PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread Tuesday 21st October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
:staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
"Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
Proud to have dealt with our debt :)

Comments

• Good morning everyone :)

Gosh it's wild here this morning, torrential rain and extremely windy, can't wait for the journey to work ..... NOT!

Thank you for kind words about DH yesterday, we have actually come to the conclusion that it's really the best thing at the moment. It's just difficult when you are desperate to escape from somewhere awful, so go for anything half decent that you see. Back to the drawing board, we are looking at what else a 55 year old maths teacher can do, but sadly the answer seems to be not much :(

Pulled pork has been cancelled to later this week as there was more left over stuffed peppers than expected and I forgot we are being taken out to lunch from work today.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a super day

TTFTM x
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning TTFTM and all that follow

I hope your OH finds something soon - he could always do private tuition - we pay £27 ph for a tutor for DS2 to get him through his resit - a massive amount for us to pay, but he got A,s and B,s in everything else and really wants to go to Uni.

Havn,t popped in for a while, but have been reading - love n hugs to those sad and poorly - no goss at this end, enjoying married life and trying to save a few quid to pay for Tutor,s LOL (only 3 more sessions to go)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Morning all
    TTFM, sorry to hear that.
    Hugs to Molly, Elona, Hilly, Lilly & anyone else in need.
    Hubby went to work y'day & was sent home, his dressings were soaked through within a couple of hours. I bought him home changed his dressings & he rested for the rest of the day, he's going in for part of Friday to cover someones holiday.
    I bought a gammon joint & cooked it, so I can make him sandwiches before I leave each morning for his lunch.
    Time I set off for work.
    Have a good day.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning all

Ooh the weather is wild!! Keep safe everyone

Off to work in a few minutes finish at 6. It should go quickly as my appointments are rammed

HM quiche for lunch , I have a glut of eggs since both girls are now at uni I need to amend my order with the milkman

(((Hugs))) to all who need have a good day everyone xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Such sad news about Linda Bellingham, RIP x

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Still dark, but wet, windy and wild here.

DH up and gone to work early but not stupid early. DS1 up and gone to work. DS2 getting ready for school, he’s going to walk today instead of going on his bike, so needs to leave earlier.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips and peas for the menfolk. I had gammon, egg, onion sauce, new potatoes, and peas. Tonight we will be having smoked sausage pasta with crème fraiche sauce.

Take care x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good morning everyone.

Extremely wild outside, can't see anything yet but can hear the wind and rain. Have to go out in an hour and not looking forward to it. Think the forecast is better for the rest of the week. I've got a workman due to arrive at 10.00 and not sure he's going to make it. If he's coming North then the infamous Rest and Be Thankful pass is sure to have been badly affected.

I've got fasting blood tests this morning so its water for me until then. Don't like black tea or coffee much.

Visitors are holed up and enjoying watching the storm and the raging sea. Yesterday was stormy too until the afternoon. They want to do the 'Harry Potter' steam train ride...mmmm, not sure.

HH - hope OH's feet get a good rest and healing time.
    TTFM - it can be so despairing for your OH. He's in a better place to get a new job whilst still employed so hopefully he can keep going.

Right, storm gear all ready!

Happy stormy Tuesday.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Not as bad here as those of you further north but still blowing and raining, I think the south are meant to get it later this afternoon.

Offr to work for me and running late so a quick fly by from me.

Have good days all xx
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :wave:

It's a very wet and windy Devon this morning, my poor girls have a long walk to school in it but at least they all have new waterproof coats from the Regatta outlet store. I bought them last week at £20 each instead of £80! Quite the saving.

I've just prepped my slow cooker with a load of leeks, parsnip and carrots before popping a joint of brisket on top. I think we will need something warming and substantial tonight. The smell will probably drive me mad all day today though :D. I'll do some oven cooked baked potatoes to go with it and make a pineapple upside down cake while the oven is on.

I have to stir my stumps and actually leave the house today as we are nearly out of electric so I need to go to town and charge my key up. I have my CMHT worker coming round this morning so as soon as she's gone I shall just go and try not to think about it too much. I will try out my new bus pass providing the weather calms down a bit or I will get a taxi but obviously I'd rather the free option.

Sorry to hear your hubby didn't get the job TTFTM, hopefully there will be an even better one just around the corner. And ouch! Hester, your poor hubby's toes. I really hope he gets better soon.

I hope everyone manages a good day despite the weather and hugs for anyone who would like one. Take care xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all,

Such a shame when age comes into it TTFTM. With age comes a wealth of experience and knowledge. So sad he didn't get the job.

Not much to do in the house today. Just as well, ive got my Grandbaby for a couple of hours this morning whilst his Mom has an appointment to see about laser eye surgery. She's desperate to get rid of her glasses for her wedding day and her eyes don't like contact lenses.

This evening I'm going to see my Auntie. I have been meaning to go for ages but she keeps losing things and thinks people are stealing from her. I met her son on Friday and I arranged to go round tonight when he is there. Shant be going till 7 o'clock though.

Weather is awful as expected. Lots of wind and heavy rain.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
  • Judi wrote: »
    Such a shame when age comes into it TTFTM. With age comes a wealth of experience and knowledge. So sad he didn't get the job.

The problem is the massive variation in teacher's pay scales. From newly qualified to where DH is now, covers £15,324, so lots of schools want to employ at the cheap end of the scale and make cost savings.

The thing that really drives me mad is that there is still a massive shortage of maths teachers and the government is currently offering £25,000+ tax free bursaries to people wanting to train. If they diverted that money to schools to allow them to employ more experienced teachers, surely the schools would benefit and those teachers would be more likely to stay in the profession. Currently 30% of teachers want to leave teaching but no-one seems to look at that :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills