The best mascara please

Comments

• I tried a sample size black mascara from Lancome recently and it made my lashes look like spiders legs (!) I guess it just didn't suit my thin eyelashes.

Does anyone know of a decent brown mascara (sorry to leap on the thread, I just wasn't sure whether to start another one when my question is kind of on the same topic?)

I get the feeling brown isn't a popular colour at the moment and most people tend to go for black mascara but I am finding black looks a bit harsh these days, perhaps because I have fair skin and hair and light-coloured lashes, so am thinking of trying brown instead.
  • clare64 wrote: »
    I am looking for a good ( pref cheap) mascara that will not run if you encounter driving rain/snow!
    Any ideas?
    Clare

I <3 Maybelline's Volume Express Cat Eyes mascara - it's about £6 and generally on some kind of 3 for 2 offer in Boots :)
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    I can testify that Boots 17 waterproof mascara really does stand up to driving rain! That was a horrible walk home, could hardly see for the rain pouring down in my face, but it didn't budge.

I've also tested it with a very strong onion and that didn't shift it either :D
  • MoonJelly
    MoonJelly Posts: 330 Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Rimmel also have a good one which says it helps lashes to grow and IMO it does. My lashes grew. I'd say you got to keep using it not just stick with one tube for a month then never use it again but I didn't use it every day and still got results.

Hi. Are you talking about the mascara that's got a yellow cap called "Lash Accelerator"?
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This month's PRIMA magazine have done an article on waterproof mascaras. They were tested in the shower and didn't run or smudge so - if you buy one buy some dedicated eye make up remover (apply to pad and hold on lashes to dissolve mascara- don't just wipe over) or baby oil shifts it.

They tested mascaras for under a tenner and rated Barry M Bold Black and Maybelline the Rocket Volum (sic) Express Waterproof as best.
    I think Max Factor Masterpiece must be good too; as the tester said she couldn't remove it with her usual wipes! So it got scored down...similarly Bourjois Volume Glamour Max waterproof was hard to shift - but if the testers weren't advised on the 'apply the remover to the mascara and hold it there for a bit' method then they would have trouble removing it - you can't have 'waterproof' and 'easy to remove' in one product!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • MoonJelly
    edited 8 May 2013 at 10:53AM
    What is the best way of removing waterproof mascara? I have tried wipes but I always end up losing lots of lashes. Is there a mascara out there that is waterproof AND easy to take off?
    £2900/PAID
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    MoonJelly wrote: »
    What is the best way of removing waterproof mascara? I have tried wipes but I always end up losing lots of lashes. Is there a mascarea out there that is waterproof AND easy to take off?

You don't ned a new mascara, just a new method of removing the one you already have. I use either micellar water or oil ( olive oil is best as it won't irritate your eyes). Micellar should be applied with a cotton wool pad, soak pad then hold over your eye for 10 seconds or so then wipe off. Oil is even easier, apply oil to finger tips, gently massage oil through your lashes for a few seconds before wiping off with a hot flannel. I've shifted all sorts of mascara using these methods, including waterproof.

Face wipes should never be used round your eyes as you need to rub so hard that it will damage the delicate skin there. If I could ban any beauty product it would be wipes, they are absolute carp for your skin, don't work well and are expensive.
  • MoonJelly
    sofababe wrote: »
    You don't ned a new mascara, just a new method of removing the one you already have. I use either micellar water or oil ( olive oil is best as it won't irritate your eyes). Micellar should be applied with a cotton wool pad, soak pad then hold over your eye for 10 seconds or so then wipe off. Oil is even easier, apply oil to finger tips, gently massage oil through your lashes for a few seconds before wiping off with a hot flannel. I've shifted all sorts of mascara using these methods, including waterproof.

Face wipes should never be used round your eyes as you need to rub so hard that it will damage the delicate skin there. If I could ban any beauty product it would be wipes, they are absolute carp for your skin, don't work well and are expensive.

THANK YOU for saving me money. I already have olive oil so I can try this try today even. I didn't know you wipes were so abrasive either. I didn't know the trick about the hot flannel either.

You are :A
    £2900/PAID
  • I would suggest to go for Maybelline mascara, It’s got a great scoop brush that really lengthens lashes and adds just the right amount of dramatic volume.
  • MoonJelly
    I would suggest to go for Maybelline mascara, It’s got a great scoop brush that really lengthens lashes and adds just the right amount of dramatic volume.

I hear you. :)
    £2900/PAID
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income