tax on laundry

i was talking to someone today about tax and they was saying that i can claim back tax due to me having a uniform which i take home and wash myself does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• raino144
    raino144 Posts: 55 Forumite
    You can claim an allowance of £45 (gross) per year if you are supplied with a uniform by your employer which carries a company logo.

You can back claim this for up to 6 years with a letter to your tax office. It should state: 1) that you were supplied with the uniform by your company 2) you are required to launder the uniform 3) it carries the name/brand/logo (delete as appropriate) of the company.

Note that the £45 should be multiplied by your top tax rate ( at 22% that's c.£10 per year cash) as to what you'll actually get back. Not bad for a 10 minute letter though :-)

Edit: Signature updated
  • gtone28
    gtone28 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Yes it's true

A postman posted a thread about it a couple of weeks ago with a link to a copy of a letter to send in.

I copyied the letter he wrote and sent it in myself, It took the Tax office in Liverpool 4 week's to adjust my tax code I am entitled to claim back to 2001 at a rate of £45 ish a year. (£221 x 22%).

If you wear a uniform and have to clean it yourself you are can claim. certain's professions can claim more.

Tax office address
    Your name and address

Payroll no.
    Tax code
    N.I

Dear Inland Revenue

RE: Expenses Allowance

I have been employed at (COMPANY NAME) since (START DATE). I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £45 for each year since the above date.

Yours Faithfully
  • thanks for the responses i thought he must have been joking with me letter is printed off and being posted today every little helps.
    could you tell me what do you mean when you say
    Quote I am just in the process of finding out wether I can claim for the VAT back on my shoes which is about the same amount, because one of my work mates has the allowence on his tax code
    just out of intrest thank in advance
  • gtone28
    One of my work friends has a tax code which is 508L, mine was 503L before they adjusted it to 508L. I asked him if he had already claimed it and he said that a couple of years ago he went into the tax office, and asked about the laundry allowance they said he was n't entitled to it but he could claim for the VAT on his shoes, which was £45 pound a year. I told him to try again because I wear the same uniform as him so I can n't see why he is not entitled to it if I am.

If you want to be a good moneysaver print off a couple of letters for your friends because if they are provided with a uniforms they are entitled to it.

we had a company come into our work place before christmas offering to get tax back for you, some of the employees aplied through them. they later found out that they charge 40% commision for doing it. Nearly Half your rebate and it only costs them the price of a stamp.

Warning don't let any company claim a rebate back for you, unless it's your accountant who help you save more than his/her fee's
  • hi im one step in front of you iv printed off a load and im taking them into work on monday thanks for you help and keep us informed of the outcome of the shoes :beer:
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    On a similar note...

My OH is a chef and as well as Hot Washing all his gear he is also responsible for buying it. Does anyone know the tax answer to this? (I know the company should be supplying his whites and clogs under PPE, but they don't!)

TIA.

A
    xx
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    jfdi wrote:
    On a similar note...

My OH is a chef and as well as Hot Washing all his gear he is also responsible for buying it. Does anyone know the tax answer to this? (I know the company should be supplying his whites and clogs under PPE, but they don't!)

TIA.

A
    xx

If his stuff is PPE it is the companies responsibility to supply it and ensure that it is used in a correct way. He should be able to claim back the cost of PPE directly from his company
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • gtone28
    I have now photocopied 250 copies of the letter for work friends plus I put a photo copy of the letter the tax office sent me back for proof.

it said sorry but you can not claim the allowance back to the date you stated but we can backpay it to 2001-2002 at a rate of £45.

I applied on the 25th of Jan and got a reply on the 26th feb
    (I was testing the water to make sure it was true)

Also I put a notice up saying

Fancy a possible rebate on £200 tax *
    if you are provided with a uniform with logo and required to clean it yourself you can claim £45 a year added to your tax code
    *worked out on 6 years tax back for overpayment*

copy of letter behind reception (free of charge) just the cost of a stamp and envelope.

depends on your current rate of tax

by the way if your going to prove it with a reply from the tax office don't forget to blank out you personnel information.

_
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I am not an advisor in any which way or form these are my own experience so they may not apply to you.
  • Just to make this clear. You won't actually get £45 per year back. HMRC allow relief on £45 of your earnings. This means,

If you are a 10% taxpayer you get £4.50
    If you are a 22% taxpayer you get £9.90
    If you are a 40% taxpayer you get £18.00
  • Also there is no way that you will get anything for your shoes. The only profession that have any allowance for this is nurses, HCAs etc who get tax relief on £18.00 per year for footwear, along with £70.00 for uniform, which works out at a rebate of £19.36 for the average nurse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure