Reclaim lost assets for free discussion

Comments

• I have just found a certificate in my name issued by National Westminster Portfolio Investment fund dated 31 December 1979. The trustee is Royal Exchange Assurance and the managers are National Westminster Unit Trust Managers Ltd. Do the units have any value? Whom should I contact regarding them? All help appreciated greatly.
  • Hi everyone

hope someone can point me in the right direction here

My parents are in their 80's and have asked me to go through life insurance and funeral plans for them.

I found 2 policies starting in 2000 for a company called phoenix, which i gather is the old pearl insurance

I called them and got a figure that my parents are happy with to cash in

Now

After looking through all their other documents I have found another 6 policies dating from the early 1980's that look like they stopped in the late 1990's and then new policies were taken out in 2000

Can we cash these in? and if so will phoenix have the information for these

They were paid by the doorstep insurance men, every week since 1982

We also have some AMP savings account statements, that we have no clue what they are and are coming in around £5000, we don't know if they are linked to the insurance taken in 2000 or they are different accounts with someone else

Hope someone can give me some advice on where to go from here
    and of there is any lost assets here

I have looked at the lost asset register but I am hoping I can find the correct information before paying out a fee

Thank you
  • dunmoanin
    dunmoanin Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 18 July 2015 at 5:13PM
    Greetings! I've just received a letter from Barnett Waddingham, LLP, an independent provider of actuarial, administration and consultancy service. They refer to another well known company whose group pension fund is now being handled by Barnett Waddingham. Having traced me to my current address, Barnett Waddingham are asking me to confirm my address, Email, NI number and date of birth, along with my signature in order to update my record. Is this something I should be cautious about or is it normal practice for a company of this nature to seek that information? I hasten to add the pension in question is absolutely tiny - maybe just a hundred or so pounds lump sum due to such a brief period of membership back in the 70's. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for any advice.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I took MSE advice and filled in the online form to search for lost accounts.
    I have now started to receive replys back from the institutions that I named as possibly holding lost accounts of mine.

No real surprises up until today when I got a letter from the Nationwide saying that they have not been able to trace any details of accounts held with them using the information kindly provided.
    This I find very surprising as I hold an active but not recently used Regular Saver account with them which I expected would be listed as a result of their search, if the search had been done properly.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Nationwide got back to me today in reply to a letter that I had sent saying how disappointed I was with the resutl of their search.

The guy was quite polite and seemed to take on board my complaint about the wording of their letter and appologised for the impression that I had taken from it.

Hopefully something will be done for any future enquiries but for me, the end has come, I will not take another account with them.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    torbrex wrote: »
    No real surprises up until today when I got a letter from the Nationwide saying that they have not been able to trace any details of accounts held with them using the information kindly provided.
    This I find very surprising as I hold an active but not recently used Regular Saver account with them which I expected would be listed as a result of their search, if the search had been done properly.

I think a few other posters mentioned this earlier in the thread. Somewhere on the mylostaccount site, it says the search is only for lost (i.e. dormant) accounts and banks won't search active accounts. I think this could be made clearer when you submit the search, but it makes sense to me.
  • Many years ago I worked for a small firm of architects that had set up their own company pension scheme with Scottish Amicable, now part of Royal London. When I left the practice after 18 months I was issued with a statement of paid up benefits indicating that I would receive a small annual pension upon reaching retirement age. I carefully hung on to this piece of paper for 40 years and having turned 65 earlier this year wrote to Royal London to see if I could claim my pension. I was disappointed to learn that the scheme had been closed about 20 years ago and the Trustees had, in effect, run off with my money, and no doubt that of other former employees. In my case this was of no great significance but I wonder how often this occurs when there are larger sums at stake. So your followers should be aware that they may well find a similar situation when chasing up a long lost pension.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but I wonder how often this occurs when there are larger sums at stake.

Since Maxwell it doesnt. Plus, it does not occur on insurance company run contracts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I carefully hung on to this piece of paper for 40 years and having turned 65 earlier this year wrote to Royal London to see if I could claim my pension. I was disappointed to learn that the scheme had been closed about 20 years ago and the Trustees had, in effect, run off with my money, and no doubt that of other former employees. In my case this was of no great significance

Over 45 years, I worked for a High Street bank for about 18 months and contributed to the pension scheme. At age 65 I was given my pension as a one-off lump sum, less than £17!! So you probably haven't lost much!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hi if anyone can shed any light on what I can do regarding lost money in portugal.
    My dad died last year he had returned from living in portugal about 14 years ago and said he had lost several thousand pounds because he couldnt bring money back to the uk. After his death I checked all his paperwork but couldnt find anything relating to this money does anyone know how I can look for a lost bank account in portugal and would he have just lost that money or will it be in an account somewhere
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback