MSE News: Tesco outlaws 'wrong item' vouchers

Comments

• heatherks
    heatherks Posts: 854 Forumite
    the way i see it for every genuine coupon handed over someone has probably bought the product at some time during the week / month without even thinking of using a coupon ..... its the ones that have mass produced them for their own financial gain ...that have brought it to an end
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Originally Posted by Blackpool_Saver
    I still can't imagine offering a voucher for the wrong product...
    Originally Posted by madmuppet5
    Me neither :rolleyes:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Goodness, there is a lot of "moral high ground" being taken on this thread!

I hope they realise that their greed has spoilt it for many others, possibly including those who relied on the use of vouchers to reduce their food bills to a level they could more comfortably manage.

Not really, i'm another one who wouldn't dream of using a voucher for something I hadn't purchased, it just doesn't seem right.

If someone is relying on vouchers to reduce their shopping bills then I suppose they need to look at what they're buying? I'm sure the supermarkets haven't always accepted these vouchers for anything.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • My local Tesco has always actively encouraged shoppers to use vouchers even though they are not purchasing the items. As long as you don't go overboard I am have been told on a few occasions that during the day/week other shoppers will have bought the item and not used the voucher. As long as the shop sells the product they have no issue with it. I actually used vouchers tonight (before I knew of the ruling - I've literally only just read about it) - a total of £1.30 off my shopping. It's not a huge shame that they have now stopped as I do receive quite a lot of money off vouchers from Tesco e.g £3 off a £30 shop etc.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Goodness, there is a lot of "moral high ground" being taken on this thread!

I certainly have used other than products purchased coupons in Tesco - their policy was that they took them, in our store they limited to three, comprising no more than 10% of the total value of your bill. If that was their policy (and a well publicised one, at that) I can't for a second see any problem with it. The reason things have changed would appear to be down to a relatively small number of idiots abusing the system totally - sadly I suspect from other threads that some of them probably are members on here - I hope they realise that their greed has spoilt it for many others, possibly including those who relied on the use of vouchers to reduce their food bills to a level they could more comfortably manage.

You right;
    I don't think its so much the odd £1 or £2 spent here or there per week off a shopping bill, but more like the greedy people who spend much more...and walk off without paying a penny! I've read it on here, read it on other forums, still can't believe people actually have the audacity! And now they have ruined it for some of those that do use their vouchers responsibly and not overtime!

They stopped allowing unchecked vouchers in my local Tesco (and Sainsburys, and anywhere else) without seeing you hold the item in your hand first a long long time ago, so may not be an issue for me, but I feel for those poorer families that did only use the odd few pence in vouchers per week and really needed it.
  • elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I personaly agree with their new policy, the coupons have been abused by a few people for far to long. I doubt if the average tesco shopper will change their supermarket because of this new stance and who knows it may even lead to a few natural price reductions in the future.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • This decision MUST have been taken due to 'outside pressure' from the manufacturers. Reason I say that is that, at the moment, Tesco are desparate for sales! Growth of 'only' 2.8% in the last 6 months when rrivals like Sainsburys and Morrisons have seen 7-8% sales growth. This initiative must have been a huge money-spinner for Tesco. The full year results will be interesting indeed. Of course they are still far and away the biggest supermarket in the Uk but the signs are they are on a downward trend. About time they actually concentrated on their prices instead of these silly marketing 'tricks' IMO.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • There are other major supermarkets out there. lets see who is the first to advertise that they will take the vouchers. ;)

I'm sure that if Morrisons can knock nearly £2.00 off some beans they can accept a voucher off some products.

I bought a total of £46.09 worth of items the other day in Wilkos and with out using any vouchers the bill came to £14.81 with the discounts they offered. :j

Just makes you think what type of money these companies are making.:eek:
  • If the supermarket accepts a money off voucher from a customer for a product they have not sold to that customer it is the fault of the supermarket not the customer. Accusing the customer of theft is stupid, to me it is simply fraud on the part of the supermarket claiming back the cost and their own stupid fault for accepting it.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure