prices on till not matching price on shelf

Is anyone else sick to death of this and getting to the till and the price is different to the shelf talker.

I had this in Somerfield with Bold a few weeks ago it was all wrong and i had to try and sort it out going from queue to shelf and back again, and you never get an apology. :mad: Yesterday i had it in savers they nearly overcharged me for a toiletry item, but i knew the price it should have been. I had to wait for a refund though as the manager has to come, and not so much as a sorry. I have no idea whether they change it either and if they dont they are making money from people who arent on the ball.

is there anything that can be done and why dont shops get their act together and make sure it all tallys up save everyone alot of aggro.
:footie:

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I remember Tescos used to have a 'Refund & Retain' policy for when this happened ... but that got withdrawn because of how badly the system was abused by a minority of opportunists.

ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    what do you mean abused it it shouldnt happen in the first place. It is not right to overcharge customers.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    red_devil wrote: »
    what do you mean abused it it shouldnt happen in the first place. It is not right to overcharge customers.
    Many things are not right, but humans make mistakes ... one has to determine if the shelf price is right or if the till price is right ... that is why the contract is formed at the check-out at which point the customer can decide they do not wish to purchase ... the shelf price is only an invitation to buy (and I accept there are misleading advertising issues).

Mistakes happen and I am inclined to think the majority are 'genuine' (some you will win some you will lose .. although it seems strange that people only spot those in their favour ;)) ... on the other hand, as has been seen in the past, people move, take or change shelf prices for their own purposes (no comment on the OP).

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite

As the comment above says it's all very fine saying this but have you never made a mistake?

I have a bit of a gripe with people who say mistakes shouldn't happen. In my book if you say this then you should never make a mistake yourself. Now no-one can ever say they had never made a mistake so in all honesty whats the point in preaching a hypothetical situation you can't achieve yourself?
  • red_devil
    i have taken advice from trading standards its illegal to be advertising two different prices they can visit the shop and investigate.

It is not up to the customer to go round checking the prices etc and have to wait in the queue for a refund and no apology, it is bad management when this happens. Customer service is extremely poor in this country.

Im sure you wouldnt like to be overcharged in a shop because they couldnt get their act together. I never win any either its always in their favour.
  • uktim29
    Rubbish, 50% of the time you'll be charged cheaper.

By the way, if corrected incorrect prices aren't illegal.

Even of Trading standards websites they say they are highly unlkiely to take any action about incorrect shelf edge labels.
    Customer service is extremely poor in this country

Classic cynic rubbish (speaks cynical point of view as if fact with no actual unbiased research). How on earth would you have ever been able to do a worldwide survey in enough countries on all aspects of service to really know!!!!
  • red_devil
    uktim29 wrote: »
    As the comment above says it's all very fine saying this but have you never made a mistake?

I have a bit of a gripe with people who say mistakes shouldn't happen. In my book if you say this then you should never make a mistake yourself. Now no-one can ever say they had never made a mistake so in all honesty whats the point in preaching a hypothetical situation you can't achieve yourself?

what on earth do you mean have i never made a mistake it happens ALL THE TIME managers are incompetent, staff at the till get fed up too, its not up to the customer to go round questioning and checking all the time and holding the queue up, its a waste of everyones time and energy.:rolleyes: Do you ever get a sorry either and a we will put that right straight away? Customer service in this country stinks. How many people smile at the till and say good morning/afternoon or chat to you not their work mate about where they are going at the weekend, but thats another topic.

if they charge more than it says on the shelf talker then they are overcharging. Its not allowed and its incompetent there is nothing more i can say on it.
  • uktim29
    what on earth do you mean have i never made a mistake Because you must have

it happens ALL THE TIME managers are incompetent, staff at the till get fed up too, its not up to the customer to go round questioning and checking all the time and holding the queue up, its a waste of everyones time and energy.:rolleyes: Poor old you

Do you ever get a sorry either and a we will put that right straight away?

Yes

Customer service in this country stinks.

Cynic

How many people smile at the till and say good morning/afternoon

All the time

or chat to you not their work mate about where they are going at the weekend, but thats another topic.

Cynic

if they charge more than it says on the shelf talker then they are overcharging. Its not allowed and its incompetent there is nothing more i can say on it.

Apart from ignore when it works out in your favour, which it will 50% of the time.

Cynics form their own future/happiness. If you want to live like this then all you'll notice ever is fault, your mind will blank everything that works out in your favour.

To be honest, I think you cynics enjoy it though don't you? Keeps you all going.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you ever worked in Price Control (or equivalent for other stores, I work for Sainsbury's) ? It is not uncommon for over 1000 price increases to need changing. Believe me it is not easy - especially in a large supermarket, there are just so many and you can't remember exactly where every product is. It doesn't help that some are genuinely not there, or have been moved since yesterday, or have been shoved into two different places. We do our best. I can't speak for customer service, but as soon as we notice an error we correct it ASAP - always in the customers favour. No one is perfect, I'm afraid!
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    So if the price on the shelf edge said £14.99 and when you went to the till it was £9.99 would you kick up the same fuss?
    The prices are change automatically on the till but then some poor, overworked, underpayed shop worker has to trapse around the store changing the prices.
    Where I worked, which was a stationers we used to get price changes daily and sometimes it was pysically impossible to change them all when you have a manager telling you to "pop on the till for a few hours" - but I havent done my price changes.
    "Never mind - do them later"..... BONG
    End of shift.
    Home I trot without doing the price changes and then have the same amount the next day PLUS the ones I didn't have time to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure