Two Pennies Left

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 July 2012 at 7:01PM
    Yes, another NSD today :j. Also on the 'Bread' front:
    • 17 items listed on Fleabay. Some are only titchy but all the Fleabay items are going towards replenshing the wine rack so every £2 earned is 1/3rd of a bottle of wine :) 1 item has sold already. An old Isle of Man 50p piece! Apparently people collect these and it's raised 99p so far (1 glass) :beer:
    • the other half of last night's Sausage Goulash and Pear and Rhubarb Crumble for dinner tonight. Goulash was from this week's meal plan and the Crumble was made with Pears we brought back from holiday last week and needed using up with rhubarb from the garden. A lovely treat because we don't usually have puddings - tooooo calorific!
    • Mr F has spent the day carrying out minor maintenance on the Landies. The new garage might even pay for itself... eventually :rotfl:
    • I've put my work claim together. I do a few hours admin work for a local organisation. It's a zero hours contract but usually brings me in about £100 per month. I'm due about £150 this time which will help offset my car tax next month.
    Other than that, a lazy day. Mr F is back at work tomorrow so normality should return.

This diary business really seems to be working for me. I'd never have managed 17 items on Fleabay in a weekend before. Thinking about each pound as a lovely glass of wine has really motivated me (:o not sure that is a good thing). I love keeping up with everyone else's adventures too - from dancing bananas to chocolate cake eating cats. :rotfl: You're mad you lot.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just found your diary.. you've made some great progress already in bashing down your mortgage! Well done and keep going, you'll be rid of it in no time!
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• Fortune_Smiles
    Thanks for popping by shala_moo. We have a repayment mortage at 2.5% which makes things a bit easier. We've also had a couple of 'windfalls' over the last few years and have been really good at using most of those for OPing too. More windfalls wouldn't go amiss though :rotfl:
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    edited 28 July 2012 at 7:02PM
    Mr F went back to work today so it feels a bit more normal around here. On the MS front:

• bank and credit card statements reconciled
    • coin bags picked up from the bank
    • Marmit£ jar coins counted and bagged - £17.85
    • two hours admin work completed - £16.74
    • claim form dropped into the office
    • 5 Fleabay items have sold already. Only £7.00 but hey - that's a whole bottle!
    • 'cupboard' lunch of baked potato with tuna mayonnaise, red onion and a rocket and tomato salad
    • chorizo hash dinner from this week's meal plan
    • forgot a family member owes us £128 and a cheque is in the post
    I know you will all be shaking your heads sagely at me but I'm going to round the Marmit£ money up to £20 and make an OP. Yes it should go off the credit card first aaaaand the savings are our next priority. But I just can't wait :j I await the wagging fingers.

I always try to have a 'cupboard' lunch when Mr F is at work rather than buy in anything specifically. Putting together a healthy, balanced meal by the end of week can get a bit challenging through :rotfl:

On the things to improve side, I forgot that Mr F was away this week so the meal plan has gone a little awry. Fortunately, some aren't perishable and can be carried over to next week.

Also, I realised that the chickens had run out of peck blocks and, because we had leftovers for dinner last night, there were no kitchen scraps for them either. Not usually a problem but it helps to keep them busy and happy when I can't let them out of their run. I couldn't let them out today so I felt compelled to buy them a cabbage from the Farm Shop whilst I was in the village. £1.10. If I'd been a bit more organised I could have got one for 85p from 0cad0 when I did my main shop. IT'S ONLY 25P! Is this what MSE does to you?:rotfl:

I did, however, manage to avoid buying a piece of Malt£z£r Tiffin whilst I was there. Very proud of myself because it is my very favourite. Looks like MSE is going to be good for my waist line too :)

Fortune x
  • NewLeaf_2
    NewLeaf_2 Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    wow well done on fleabay!

do your chickens have names
    Mortgage: £280,752/ £262,515.84
    hmrc:£16760/£5,480.20
    evil credit cards: £41,208/ £37,841
    Car: £18,800/£13,101.18
    Weight 13.9/ 12.6 -1 stone 3
    saving for refurb £2000/£700 1 July 2013
  • ammonite
    ammonite Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done Fortune :D I too have only just started (a few months ago) and the diary is so helpful to keep me motivated. I will re-visit it yearly for ideas. Last week I counted our annual coppers and had £19 - topped it up to £20 and popped it in the savings :)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Thanks for dropping by ammonite. Just caught up with your diary - wow! We have three target areas - home improvements, saving and OPs. Might be slow progress to start with :rotfl:I am alreading changing my habits though so going in the right direction.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    edited 28 July 2012 at 5:19PM
    Hello all. More MS behaviour from me today. This frantic activity can't last for much longer though - once the quick wins are out of the way, the marathon will commence :rotfl: So, today I have...
    • set my mortgage provider up as a payee on my current account so I can OP little and often
    • made an OP of £20. This is my very first OP since MSE :j
    • got my mortgage provider to quote me for home and contents insurance whilst I was on. Cheapest quote yet and will save me £200. Need to check there are no penalties for leaving my current insurer though.
    • Cupboard meals all day: spiced fruit compote with yoghurt, beans and cheese on toast, lemon pasta with tuna and broccoli.
    • Sourced some J0hn L3wis lamps I've been after for ages at a fraction of the price through Amaz0n. Can't get Super Saver delivery on them but I'm due some survey vouchers soon so could save £38.28 on them. Really pleased with this because I would have just ordered them from JL without thinking before.
    • Nearly forgot but my Fleabay sales are up to £10 now including 3 old pound notes and two old Isle of Man 50 pence pieces. Am I missing something? Is 'old' money the investment opportunity of the moment? My MS self is laughing her head off.
    Won't be much MS from me tomorrow. Lunch with a friend and a browse round the local antique shops. I have printed off some restaurant vouchers though so at least there's some damage limitation :rotfl:

Have a good evening

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    edited 28 July 2012 at 7:04PM
    ... but sadly not for me :o. I did expect to spend more than save today but I did try to do some MS damage limitation too:

• Ordered the water harvesting tanks for the garage. These were a condition of the planning permission and helped to satisfy the Building Control requirements for surface water run off (we are on clay soil). £653.98 :eek: All budgeted for though in the garage fund so no impact on my signature.
    • Met a friend for lunch in a lovely local village. I checked for restaurant vouchers first though. Not much available as it's quite a small place but Pr£zz0 had an offer of two courses for £10 so we ate there. £5 less to pay. Also I ate so much pizza and cheesecake I'm still too full to eat dinner :o
    • Ran out of moisturiser this morning. I knew the bottom of the jar was threatening and had been looking around for discounts. It's a posh one so nothing doing through £co, etc. However, we popped into the village chemists and found that they stocked the brand. They also had some gift packs (probably left over from Christmas) so I got the moisturer plus a cleanser and a toner thrown in. I will use the toner so that's a saving of £13 and the cleanser I'll put on Fleabay and might get £5 for that. It's an expensive luxury but not something I want to give up so getting a bit more for my money helps to compensate.
    • Lots of MS discussions with my friend over lunch. She buys beer for her husband but only puts out 4 cans and hides the rest. Apparently, a husband's capacity for beer expands to accommodate the beer available. If 8 cans are available, 8 cans will be drunk etc. Having analysed my own husband's beer drinking habits I think this might be a scientific fact :rotfl:
    • I've calculated that we will have £600 left over after pay day. However, we are waiting for our builder to quote for the guttering for the garage so might find there's not much change out of that :(.
    Most exciting event of the day - I was asked to be a Marshall for the Olympic Torch tomorrow :T . I might even get on the telly - look out for me, I'll be the one in the orange jacket :rotfl:

Take care all

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    edited 28 July 2012 at 7:07PM
    Forgot to mention earlier that I tried the the Waitr0$e online delivery service today and am very impressed. I'd been let down a few times by my usual supermarket so thought I'd take advantage of the introductory offer - £20 off a £100 spend.

So glad I tried them. They only offer 2 hour delivery slots compared to my previous 1 hour slots. However, the delivery was on time and the driver was friendly and took time to explain how things worked. There were 2 substitutions but they were sensible and I only paid the price of my original choice even if the substitutions cost more. I got 3 items free as they weren't able to provide them with a use by date of 2 days or more. And I got a welcome pack including:

• a hessian bag for life
    • a tea towel
    • 2 magazines worth £1.20 each
    • a sample butter biscuit (nom nom)
    • vouchers for £70 off over my next four orders :j
    The overall cost of my shopping was the same as usual and there is no delivery charge on orders over £50 so - Go Waitr0se! :T

Just so you know I've still got my MS head on. We live in a very rural area and the nearest supermarkets are about 15 miles away (no A1di here). Adding up the mileage, parking and time it makes much more sense to get stuff delivered.

Anyway, I am sooo impressed I'm going to write to Waitr0$e and tell them :rotfl:

Fortune x

PS Is there a rule about mentioning companies/brands on here? I notice some people use pseudonyms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure