PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cuddlymarms getting on with it diary

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 17 October 2014 at 5:32PM
    Options
    A family fave here is lambs kidneys in mustard sauce in a pastry case...........................Total cost including pastry for the last one that I did was 50p for the hm pastry, 79p for the kidneys (Butcher) a few sliced mushrooms 20p and a HM mustard sauce approx 30p = £1.59 for four of us or 40p each, served up with mashed potatoes and HG runner beans.

Or

Kidney goulash

Lambs kidneys, tin of tomatoes (4 tins of KTC beans or tomatoes are £1 in Morrisons at the moment), sliced mushrooms caramelised sliced onion , a handful of frozen peppers or whatever veg you like , 2tsp paprika or to taste, a clove of garlic-crushed, 1 Tbsp tomato puree, vegetable stock cube and a splash of natural yoghurt or fromage frais
    Core, slice, coat in flour and brown the kidneys, remove from the pan, add the rest of the ingredients and gently cook, put the kidneys back in the pan and add the tomatoes and tomato puree and warm through gently for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile boil some rice

When the rice is cooked serve onto plates and then serve the sauce with a Tbsp of yoghurt on top
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Just thought I'd pop by before I get on with my day. Today's jobs are getting on top of the washing mountain, ,collecting mine and OHs prescriptions and booking my flu shot.
    The cupboards, fridge and freezer are full to bursting now. It's amazing how far £62 can go with a bit of planning (shopping online is definately the way to go for me) Now as long as tomorrow's bad weather doesn't cause power cuts affecting my frozen stuff this little lot should last me till next month. Part of this shop was also towards Xmas so that's a little less to buy :)
    I'm whizzing around today because I'd rather not be out in the weather that's supposed to arrive tomorrow. My boys up North said they had had high winds and rain yesterday so no doubt it won't be far away. If they don't arrive it will just be a bonus :)
    Keep safe and well everyone
    Better stop nattering and get on
    Cuddles:)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Hi everyone :)
    Not popped by for a couple of days so here I am again.
    Monday was definately not a NSD but everything was planned. OH doesn't like alcohol in his Xmas pud so picked up one from Mr Ts ( also bought the adverts callenders while I saw the ones I wanted) Last year I left it till near Dec and ended up spending more than I planned.
    While I was out I popped into B and Ms for some wool to make my boys a cowl each as a stocking filler ( lovely big balls of Aran wool for £3.99) so that is my project at the mo. Also I can't knit and eat so it also keeps the calories down :) The same advent calendars I bought were 24p more expensive there ( not a lot I know but it all adds up)
    A couple of weeks ago I make a big pot of chilli but didn't make it hot enough. I used the rest of it I had frozen to make a lasagne and it was really yummy ( so yummy that we had seconds so no leftovers for lunch the next day but a really successful meal for buttons)
    I think we got off lightly with the bad weather. I hope you all did too.
    Today is a general pottering about housework day and then the gym when OH finishes work. The weight is only coming off slowly but at least it's coming off and exercise is getting a little easier each time.
    Thanks for the recipe ideas, we are definately eating a more varied diet now and cheaper :)
    Anyway better get on
    Have a good day
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Good morning frugallers :)

It's absolutely beautiful here today, blue sky and not too chilly. It's amazing how a little sunshine can give you energy to do the things you'd normally like to ignore. The ironing is in a pile ready to be done, mince in the slow cooker for shepherds pie ( and extras for the freezer) and the first load of washing nearly done.
    It's not been a bad month money wise, my food spends came to just under £124 and I wont need anything else till next month. Also my tin cupboard is filling up nicely for any emergencies or lean months. I'd allowed £150 so the extra will go on topping up the electricity.
    I'm also on day 11 of my 12 NSDs I'd planned for so I'm really a little bit smug with myself :)
    OH is also being supportive (or hasn't noticed) about less meat meals and going to the gym is going well. I'm nearly back into some of my clothes that I had grown out of.
    Later I'm going to sit down and make my Xmas plan ( I need to check what cards I have and who's getting what, Ive already picked up bits as I've seen them but I now need to get it in some sort of order)

I hope everyone is keeping warm, well and happy. Hugs to anyone feeling a little bit glum ( or even if you just need a hug :)

Better go
    Cuddles :)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • asparagus1968
    Options
    Really enjoying your tale cuddly.
    Another meal idea for you- "soup and sandwich" we usually do this on sunday teatime, especially if there has been a roast dinner for lunch.
    Also, if there is potato and veggies leftover from lunch, make "patties" and serve with bread and butter or a little salad.
    well done on the NSDs, that's great :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• busiscoming2
    Options
    Hello Cuddlymarm

I've only just spotted your diary and have subscribed.

Well done to both of you for 'getting on with it'. I hope you feel proud of what you have achieved :) and I look forward to reading about your progress.

It's good to be fugal and I enjoy the fun element of making things out of nothing. If you get really stuck, making soup from vegetable peelings (well washed first of course) is being really MS and the soup tastes just as good as if whole veg was used. I've done this on many occasions.
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Good morning frugallers :)

It's absolutely freeeeezing here, thank goodness for my big fluffy dressing gown I got for Xmas last year, it's really snugly :) The blue sky and sunshine is nice though.
    I'm plodding along nicely, I've made a list of what we need for the Xmas food and treats and that is gradually building a couple of bits a week in my shopping and I hardly notice.
    I'm feeling a little unsettled at the moment cos there are cutbacks at OHs work. He's not in the firing line but I do so feel for the guys losing their jobs, it always seems to be near Xmas that these things happen. It's unsettled him too and he's talking about wanting to retire earlier than we had originally planned ( still a few years away though) I think it's probably time to look at the bills again and see if anything can be pruned down a bit after all every penny adds up over time.
    The shopping I collected on Saturday can be made to stretch out till the end of next week and I'm currently knitting my men scarves and will make the Xmas pressies look more than they are with bits like gloves and selection boxes ( I know they are grown up but we still do Xmas well even if not expensive)
    Anyway time to get on with my day
    Keep warm and well everyone
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I am enjoying the thread cuddlymarm! hmmmm paring down isn't easy is it? and the threat of cutbacks at work always makes EVERY employee uneasy. They are looking for voluntary redundancies in my OHs work right now and he was really looking forward to putting in for it and retiring three years early - sadly, its not his job level they want the redundancies in! sad for him, but good news for his much younger colleagues. but, we both think that if they don't get the number they want, then it will be forced redundancies - and that makes EVERYONE uneasy. The company CANT go under - but they are notorious for 'outsourcing' work. doesn't seem to occur to the dunderheads its actually cheaper to employ their own people - after all, the companies taking the outsourced work make a profit!
    still, its a worry.
    want another really cheap recipe? and yes it involves sausages!
    feeds at least four people as a main course and about a dozen as a party plate.
    pack of sausages
    pack of puff pastry
    EITHER some leftover apple sauce or stuffing or a quarter of an onion grated
    take the sausages out of the skins (or buy sausagemeat), and roll out your puff pastry (or buy the ready rolled and use 'as is').
    place your sausagemeat about an inch away from the long edge and top with the apple sauce/stuffing/grated onion. season with a bit of salt and pepper if you want.
    now roll it up. put it seam side down on a baking tray and brush the top with milk (if you want you can do fancy slashes with a knife - but I don't bother). bake in a fairly hot oven Gas 7 for about 30 mins, checking after 25 mins.
    I think this makes a lovely supper dish served with veg of your choice or left to go cold and served with a salad.
    you can also serve it with mash and onion gravy.
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Good morning everyone ��

Just checking in to let you know I'm still plodding along. Full of a cold though ( I think most people are at the mo) OH brought it home from work I think. The exercise and sensible eating is going well and a big chunk of this weeks shop is towards xmas. One of my cupboards is gradually moving over to being the xmas stuff.
    We are visiting family this weekend so I have got their littlies presents ready and will sneak them to my niece to hide. We won't see them before Xmas so this will save on postage. I've also arranged with my sister in law to send the pressies for that branch of the family up with my brother in law ( he works down here and goes home weekends) when he comes for tea. For the price of the postage it's worth a little organisation.
    I'm nearly back into a pair of jeans I grew out of a while ago which is nice and I've promised myself when I hit targets to buy something to wear. A lot of my clothes are so old that they are self destructing in the wash and a treat occasionally will keep me on track. OH is now well on truly on board with the plan to get healthy and not to spend on takeaways and sweets.
    Today is catching up with the washing and getting the ironing pile sorted out. I have a rolling menu plan with always a few days ahead planned but there are veg turning bendy so I will tweak it a bit to use those up first.
    Apart from Xmas stuff I am spending very little. OH has a meeting with one of his bosses later this week so then we will know more about his firm downsizing and how it's going to work. It's unsettling but all I can do is be organised so we can manage for a while if it does go pear shaped.
    Anyway enough of my waffling. I hope everyone is keeping warm and snug and doing ok ��
    Cuddles��
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Good morning guys :)

I think today is going to be a slow day, this cold is knocking the stuffing out of me so I'm going to take it slowly. We were both awake at 3 o'clock this morning cos OH woke with a really sore throat, not good cos there was no way he could stay home today. First day of breaking the news to his people of changes at work, making sure it's done properly and they are ok.

The stocks are building nicely, I tidy the freezer and cupboards before my next lot of shopping comes in to rotate it. I've now 6 lots of meals in the freezer and the tin cupboard is still full so could last at least a week without shopping if necessary. I can't have the freezer too full at the mo because the Xmas food is starting to arrive ( the pigs in blankets and little sausages are this weeks buy because they were on offer.) There would be an uproar on Xmas day without lots of both. Next week I will look for offers on a nice puddings for xmas day, we eat sandwiches etc on Boxing Day with Xmas pud for afters and a big brunch of bubble and squeak with the leftovers from Xmas dinner ( nothing goes to waste in this house)

Does anyone know whether smoked salmon freezes ok. I try not to pay full price for anything if possible :)

It is dull and dismal here today, not as cold though. I think today will be a snuggle up on the sofa with my knitting day. Eldest sons scarf finished so now to get on with youngests after I've done what jobs can't wait.

Better get on
    Have a good day everyone. Keep warm and well :)
    Cuddles :)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family