aerobics or the massage yesterday. I managed to clean the fridge and the freezer, sort them out make & make a shopping list & do some housework. No further forward on 333 & no fabbing today. Hopefully do better tomorrow.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well - it's been a funny couple of days.

My birthday turned out to be rather sad.

I had thought that OH was "happy enough" about his circumstances but my birthday seemed to have bought things into sharp relief. He was very upset because he couldn't even write a birthday card. A carer bought one for me and signed it on his behalf.

I really couldn't care about this but it obviously meant a great deal to him. He said "I wish I could get well". That just about broke my heart………

How do you answer that. You can't really say "Tough, pull yourself together because you aren't going to get better"……:o So painful.

Whatever happens that is likely to be the last birthday I will spend with him and of course this was the real reason why he was so upset.

Anyway I'm trying to put those kind of thoughts to one side.

Yesterday I went to see my physio so feel a bit better, and today I saw my dentist. Fancy paying good money to be tortured two days running. I must be a masochist. At least my toothache has gone. My teeth are the bane of my life. They cause me nothing but grief and trying to hang on to them costs me a small fortune.

Oh for a Hollywood Smile……...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's impossible to say anything in response to your sad post LL. I feel so much for your DH trapped inside his useless body. Just sending you a huge hug and pleased you have so many good times, including birthdays, to look back on.:A:A(one for you and one for your DH).

I think what happened with my DH is that his mum had 4 boys followed by 5 girls then a boy and a girl!:eek: She was also very forward thinking in her child rearing ways for her generation. I absolutely loved her as when she visited you knew she was coming to see you not check your house for dust! But I think as her older children were all boys she had no gender choice to make she just roped them in to help around the house with the younger ones so I have her to thank.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    LL Massive hugs, there is nothing that I can say that will bring you comfort. Just know that we are here to listen and to support you in whatever way we can.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure