Business bank account with bad credit rating

i have started my own small business. i am a sole trader. but i have yet to set up a business bank account. tried to do so with my bank who i have my current account with, but they said with a bad credit past, if i don't pass a credit check, i would not get the business account.

So my question is, which bank can i go to, to open a business account, that will not need a credit check, or at least would not be concerend that i have bad credit history. I do not need an overdraft or any credit facilities. i just need to be able to pay in cheques in my business name, maybe set up some standing orders from my account. the normal things you would expect.

any advice?

Comments

• anyone? really need help here....
  • Google is your friend Nat West used to have a step type of account for business.
    If Nat West is your current bank forget the above.
  • Thanks Jones

i have tried to find something in google. but all i get is dodgy looking companies who say they can guarantee me a bank account, for a fee. Im reluctant to go down that route, as i am sure someone else has been in this situation before, hopefully on this forum.

I could try Natwest, but i do have a checkered past with them, with a credit card!
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Absolutely don't go for one of the paid accounts. Good call.

How bad is your credit history? Do you have any accounts currently in arrears / defaulted, or are all your prior arrears / defaults paid up? Have you any CCJs? When did you last miss a payment? Any accounts in a reduced repayment agreement?

You may find that if you've had problems in the past, but your credit file shows they are definitely in the past and your recent history is fine, you can still pass the credit check for a full business account. Natwest are in fact relatively lenient for bank accounts.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • thank you

I have a debt management agreement in place, and have done for over a year, both that and my current bank account have been run perfectly over the past year. but i have received a recent unexpected ccj.

should i try natwest?
  • clcr
    clcr Posts: 2 Newbie
    Anyone help with this?
    I have a bad credit rating but need to open a business bank account. Don't want a credit card or an overdraft. Just a basic business bank account with debit card.
    Can I trust the organisations Google throws up saying they'll get you a business bank account if you pay them money?
    thanks,
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    clcr wrote: »
    Anyone help with this?
    I have a bad credit rating but need to open a business bank account. Don't want a credit card or an overdraft. Just a basic business bank account with debit card.
    Can I trust the organisations Google throws up saying they'll get you a business bank account if you pay them money?
    thanks,
    No you can't.
    You pays your money you lose your monies - simples.
    Does your accountant not have any contacts with any banks?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Natwest or RBS foundation account maybe an option for you they are designed for people with a poor credit history.

http://www.natwest.com/business/products/business-current-accounts/foundation-current-account.ashx

http://www.rbs.co.uk/business/current-accounts/g1/foundation.ashx
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Opening through third party
    The companies that offer a bank account usually lay out the costs prior. If it's off the net you need to invest the time to read the small print on costs

They do work for some cases often opening the account for you if they cannot get you an account direct (Managed account)

I have tried the managed account then progressed to Foundation - they charge per month

They can act as a reference if you are then ready to progress to the full account
  • clcr
    clcr Posts: 2 Newbie
    thanks so much for you help.
    I am going to go into the local RBS and have a chat with them about their foundation account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure