Can i work in a school with a criminal record?

Options

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a question of showing remorse (although that's no bad thing) but the excuses and minimising of the crime ( 3 years for a first offence is pretty major) that is sticking in the craw for some of us.
    According to OP's further clarifications, none of the things which stick in your craw should be sticking there, unless you are going to call him a liar. He has paid the debt to society. Get over it. And it wasn't his debt anyway.

It seems like society owes him an apology and some remorse. You are included in that!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    It's not a question of showing remorse (although that's no bad thing) but the excuses and minimising of the crime ( 3 years for a first offence is pretty major) that is sticking in the craw for some of us.

He did three years in prison 17 years ago for handling stolen goods, regardless of how serious that was at the time he has done his time and not been in trouble since, this does not make him unsafe to be around children, in fact quite the oppisite, reformed ex criminals are often used by police and local authorities to talk to children about the effects of crime.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    According to OP's further clarifications, none of the things which stick in your craw should be sticking there, unless you are going to call him a liar. He has paid the debt to society. Get over it. And it wasn't his debt anyway.

It seems like society owes him an apology and some remorse. You are included in that!

You seem to forget that there are no guilty people in prisons!;)
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    The school are in the XXXX basically, they should never have employed you without a crb and are now sweating.This is one of the policies they have to strictly adhere to especially after Ian Huntley and the Bichard enquiry?.
    Also they have breached safeguarding procedures and would get into trouble if they were found out.
    If I were you,I would talk to a solicitor about the matter.Its there mistake not yours and see if you can be offerred some financial compensation for the upset of it all.They will probably give you a payout because they wont want you going to the safeguarding board and the papers!.
    They totally realise the situation they are in.
  • lindsayg_2
    Options
    If you explain what happened BEFORE the point when it comes up, then it's at the discretion of the Head.

Some will not 'risk' it, others will see it as a mistake you made many years ago, and have paid for.

Since the offence does not involve children, violence, sexual elements or drugs it's likely - but not definite - they will be prepared to give you a chance.

However, if you don't tell them, and it comes up, then you can guarantee they won't give you a job.

Honesty is the best policy. This thing is in your past, you have paid your debt to society, and for any job not involving care of children or vulnerable adults you are no longer required to declare it. Where you went wrong was letting it be a nasty surprise to HR instead of putting your cards on the table at the start.
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : £29 + £6 +
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    The school are in the XXXX basically, they should never have employed you without a crb and are now sweating.This is one of the policies they have to strictly adhere to especially after Ian Huntley and the Bichard enquiry?.
    Also they have breached safeguarding procedures and would get into trouble if they were found out.
    If I were you,I would talk to a solicitor about the matter.Its there mistake not yours and see if you can be offerred some financial compensation for the upset of it all.They will probably give you a payout because they wont want you going to the safeguarding board and the papers!.
    They totally realise the situation they are in.

Both of whom had no criminal past, which is what sticks in my throat, the system is so unfair. I would be looking at unfair dismissal if I were the OP, his crime was a long time ago and does not make him a risk to children and as far as I understand it, employers are supposed to use discession.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Both of whom had no criminal past, which is what sticks in my throat, the system is so unfair. I would be looking at unfair dismissal if I were the OP, his crime was a long time ago and does not make him a risk to children and as far as I understand it, employers are supposed to use discession.
    The school won't just be interested in crimes against children. Theft or having been involved in theft when you've got the keys to the whole school is also relevant.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HR have taken the view that being self employed, they could dismiss me without warning. However, HMRC and ACAS have confirmed that I was an employee but this would mean taking the School to court which my problem is not with them. The HR in question are going in april 2012 which says a lot about them.

You say you started working there 'recently'. I assume you have under 12 months service?

If so, you can be dismissed regardless before a year's service is up for the reason they cite, although you would have to be paid in lieu of notice if you were indeed 'employed'.

However, it seems the issue is between HR and the school. TBH, your only hope is to get the Head to fight it for you. It's out of your hands.

KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    You seem to forget that there are no guilty people in prisons!;)
    The fact that that claim would be manifestly false does not make the converse true, that everyone in prison is guilty.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be looking at unfair dismissal if I were the OP,
    but apart from any other considerations, the OP says the school were treating him as self-employed, so if he was invoicing them for his work then there's pretty much nothing he can do.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport