losing the value of cash savings

Comments

• lluzers
    lluzers Posts: 133 Forumite
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    lluzers, are you a pensioner with cash savings which are reducing due to inflation?

This site and the wise people on here can give you some excellent pointers if so.
    Yes
    I am a pensioner with £100k cash.I am looking for inflation adjusted returns , I don't mean governments manipulated inflation figures.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lluzers wrote: »
    Agreed

But this sector makes money by screwing the pensioners with property , leaving their homes in the hands of these sector.
    So do you only invest in rigorously screened ethical funds, or are you in BAT/Philip Morris etc. and happy to profit from people dying of lung cancer?
  • lluzers
    So do you only invest in rigorously screened ethical funds, or are you in BAT/Philip Morris etc. and happy to profit from people dying of lung cancer?

ethical funds paying good dividends and maintaining margins.
  • aroominyork
    ethical funds paying good dividends and maintaining margins.
    Are you saying you are only invested in ethical funds and that they are all paying you good dividends, or that you would only invest in ethical funds if they paid you good dividends?
  • lluzers
    Are you saying you are only invested in ethical funds and that they are all paying you good dividends, or that you would only invest in ethical funds if they paid you good dividends?
    only invest in ethical funds paying good dividends.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Most people here suffer from the "Dunning Kruger effect"

Where is your evidence for this?

Do you mean the Savings and Investments Forum or the MSE forums in general?

The site as a whole covers the whole spectrum from unfortunate individuals some of whom are in desperate circumstances financially (many of them through no fault of their own) and those who have (and have made) multiple millions of pounds through astute decisions and/or good fortune.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like yours.

That is, unless Eskbanker has been very perceptive.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • aroominyork
    only invest in ethical funds paying good dividends.
    Then I hope you will not criticise people who invest in equity release firms.

That said, I sympathise with your situation of you being a pensioner who cannot take long term investment risk and is seeing the value of your capital being eroded in inflation.
  • lluzers
    ChesterDog wrote: »
    Where is your evidence for this?

Do you mean the Savings and Investments Forum or the MSE forums in general?

I can see the evidence in the Savings and Investments Forum , where people talk about receiving interest incomes and house prices going up , when their cash real returns are negative and house prices are not going up but the value of their money has been going down.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 5:56PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Is your post meant to make people miserable or to imply that you know of better ways of dealing with money ?

I've no idea what the OP is going to suggest but I can safely say there are a large number of posters here that certainly know of better ways of dealing with money than leaving it all in cash.
    I can see the evidence in the Savings and Investments Forum , where people talk about receiving interest incomes and house prices going up , when their cash real returns are negative and house prices are not going up but the value of their money has been going down.

You seem to be ignoring all the posts about investments not cash savings. It is after all the Savings AND Investment forum.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • lluzers
    jimjames wrote: »

You seem to be ignoring all the posts about investments not cash savings. It is after all the Savings AND Investment forum.

Why should anyone take advice on investments which could be duds , if they turned out to be duds , when he is trying to keep hold of what he has.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure