Advice on filling in Form for DLA please

I have a very complex medical condition where I have constant pain, mobility problems and am unable to carry out any "normal" tasks, i.e. shopping, housework, preparing meals and have been advised I may be eligible for DLA. I live alone and currently get great support from my Father, but he's in his 80's and I don't want him to have to continue to near the burden of my care

I have attempted to fill in the paper form, but cannot write for long enough - similar problem with on-line form. I also want to maximise my chances of succeeding in claiming and am unsure where to go for help with this.

I know Help The Aged have previously offered this service, but I'm only in my 40's even thought I feel and look aged!!

Any advice would really be welcomed please, but be gentle with me as I'm a virgin Poster :hello: although have been viewing site for ages.
I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W

Comments

• mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    If you can get to a CAB office theyre very good at helping with these sort of things.
    Only advice I can really give is that if you do manage to complete it yourself do it as if every day was a really bad day for you. Also, if they refuse you at first, ask them to review it. Sometimes this can make a difference to their decision.
    Good luck. I've had to do one myself in the past and they're not the easiest of forms.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • A friend of mine was applying for her child and the social worker filled the entire form out.
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you can save online applications and go back to them if that helps- the best way to fill it in is to be honest- don't hold back- my friends mum a very proud woman didn't tell them a lot of her probs as "she didn't think it was important" so was not awarded. when the CAB helped her filling in all the facts she was accepted. so best advise be honest about everything regardless of how irrelevant you think it is.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • I've just filled in mine for my son (5) as he has Autistic spectrum disorder, and one of the things I was told is to not be positive about anything, write down all your worse case scenarios, and if it fails apeal.

There is a thread on here somewhere about DLA going to go find it now as the experts are on there. No, it was the Autistic spectrum theard I was thinking about sorry.
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We went to the local disability action group (DAG) for help in filling in DLA after being turned down twice before in 2 separate applications
  • Many thanks for the advice so far - very useful. I do find it difficult to focus solely on the negative as it get's quite depressing when you immerse yourself in it! Had a medical yesterday for IB and, although doc was really sympathetic and understood the depth of my problems, it takes its toll on me emotionally as I try so hard not to adopt a "victim" mentality. Doc was brilliant though pointing out that even though I said I managed to wash my hair with difficulty that actually I couldn't do it and that he was going to put that down! Hope that gives something positive to those worrying about medicals for IB.
    wornoutmumoftwo - I feel for you. My Nephew is at the severe end of the Autistic Spectrum so I have some knoweledge of how difficult it can be for Mums in this situation.
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As far as DWP & claiming dla is concerned, housework is not one of the criteria for claiming & shopping isn't considered that important so don't focus too much on not being able to do these things & needing help with them.

Spend more time on your actual care & mobility needs & mention the shopping in the section where it asks what you would do if you had the help you needed, along with other things you'd like to be able to do with help.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Hi
    I work for the jobcentre and the best thing when you are filling in this form is to complete it with the feelings of when you are at your worst and not being a martyr that you can do things......writing down almost everything..there was a time when the staff at the jobcentre could help and I was the queen of filling them in...unfortunately this is not the case now but Social Services or make an appt to see the Disability Employment Adviser at the job centre.......they are fab and can signpost you to all sorts of helpful people.....good luckx
  • seggy1
    seggy1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    hello we have a wefare rights dept in great yarmouth there are brilliant good luck never try to fill these forms out yourself to complicated for the average person arthur
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When we were assessed in Dec 2007 for an appeal we were asked how the disability effects our daughter. TBH I forgot just how extensive it is sometimes

IE she has difficulty walking, balance, swallowing, gripping items.

Perhaps its best making a list of how the disability effects you before writing it all down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure